Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #1

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
The narrow road/path often untraveled.

Why is it that the most-difficult thing you have to do in life is usually the right/better thing to do? What is that?

Thoughts?

Ideas?

Arguments? I'm open to all of em...I'm frustrated and besides myself with emotion.

Somebody speak!
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #2

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Send a message via MSN to Hydra Send a message via Yahoo to Hydra
Re: The narrow road/path often untraveled.

Me too. XD;

I can't say right now. Anna's pretty much fed up with me, because of the past, and the future we both know. I'm not sure whether to swoop in and save her, for it may be too late, or to let her go, and pray someone else can mend her up.

I do plan the first one, but then the second one may fail, due to the tragic downfall of the first. And you never know if the first may work if you do the second.

So, I'm pretty much stuck. I'm not sure which road to take.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #3

dappa
Master Summoner

Good question

I made a decision today about someone and its been tearing me apart emotionally.

I'll bounce back soon
Old 07-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #4

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor

You know, very often in life I do not agree with that statement. The hard way out of anything for me has seemed to only do one thing; ruin my life entirely. I don't feel like disclosing a personal example/experience, but believe me, this is how I have felt about 99% of the time when it comes to making hard descisions.

But the few times that your statement has been correct has only been right in social relationships...I wonder if that has some sort of significance. You can take the easy way out on almost everything else, but when it comes to relationships, there's no easy way out...?

And Hydra, don't be like me and try to find an easy way out of your situation. I think that you should be supportive no matter what the circumstances.

However...it's YOUR choice to make, and I shouldn't barge in. Just do whatever you feel would be best, for her, and for you. Even if you worry about someone else, never forget about yourself.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #5

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

It's to the point where I can do anything for her sake. Even let her go, because it may make her happier than she is now, over the course of time. I, not anytime soon, plan to take any kind of way out that'd leave problems unsolved.

And Faust, the reason it doesn't work is because easy roads don't solve the problem. It just makes it go away. It can be gone for the rest of your life too. The hard roads make you work, and you have a better chance of failing, but you'll obviously have a better outcome than the easy road. Because the situation will be GONE, not forgotten. And you can remember anything you forget.

Last edited by Hydra; 07-15-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #6

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra
It's to the point where I can do anything for her sake. Even let her go, because it may make her happier than she is now, over the course of time. I, not anytime soon, plan to take any kind of way out that'd leave problems unsolved.

And Faust, the reason it doesn't work is because easy roads don't solve the problem. It just makes it go away. It can be gone for the rest of your life too. The hard roads make you work, and you have a better chance of failing, but you'll obviously have a better outcome than the easy road. Because the situation will be GONE, not forgotten. And you can remember anything you forget.
I'm...not sure I quite fully understand. I'm still too naive, I suppose...I'm not sure, really. I would have nornally expected myself to comprehend something like this...but all I can do is stare at your words, over and over, and think of nothing else to say...for now, I can suppose that you're right.

And I'm sorry I tried to make a personal opinion about your relationship...it's none of my buisness, really. <_< I apologize.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #7

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

I guess it's a good thing you don't understand. Naivety can be great, when it's supposed to. When you're naive, you don't ever think about what you COULD have done. You dwell on what you HAVE done. And believe you me, dwelling on my "What If's" and my problems together, that's too much for ANYONE to take.

So being dumbfounded is a gift. You take the hard road, and never think about how easy the easy road is. You devote your time to what you want, and that's getting to the end of the road.

And it's quite alright Faust. =D Nothing to apologize for.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 AM   #8

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing you don't understand. Naivety can be great, when it's supposed to. When you're naive, you don't ever think about what you COULD have done. You dwell on what you HAVE done. And believe you me, dwelling on my "What If's" and my problems together, that's too much for ANYONE to take.

So being dumbfounded is a gift. You take the hard road, and never think about how easy the easy road is. You devote your time to what you want, and that's getting to the end of the road.

And it's quite alright Faust. =D Nothing to apologize for.
Never in my life have I ever thought that being naive was really a good thing...sure, what you say is true...but, to me, being naive is a form of stupidity. Towards myself, anyway. I would never call someone else stupid if they were being naive. Argh, I don't know. ._.; I suppose that I'm truly dumbfounded now. X}

But if I AM naive, (and this can go for anyone else,) then does that always mean that I will take the hard road? Is it really such a good thing that I don't understand? Isn't it sometimes selfish to only be able to take care of yourself, because of something you don't exactly GET about someone/something else? I think that it's just too important that everyone SHOULD know...

I'm quite confused..
Old 07-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #9

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

That's the point Fausty. :3

Okay, imagine this.

Imagine you had a problem. Would you rather know every single thing about the problem, have the risk of over analyzing it, and too caught up in thinking about it that you never get the problem solved?

Or would you rather be stupid, not knowing, and have what's going to happen be a surprise as it happens? It'd be much easier to handle, since it's new to you, and you'd handle it with caution, but not too much caution. Whereas if you knew what would happen beforehand, you'd be overthinking it so much, you wouldn't have the chance to actually do anything about it.

Which is better?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #10

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Quote:
That's the point Fausty. :3

Okay, imagine this.

Imagine you had a problem. Would you rather know every single thing about the problem, have the risk of over analyzing it, and too caught up in thinking about it that you never get the problem solved?

Or would you rather be stupid, not knowing, and have what's going to happen be a surprise as it happens? It'd be much easier to handle, since it's new to you, and you'd handle it with caution, but not too much caution. Whereas if you knew what would happen beforehand, you'd be overthinking it so much, you wouldn't have the chance to actually do anything about it.

