Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Final Fantasy Discussion > Final Fantasy VI
Community Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy VI Talk here about the great classic here - FF 6

Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #1

Koby_Fish
T-Rexuar Snack

Gau veldt strategies based on pack formation

I've learned something interesting on the internet. Apparantly, I was correct in figuring that there was a pattern to Gau's rages. (a guide is viewable here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/554041/35118 ). So, with this information printed out and in hand, I've got a strategy for getting the rages I want when I want.

Of particular note is what monsters are in which "packs". As the guide says, there are a maximum of 8 (numbered 0 - 7) different random formations in each "pack". I've also learned that encountering new monsters can shake things up and change the random pack encounter if the encounters have started to fall into a pattern (and there's one rage that you're maddeningly missing). Based on what monsters show up and where, it is possible to manage encounters by dropping off in an area, encountering a specific monster (possibly resetting to get the formation you want), then running back to the Veldt to leap on it.

This strategy can be complicated by major events (such as WOR transition or Cyan's Dream world, when you encounter many different groups of monsters in the same pack formations without being able to go to the Veldt), but all in all it works fairly well.

Conversely, if you find that your encounters are falling into a pattern of repeatedness (say, for instance, that you're nearly always encountering six "bombs" in Pack 18, followed by several other formations that seem to be repeating, even though other packs are available to be randomed), you can use this to your advantage. If you know what you encountered the last times the pattern presented itself, you can be reasonably sure what to expect and what to leap on.

I've also noticed at least in the WoB a slight correlation between position on the veldt in relation to the last encounter, and the pattern. I'm not sure what that correlation is, other than, if you tend to remain in the same place or close to it, you're more likely to fall into a repeating pattern. I've also found that changing party members (at least one) can also shake up formation encounters in terms of what appears randomly.

Here's an example of taking advantage of the pack situation:

Suppose you are in WoB. You've got your airship, but it hasn't crashed yet (you've not yet finished the Sealed Gate). If you were smart, you went into the sealed gate little by little, returning to the veldt to gain the rages there. Now, you know that the Ing monsters use Lifeshaver, and lifeshaver is an earth based attack. What you want is Gaia Gear. And it wouldn't hurt to gain the Baskervor rage. So what you do is go to the Thamassa area, encounter Baskervor once (and steal his Gaia Gear), then leave. Go immediately to the Veldt and hang around until you encounter Baskervor again. Steal his gaia gear, leap if you wish, lather rinse repeat. Since Baskervor is going to be in a pack where you've encountered no other monsters in its pack formation, you are guaranteed to run into the sucker. Now you've got a bunch of shiny new Gaia Gear to put on your team to the sealed Gate, and they'll gain health from Lifeshaver instead of losing it. A quick aside, if you want to disable Sneeze of baskervor (or adamanchyt for that matter), use Bserk. (Sorry, Bserk does not work on Floating Continent's Dragon. It does however work on Chitonid in WoR).

You can successfully use this strategy most of the time to slowly but surely guarantee that you get the rages you want in a timely manner--at least, most of them. The best thing to do after getting the airship (and getting Palidor) is to go to the veldt ASAP. It's best to go pick up Terra from Mobliz first so that your party is automatically sporting 3 instead of 4.

I've found that the earliest I can get back to the veldt in WoB is while South Figaro is still under occupation, before the Opera House scenario. Going down Lete river does the trick to start off; the Figaro/Nikeah ferryman will sneak you past the guards in a treasure chest on the way home after the Serpent Trench. This ensures that you get such good rages like Aspik and Anguiform for Vector if you plan on taking Gau there.

Boy, when they said you should return to the Veldt often, they were NOT kidding.

Last edited by Koby_Fish; 10-18-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Koby_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #2

dappa
Master Summoner

Re: Gau veldt strategies based on pack formation

if i remember correctly there are like 255 rages for gau. I have had most of them but I never could get the ones i wanted. What else used to annoy me was a particular monster i needed sometimes would show up when gau had already leaped but gau wont show up cause the monster formation is on pincer attack.

What i usually do is tend to go to the veldt after i go to a particular area and fight the local monsters then gain as many rages as possible, this way i'm lowering the variables of which monsters can appear. Good info Koby by the way!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:25 AM   #3

Koby_Fish
T-Rexuar Snack

oh yeah pincer and side attacks after gau has leaped are the bane of my existence. When that happens I have to let it fall back into the pattern so I can re-encounter these groups. Sometimes I put a back guard on someone with a ribbon.

And don't forget monster formations that take up the sixth monster slot code wise so that Gau cannot return even if it's NOT a "side attack" or "pincer"....

Fortunately one formation I haven't encountered on the veldt has no earthly business being there anyway. Protoarmor, Pipsqueak, Pipsqueak. Leap on Protoarmr all you want, you'll never get a rage for it.
Koby_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
abyler
T-Rexuar Snack

If you were smart, you went into the sealed gate little by little, returning to the veldt to gain the rages there. Now, you know that the Ing monsters use Lifeshaver, and lifeshaver is an earth based attack. What you want is Gaia Gear. And it wouldn't hurt to gain the Baskervor rage. So what you do is go to the Thamassa area, encounter Baskervor once (and steal his Gaia Gear), then leave. Go immediately to the Veldt and hang around until you encounter Baskervor again. Steal his gaia gear, leap if you wish, lather rinse repeat. Since Baskervor is going to be in a pack where you've encountered no other monsters in its pack formation, you are guaranteed to run into the sucker. Now you've got a bunch of shiny new Gaia Gear to put on your team to the sealed Gate, and they'll gain health from Lifeshaver instead of losing it.
abyler is offline   Reply With Quote