Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #1

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
Wisdom, the final frontier.

What is it? Who's got it? Where does it come from? How can you tell if you are wise - or do only the fools think they are?

'Time is nobody's fool.' Ironically, time reveals them everyday. Time strips our fascades away and leaves us shivering, maybe at times crying, wondering where we all went wrong. 'Learn from your mistakes,...' we're told, '...or learn from other's so you don't repeat them.' Perhaps this is the ultimate advice anyone could ever give.

Socrates motto was "Know thyself." ...and they killed him for it! Where are you at, where did you come from and where are you going, and how will you know when you've arrived??? If we are totally consumed by our desires - with what we lust/envy after in life, how will we feel when we actually obtain it? Fulfilled? Maybe for a little while - but then what happens? The new car in a year or two becomes an old car. The new computer which works post haste now will become outdated. The television sets our parents bought for hundreds or even thousands of dollars will be obsolete if they want to stay 'mainstream' soon.....where does it all end? Is consumerism an answer, or a disease?

...ok, I'm almost done.

Why are the people who have less (by the world's standards) generally more-thankful for what they DO have, while the man/woman who strives for wealth is always jealous of the next man's bill...and envious about it?!

'Vanity, vanity, all life is vanity, a chasing after the wind.' Yet if you don't write down and constantly move toward/dream up new goals for your life you'll be driven by whichever wind decides to blow on you. My brain hurts. >_< ._.''
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #2

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Send a message via MSN to Hydra Send a message via Yahoo to Hydra
Re: Wisdom, the final frontier.

Rich people strive for bigger and better things, so when society makes a bigger thing, they have the power to buy it. And they'll make "bigger" material possessions forever, for rich people to waste their time and money on, and consider what a poor man would consider great, poor.

That's the difference between a farmer and a businessman. You can give a farmer something a businessman would consider outdated, and he'll use it forever. It's all he can get, and he'll use it to its dying point. The less ignorant people are the poor people, but if you gave them the power and control, they wouldn't be any different than the arrogant rich people, who bathe in their money and don't give a crap about anyone else.

Poverty is a good thing, non financially. Money wise, it's a bad place to be. O_O; But you work when you're poor, and you learn to appreciate the small things, and you gain a lot more wisdom working than you do shopping and maxing out credit cards. So that's why we use things to their full extent when a higher power gives us something they consider "small". Because we don't consider it small at all. I use my '98 to all it's worth, beacuse I'm not rich enough to get a new computer yet. But I think it works just as well as anything else, because I haven't been tempted by a XP or a Vista. :]

That pretty much sums it up. But the second the poor become rich, they'll do the same thing. They'll forget their morals and values, in the name of moolah. I don't blame them, it's a "heat of the moment" thing. o.o;
Old 09-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #3

Phoenix Flame

XD!

It wasn't my intention to steer the conversation into material possessions. I've just been thinking that someone who is wise wouldn't chase after those.

Then I heard someone say today: "People are so blinded by getting a bigger house that they miss the opportunity/they can't even see far enough ahead to provide for their grandchildren and bless those after them."

I pretty much heard enough after that. D:

So...that's would be a great example of someone who is wise...but - so many questions left unanswered...
Old 11-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

Leon
Lugeo Spiritus

Q: How can you tell if you are wise?
A: "The first step towards perception is believing that one never attains enough of it, and the easiest path on the road of wisdom is learning from one's mistakes"

A wise individual will seek what's nearest to his/her heart (what/who/whichever it may be) without ever forgetting or becoming sidetracked of its significance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This forum will never end. I has gone through some rough times lately, but it will never be shut down!!
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #5

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor

The subject on wisdom really hits me hard, because I know what it's like to be one of the wise...at least, I think I do. After all, I've been what one would consider to be "poor" my whole life--but you know, after a while, I stopped caring about material posessions. I only care about some of the things that allow me to create; my guitar, which allows me to play music; my drawing utensils, because I want to b an artist; and books, for all of the enjoyment and information and beautiful words that taught me almots everything I know.

