Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

View Poll Results: Do you think gays should be able to marry?
Yes 24 82.76%
No 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #46

Seyluv
*Isu's Empress/Wife*

Re: Same Sex Marrige

Yeah, I made a lot of mistakes, but whatever as long as I get graded. I don't see how I did nine essays in one day laast year.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #47

Yggdrasill
Cruxis Angel

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasill

Gay marriage doesn't really bother me, people should honestly live how they want to. If I saw a Gay couple walking down the street I wouldn't be bothered by it because I'm actually open-minded.

**This next bit is all my opinion, people who believe in God don't be offended.**

Plus, since I'm an Atheist I don't think it's wrong in any way, if you ask me it's the catholic church what is in the wrong. God hasn't done anything to help the world so why should I, in turn, waste my time creating false hope that there's a God?
People say God can't tell us how to live, yet theres these stupid rules which say there can't be any homosexual marriage, I'm actually glad i'm an Atheist because now I don't have to hear all this rubbish about how i'll go to hell if I don't "Obey" God. =P

Homer: I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.
Yggdrasill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #48

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame

I, on the other hand, disagree. I feel that if there is no God, none of us would be here. The complexities that make up the body, the amount of information in our DNA, the desire to be free and thrive - IMO - could NOT have come from nothingness.

To say that you extinguish a 'false hope' by denouncing the existence of a creator...how so? Obviously, this isn't Spira - we are not dreams.

I guess dying to reconsile His creation wasn't doing anything to help either, huh? But if you do not believe the Bible is Truth, then nothing matters at all. Eat, drink and be merry - for tomorrow we die. There is no heaven, no hell, only now....but I challenge you with this thought: what if your thinking is wrong?

This is a 'battle' that really goes much deeper than the physical. It makes no difference to some, but I pray for them to realize that.

We'll all find out - that fateful day when our energy converts to another form - as Newton puts it.
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #49

Cloud101
The Dark Guardian

I have some gay friends and when I found out their secret, I had a panic attack, and started to laugh histericly, but they are still my friends, so I got used to it, and it doesn't bother me anymore, and it changed my perception of life, and now I think that gay,(or bi), people should be able to marry!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #50

Seyluv
*Isu's Empress/Wife*

I know a few people that are gay, but I don't really care that they gay. I just find it wrong that people are trying to take away people right to marry just because they gay.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #51

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame

I don't mind/care if they are gay either. I DO FEEL, however, that they should not be allowed to marry. God intended for one man and one woman to be together for a lifetime.

Even if you do not bring spirituality into this, there never was a 'right' for them to get married. If you make one up though, then I guess you could give them that 'right.'

Meh! I'm done w/this topic. I know many people here feel differently. I don't have anything else to offer this topic/thread, so anyone feel free to PM me.
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 AM   #52

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

You know, it wasn't that long ago that people were convinced that it wasn't 'right' for people of different races to marry, including the churches. Now, who really thinks that except ignorant racists. Times change, people change, attitudes change, ideas change. Rights and recognition for gays is the latest area of change, and like all major social change before it, such as womens rights, there will be some sections of the community who won't accept it under any circumstances.

My opinion is gays should be treated for what they are, people. Not abominations of nature headed for hell, but just people who want to live their lives like any other people and be allowed to make a formal committment to the person they love, and be recognised by the state as that persons legal next of kin and entitled to all benefits that come with that.

So they have a different sexual orientation, so what? They can't breed babies with each other, again so what? Neither can hetro people who are infertile, should they be banned from marriage too?

The two main groups I see opposing gay marriage are 1) Homophobes who hate gays just because they are gay, and because the hater is petrified it is catching. This attitude is down to pure ignorance and the hate is usually passed down from generation to generation. 2) the religious, which I dismiss out of hand. The only people who have to live by religious teaching are those that follow it. I really despise religions who try to force their myths on the whole population through law. Seperation of church and state needs to be fact, not just pretty words.

