Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #1

blackstar
Headbanger For Life

Unhappy Prejudice

Hey ive got a sad topic to talk about. Last night at my church two adults and two of the other youth got into a discussion that really bothered me. It was mostely about black/white couples in our school comments like, and her parents are ok with it and I wouldnt let my daughter do that ect. When "Aiden" said and whats wrong with it they just looked out of the corner of their eye and kept going on with the conversation. It really upset her. Then they began to talk about gay/lesbian couples. Like when they were on vaccation they went to Orlando Studio on gay day they knew they would be there. And they complained about how "sick" it was and that it was wrong. One of the womens 4 year old daughter asked why two men were holding hands her response and i quote "because they are going to hell". Prejudice like this anywhere bothers me but seeing it in a church (while I am not religious) bothers me greatly because it should not be there. Well what do you all think? All i got to say is ;res
blackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #2

Cloud101
The Dark Guardian

Re: Prejudice

I feel for you, star, the true evil are those who judje others without knowing them personally, I hate people like that, I truly do, I am cursed with the fact that I was once like that myself, but not anymore, I have gay and bi friends, and I love them like family!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #3

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame

Hmmm... what do I think?

That is definitely NOT the heart of God! He shows through His Word that judging people will end up with you being judged by the same measure you use for them - 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, for all the law and the prophets are summed up in this.' was Christ's way of saying, 'Look, you guys have it all wrong, you [should] love the person, regardless of what is on the outside, because I look on the inside.'

FYI: Just because it's a 'church' doesn't mean squat! Going to a building once a week and hearing a sermon doesn't get you into Heaven. The body of Christ lives through believers - not brick and morter. Being a homegroup or youth leader doesn't make you a Christian just like only attending school makes you a teacher. One needs an intimate relationship with the Almighty for that! (to be a Christian I mean, not a teacher XD)

If I may, my advice: make sure your church bases their doctrine on the Word of God - that people there belong, connect, grow and are fruitful. Otherwise, find a church where that is taking place because there is SOooooo much doctrine and lies and prejudice and hatred out there...and God looks at the heart!
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #4

Yggdrasill
Cruxis Angel

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasill

The Church is known to be the most corrupt religious community, which is why I don't bother going anymore, infact, I never wanted to go in the first place.
Half of the people who try to get into Heaven; won't. This is because all they feel to need to get into Heaven is attend Church, which isn't necessarily true; you need to firmly believe in God as well.
I don't currently believe in God, but don't blame me, it's because all of the lies the Church has actually told over many years, to me; it's all about money to the Church now. They've lost their faith.

Homer: I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.
Yggdrasill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #5

jedi geoff
And then there was one...

Location: On the plains of FF6. So i can hear that cool overworld music

hmm disturbing stuff....

i have no religion, if were talking bout all this
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #6

Cloud101
The Dark Guardian

That's life for ya'...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #7

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor

That's terrible, blackstar...I'm sorry you had to overhear such a disturbing thing...That kind of prejudice does not belong in any church whatsoever..

I stopped going to church because I was told by a teacher that "if you don't confess your sins before you die, you go down the path to hell." That statement infuriated me, because how would anyone know if that was true? No one knows what life after death is like until they die. There might not be anything after we die; who knows?

I'm not trying to force this opinion on anyone, so you don't have to believe it if you don't want to.

But telling a 4 year -old girl that two men are holding hands because they are going to hell...I personally find that sickening.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #8

blackstar
Headbanger For Life

So overall we are all in a generall agrence on what happened. And its from people of different philosophy. Its good to know that some people agree with me.
blackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #9

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Spiff Send a message via MSN to Spiff

In my Interpersonal Communication class I took when I first entered college, the professor stressed the importance of this for all of his student: Prejudice is everywhere, everyone is prejudice about something. He stressed that prejudice is not a bad thing, but basing the decisions you make on those prejudices you have, or discrimination, is a bad thing. You can think that gay people are wrong to hold hands in public but it would still be wrong to arrest them for it.

In short, prejudice is normal in life, but as long as we use tolerance and don't discriminate against others everyone can get along.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #10

Cloud101
The Dark Guardian

Thank you...