The rest pretty much just comes from being in a position in which, I know what it's like to suffer. I have suffered financially, physically, and most of all mentally, and since I've grown up in a household where, unlike some of my friends when I was a child, I was always at a financial and personal disadvantage, suffering has taught me to see most things that other people my age, and even older now, would not even be able to recognize.

I don't really feel like divulging my life story, but even if you're wondering, "If you're so poor, Doctor, then why the hell are you typing on an expensive computer?" I'm willing to answer. I've always been given a lot of my things by other family members, and people with a lot more money. This also taught me how to be generous over the years, and to appreciate whatever I've got, no matter how pissed off I get when a new console I can't get right away comes out, or something.

I've been through many things...I have had anorexia, which, in a way, taught me what it's like to have to go hungry every day...I have to deal with, and comfort friends who sometimes just want to give up, because either they can't take the life that they are living anymore, they can't take themselves, or they can't stand the world that they are in..this cruel, twisted place we call planet Earth is sometimes nothing but pure torture, but by suffering and surviving anything that comes our way, we end up getting something, if anything out of it.

I always see what is wrong with the world, the way that people are living and thinking...what Reason has said proves a really good insight as to how most people think nowadays...people are so blinded by the temorary pleasures of material posessions, they just keep on wanting more and more, and they never come to appreciate anything else in their lives. I've known kids whose parents would treat them like, things, just things, tools to use in order to get the housework done, or just something to yell at when they get upset (that they couldn't buy that new digital TV, or that 50,000 car...) It was hard to watch for me, because I've been lucky...I have kind parents, who would only get upset if I was doing anything that endangered my own life, or someone else's. I just plain got lucky.

But besides only a fraction on how I've obtained MY sense of, maybe, "wisdom", I need to completely agree with you, Reason. People are generally consumed by greed and desires! As one of my most favorite songs goes:

Why do we never get an answer,
when we're knockin' at the door?
With a thousand-million questions,
about hate and death and war?
because the truth is all around us,
and there is nothing that we need,
in a world of persecution,
that is burning in it's greed

Just why don't we ever get an answer? What has happened that makes people act this way? I've watched it go on long enough, and I'm sick of seeing the greed the consumes the human race...

Sorry I had to go on this rant, but this is, very, very important to me..
Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

There's no final frontier in wisdom. You could keep learning and learning, and there would always be something you didn't know/still had to learn.
Besided, as humans we are not able to know/understand 'the absolute true' that many philosophers as Plato were looking for. Our mind isn't prepared to understand some scientifical concepts, such as the existence of a certain matter in many places at the same time.
So, there.

Last edited by Luis; 01-30-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #7

Phoenix Flame

...wow, nicely said Doctor. And no, I don't think that was a rant at all...it seems that this topic touches us both very deeply.

When the answers are all around us - and all we need to do is to pull our heads out of the clouds and look around at the world we're in, I fail to see why so many people who COULD make a significant difference in our world (i.e. elected officials/people with authority *gasp* or power) continue to make excuses...or WORSE: BLAMESHIFT their responsibilities onto others. :S Of course, its easier when you actually HAVE the power/money to let it get to you psychologically. Its consuming. How revolutionary would it be if, instead of figuring out a way to increase the economy/taxpayers spending the government would instead donate that money to people who actually NEED it - like AIDS relief funds and the Red Cross, FEMA, anti-hunger groups, etc...?

Luis: the final frontier is just an expression because (just like space in Star Trek) wisdom is ALWAYS a frontier to be explored. Just when you think you know something stop and see if the opposite isn't also true in a way.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #8

Leon
Lugeo Spiritus

How wize is it fo' a bot to dare show face'ere now tha M around

*jumps on its back an starts sadistically tearin out cables from the back of its neck*

DIEZ -.-#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This forum will never end. I has gone through some rough times lately, but it will never be shut down!!
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote