Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Final Fantasy Discussion > Final Fantasy X
Community Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy X The FF that made the new generation graphics really take you back and go.... Wait, really?

Old 12-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #1

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

The sphere grid

I always liked the sphere grid, I thought it was a good and imaginitive system, but I noticed many people feel differently and did not like it, what do you all think of it? good or bad?
Gumdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #2

FFnut
Master Thief

Location: The space between dimensions... kinda like where Gilgamesh ends up in FF5.
A lot of people hated it because they didn't understand it. Once you understood it, though, it became way too easy to abuse (giving Auron Quick Hit and teaching Yuna Ultima were some of my greatest ideas) but it was still fun overall. It was better than the X-2 levelling/ability system though, because whatever you did in X-2 became almost worthless once you changed classes.

"Only an egotistical bastard would sig himself." ~ FFnut

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Commander Of The Platinum Dragons

Official Ex-Member
FFnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #3

Shaggy
Administrator

I really liked the sphere grid on X. It was a new twist to FF.. How could someone hate it, because it took some thinking??
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:09 PM   #4

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
I really liked the sphere grid on X. It was a new twist to FF.. How could someone hate it, because it took some thinking??

I'm glad you two agree that it was great! its nice to meet people who agree on the same things
its natualy for people to hate what they don't understand I suppose, but I still find it lame
on an ffxii forum I go to somebody started a thread on how they thought the sphere grid sucked, and everyone was agreeing that it does suck!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #5

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart
Well what can I say..

The sphere grid was certainly an interesting innovation. But I have one problem with it. There's just way too much to do if you want to max your characters. I don't know the real figures, but judging from the "how to max your characters" guides I've glanced at, it feels like it would take literally hundreds of hours to get anything close to maxed our characters. Sure, it makes it a challenge for the hardcore players.. but this is just extreme. To even stand a chance at some of the Dark Aeons and toughest Arena monsters, you need to spend so much time on the sphere grid that I decided it's in no way worth it to bother. The sphere grid is fine if you just want to play through the game and not bother about doing just about everything, other than that, it's simply too difficult and time consuming to get your characters strong enough to defeat all ther super bosses. Sure it's meant to be difficult to do so, but I feel FFX takes it way too far. I like to build up my characters, but just skimming through one FAQ about how to max your characters made me give up that idea entirely.

So I have kind of mixed feelings towards it. If you have enough time and patience to fill the sphere grid with all the best stat modifiers, I'm happy for you. But for me, it's a task beyond the possibility of completion. It took away the fun of building strong characters. I'm not saying it should be easy, but not THIS hard (or rather, time consuming!).

Kudos to you who had so much spare time and managed to build your sphere grid enough to beat all the super bosses. You have no lives
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #6

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

heh,heh I have no life ^_^'' my spere grid is full i have to use those eraser shere things if i want to empty it, and I beat those super bosses *sobs, I have no life*.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #7

Quezacotl
Vivi's Minder

I perfected the Sphere Grid and beat all the Dark Aeons and Penance... and then my friend saved over my 300 hour game by accident.

I thought the sphere grid was a good system. It allowed for some sort of flexibility later, while still making all the characters somewhat different to begin with. And it makes the game entierly stat-based, which means you don't have to spend time buying new weapons from every shop every time... not that that's a bad thing in itself, but it was something different and quite fun to play around with.
Quezacotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #8

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

oh my god I think I would have murdered your friend if I were you,lol!
Old 01-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #9

Gunslinger
Vivi's Minder

Someone saved over an FF game of mine before....i went absolutly nuclear!!!

I personally thought the sphere-grid was great......true there was some work to be done to max everyone out, but King Tonberry is there to help with that..(it's not cheating!)

The problem i had with it was that once evryone was maxed out they were all exactly the same.....unlike 9 where all characters have very unique abilities.

I was a little worried at first that they had got rid of the leveling system but due to the scope and length of the game it makes sense.....you'd probably reach LVL100 after about 50 hours (out of 300)

I cant understand why people dont like it.........
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #10

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart
Takes too much of an effort to max or near max your characters. It's not supposed to be easy, but FFX takes it way too far. I'm not going to spend 200+ hours just to build my characters.. lol. Cut that by about 10 times and I could do it
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:17 PM   #11

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

it does take a while, I think it took me just over 100 hours (I spent an age training in the omega ruins, but its not hard to do, I think it makes an interesting alternitive to leveling up
Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 AM   #12

Mong00se
Moogle Farmer

I never understood how to get more then 3 lvl 4 key spheres, so instead I just got Yuna to walk her path, then Lulu's. Tidus walked his path then Rikku's I think (or Kimahri's, but got steal from Rikku) and Auron walked his and Wakka's, getting all his abilities.

How do you get so many key spheres and friend spheres to open all the locks?
Mong00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #13

LoKuS
Master Thief

Send a message via AIM to LoKuS
The sphere grid is nice, but as someone stated above, it would take way to long to max out characters.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #14

johnnylumpkin
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via AIM to johnnylumpkin
I didn't like it. It was confusing.
johnnylumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #15

LoKuS
Master Thief

Send a message via AIM to LoKuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylumpkin
I didn't like it. It was confusing.
Not really, you get it after a few minutes.