Which is better?
I guess I would rather not know too much beforehand...but answer me this; if you came across a terrible problem in which you knew nothing about, beforehand, at ALL, and could do nothing about it until it had completely changed your life, for the worse....and if you had known SOMETHING, even one little detail, you could have changed everything? Haven't you ever wished just once that you could change something that went wrong? Everyone does, don't they?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #11

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

I see what yer saying, minus for the worst part.

Only good comes out of situations like that. Know why? You're not as naive as you used to be. If you were so naive to let it happen to you, you wouldn't be a strong person, would you? Of course tragedies hurt. And I imagine on either road lies tragedy.

But only truly stupid people don't learn from their mistakes. They do the same thing over and over, and wonder why all the bad happens to them. It's because they let it. Sad things happen in life not only to slow you down. They're made to improve your point of view about it, so it doesn't happen a second time.

Which relates back to the naivety thing I said. If you're naive, you never see it coming, and while the hurt is much more worse than it should be, you have a chance of improving the situation by gaining insight yourself. That way, the hurt subsides(or at least lessens), while you come out of the situation a stronger person.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #12

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Quote:
I see what yer saying, minus for the worst part.

Only good comes out of situations like that. Know why? You're not as naive as you used to be. If you were so naive to let it happen to you, you wouldn't be a strong person, would you? Of course tragedies hurt. And I imagine on either road lies tragedy.

But only truly stupid people don't learn from their mistakes. They do the same thing over and over, and wonder why all the bad happens to them. It's because they let it. Sad things happen in life not only to slow you down. They're made to improve your point of view about it, so it doesn't happen a second time.

Which relates back to the naivety thing I said. If you're naive, you never see it coming, and while the hurt is much more worse than it should be, you have a chance of improving the situation by gaining insight yourself. That way, the hurt subsides(or at least lessens), while you come out of the situation a stronger person.
So in the end, you would end up being a little less naive, after all, eh?

But there are those who do not come out stronger...which brings me back to taking the 'easy' way out...a good example is committing suicide after a traumatic event, emotional or physical. I don't say mental, because I believe that whatever you think mentally has some sort of connection to how you feel emotionally, no matter how insignificant the feeling. Mood does affect the way one thinks, does it not?

But otherwise, you're right; in most situations, we can only learn and grow stronger from something that happens to us, to someone else...
Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 AM   #13

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Faust
So in the end, you would end up being a little less naive, after all, eh?

But there are those who do not come out stronger...which brings me back to taking the 'easy' way out...a good example is committing suicide after a traumatic event, emotional or physical. I don't say mental, because I believe that whatever you think mentally has some sort of connection to how you feel emotionally, no matter how insignificant the feeling. Mood does affect the way one thinks, does it not?

But otherwise, you're right; in most situations, we can only learn and grow stronger from something that happens to us, to someone else...
In which case, they were too much aware of the situation to learn. In most cases like that, you know a little something about the outcome before it happens, or you always become stronger.

Let meh use moar examples! :O For example! (), a video game. Pokemon, even. You pit a level five Pokemon against a level 5 Pokemon. The battle is hard, because it's the same level as you. And yet, you gain a LOT from the battle, because it's near your limit.

Now, pit a level 50 Pokemon against a level 5 Pokemon. You can KO it in one hit, and gain little to no experience, due to you being beyond it's level.

See where I'm going with this? The only possible way you'd not gain anything from a situation where you're FORCED to learn, is if you already know. Let's apply this to the roads. I'll make it simple. ^_^

If you don't know what's at the end of the road, it's much more greater to get there, isn't it? And yet, if you know what's at the end, what's the point of going down it? You know what'll happen anyway. But there's no way you'd not know what's down the road, and have no reason for going down the road in the first place(this applies to the bolded statement.)
Old 07-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #14

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Quote:
In which case, they were too much aware of the situation to learn. In most cases like that, you know a little something about the outcome before it happens, or you always become stronger.

Let meh use moar examples! :O For example! (), a video game. Pokemon, even. You pit a level five Pokemon against a level 5 Pokemon. The battle is hard, because it's the same level as you. And yet, you gain a LOT from the battle, because it's near your limit.

Now, pit a level 50 Pokemon against a level 5 Pokemon. You can KO it in one hit, and gain little to no experience, due to you being beyond it's level.

See where I'm going with this? The only possible way you'd not gain anything from a situation where you're FORCED to learn, is if you already know. Let's apply this to the roads. I'll make it simple. ^_^

If you don't know what's at the end of the road, it's much more greater to get there, isn't it? And yet, if you know what's at the end, what's the point of going down it? You know what'll happen anyway. But there's no way you'd not know what's down the road, and have no reason for going down the road in the first place(this applies to the bolded statement.)
So...people who already know...they often won't come out any stronger in a difficult situation, if they already know what's going to happen...?

But something I have difficulty grasping is, those who are suffering at the time, BEFORE they have the chance to learn from a situation...I mean, depending on the situation, it could take a long time, right? A whole lifetime, even? If so, how does one cope until then...?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #15

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Correct.

Now the amount of time, is a whole different story. Some people are stronger than others. (I, myself, am braced for every single scenario in my situation. And believe you me, it took a while.)

But it'd be a lot easier to invest time in getting a dire situation fixed than just giving up on the situation and hoping it goes away, or something of the sort. As long as it takes, if it's for you to learn, and NEVER get yourself in that situation ever again, then I'd say it's pretty much worth it, wouldn't you?

Knowing that, people choose to live on and cope, knowing the hardships on the way. Some people just live with the depression on their mind, wishing they knew what'd happen, but not knowing the bliss of being naive. Some people get hobbies, and just forget about it until it arises, and maybe by that time, they'll be ready to face it. Many things, really.