Marriage is a civil contract between two consenting adults. Nothing more and nothing less. I can't see why the sexuality of the people involved should be a factor.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #53

dappa
Master Summoner

What the last poster said sums up perfectly what I think on the subject
dappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #54

ThroneofDravaris
Chocobo Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkacia
You know, it wasn't that long ago that people were convinced that it wasn't 'right' for people of different races to marry, including the churches. Now, who really thinks that except ignorant racists. Times change, people change, attitudes change, ideas change. Rights and recognition for gays is the latest area of change, and like all major social change before it, such as womens rights, there will be some sections of the community who won't accept it under any circumstances.
Except those groups actually had less rights than others. In this case, homosexuals have the exact same rights as heterosexuals; the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. They just aren’t allowed to marry a partner of the same sex which, once again, heterosexuals aren’t allowed to do either. So basically any line that anyone takes stating that they have less ‘rights’ than anyone else or that current legislation doesn't reflect 'equality' is pretty much moot.

That being said, I see absolutely no reason as to why anyone over the age of consent shouldn't be able to marry the partner of their choice.

Last edited by ThroneofDravaris; 11-30-2006 at 09:50 PM.
ThroneofDravaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #55

Ajianni
T-Rexuar Snack

I dont really care if they want to marry somebody with the same sex let em.
Ajianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #56

Cloud101
The Dark Guardian

Unhappy Re: Same Sex Marrige

The peope who don't allow it probably don't have any friends that are gay, or, they just aren't good enough friends to be trusted with such a big secret. OR, the friends know that you would dissown them as friends if you found out. It's sad really , it's not like they can control it, they're just born that way!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #57

blackstar
Headbanger For Life

Well this is my opionion and im bi-sexual keep that in mind.
I personally beleive same-sex marriage should be allowed they are people just like everyone else like it was said above. "They arent rocks or trees) if two people are happy together and have love and affection for each other they should be allowed the same freedoms and rights to happiness as everyone else.That is my thought on the matter.
blackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #58
Luis
·· Fresón rebelde ··

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoniamalive
I, on the other hand, disagree. I feel that if there is no God, none of us would be here. The complexities that make up the body, the amount of information in our DNA, the desire to be free and thrive - IMO - could NOT have come from nothingness.
Why? I can't think of a reason not to. And in case that there existed a God, why should it be the Christian one? It's just a matter of faith, and beliefs.

And my faith and my beliefs are based on peace and happiness. Do two people from the same sex hurt you when they love each other? Or even when it's just for physical pleasure, do they hurt you?
They don't, and if they are happy and they don't hurt, try to think of a logical reason to avoid this kind of relationship.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #59

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar
Well this is my opionion and im bi-sexual keep that in mind.
I personally beleive same-sex marriage should be allowed they are people just like everyone else like it was said above. "They arent rocks or trees) if two people are happy together and have love and affection for each other they should be allowed the same freedoms and rights to happiness as everyone else.That is my thought on the matter.
Fully agreed, but also think of it this way:

Back in the '50's, NOONE would've allowed, and even considered the idea of gay marriage, since most people considered it unnatural, wether it be due to their beliefs or morals.

Now it has come so far to making it legal, thus, it IS only a matter of time.

And I'm guessing in a matter of time, although I hate to think about it:

As unnatural and immoral as gay marriage was back in the first half of the twentieth century, there might come acceptance for other "anomalities", such as lovers, with a large difference in age. D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
Now, contemplate the tuttifrutti powahs in my avatar!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!
Last.fm YouTube DeviantArt Last.FM TheShrine DinoButt
Avathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #60

Cloud101
The Dark Guardian

Exactly, My girlfriend is a little over 2 years younger than me, but I still love her. I always will, no matter what. And I say again, it's all a matter of perspective, I know blackstar personaly and it doesn't bother me that he's bi, ya'know. So of cource, I'de be on his side, why wouldn't I, he's my friend, what'd you expect! I thank you, Luis and Avathar, you show that not every body is pregidice, and that makes me happy.