Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #16

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Spiff Send a message via MSN to Spiff
Re: Racism as a factor in Katrina aftermath

It's day 8 and the water is being pumped out, the gangs are being shut down. Granted, it is going to take some time to pump the water out, but for the amount of damage to the city and the transpostation mess and the refugee mess, I think the response was quite quick.

Hurricane Andrew was stronger than this one and people rebuilt; time heals all wounds.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #17

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

Yes Spiff, I saw that on the news last night and its good to see the people finally being taken out of the city to safety.

We have 3 missing Australians in New Orleans and one of our consulour officials snuck into the city to try to find them (he tried to get in the legal way, but your government is worried about an international incident if he gets killed). He is currently doorknocking trying to find them though his search has been hampered by national guard soldiers warning him that if he enters any empty buildings, he will be considered a looter and shot on sight. While I don't want anyone killed that way, it is good to see the soldiers taking a no tolerance stand on the criminal elements that have been preying on the city and its victims.

I'm sure the US and its people will bounce back from this. The main question I'm hearing now is whether New Orleans should be rebuilt in its current location or moved to a safer area.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #18

Lyde Lyde
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyde Lyde

Now we're stsrting to save some more victims and bring them to a lot of states, but Arkacia, if you don't believe in a god, then what is your religion?
Edit: Shooting people just because you see them in an empty building, that's just not right.

It's pronounced (lid-e) (la-day) get it right!

Last edited by Lyde Lyde; 09-06-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Lyde Lyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #19

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

I don't have a religion. I'm an atheist. That means I have no faith or belief in any form of higher being.

I can understand why the soldiers have a shoot on site order. Its to bring order back to the city. As long as no-one is still looting and going where they shouldn't be, no-one will get hurt. If there are still looters in the city (for profit, not need) and they get caught, then I have little sympathy for them.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:37 AM   #20

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart

I'm an atheist too, and besides my grandparents, I don't know anyone (besides a few people I've only chatted with online from other countries, mainly the US) who is religious.

And yeah, I don't have much sympathies for looters either. After all you gone through with the hurricane, then you have whatever remains stolen by some idiots who took the opportunity?
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #21

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

If they took what they needed for survival, then I wouldn't have a problem because their goverenment wasn't much help. Stealing plasma tv's? You don't even have electricity.

I would either have stronger levies built, or raise the city above water level (which won't happen).
Old 09-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #22
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

Sorry about my double post, I forgot I can also edit it
About the topic, I think I said almost all I had to. A town near mine was moved to a safer area after a flood we suffered..but I also must say this town is a really small one. In the case of New Orleans, I think it will probably be rebuilt in the same place.
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #23

Andrew Scaves
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Scaves

I don't understand, if any of y'all don't have a religion, then what's your basis on life and what prevents you from doing wrong things?
2nd: I don't understand why citizens refuse to leave the city, is it because they want to catch disease and die from all of the sewage? They must not be educated or right in the head, there are 10,000 people doing this, I'm an American with a dream.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #24

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart

Did you seriously not know that there are people out in the world who are not religious? You seriously need to open your eyes if that's true. In any case, just because you don't believe in a god or any other higher being, doesn't mean you don't have morals and ethics.

And the second thing.. some people refuse to leave the city right now because they are afraid of losing whatever they have left to looters. Before the storm hit, some people didn't leave because they couldn't afford to or they were simply unable to (old, sick people for example). After the storm hit, you couldn't leave the city even if you wanted to, until the evacuation really got under way, and I guess some criminal elements remained to take advantage of whatever was left :/
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #25
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

Shadowheart is right. People don't need religion in order to know how to behave or what to expect of life. I think religion is an alternative to people who may be afraid of feeling alone or who need some other supports in life. I was grown in a religious education, but I think it's really good to be able to choose when you grow up and start thinking by yourself. And about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Scaves
I don't understand, if any of y'all don't have a religion, then what's your basis on life and what prevents you from doing wrong things?
People basis on life is their education. And religion is (or may be) only a part of this education. Lots of people don't need(neither do I) religion in order to know if they're doing wrong thing. This is ethics. And I don't like a religion telling me whether my actions are good or not. I think I already can do it by myself. Anyway, it's really hard to distinguish what is well-done or what's wrong for so many people.
But again, the basis for that is in the education, and I think education has nothing to do with religion(it's my point of view). Being honest, I'll tell you that people who think their beliefs are the true ones and do not accept neither respect other people's beliefs, make me sick. :mad:
And I could keep typing about it, but I don't want to bore you neither to waste time. I hope this may guide you to the light...oops, I meant to understand other ways of thinking are as good as yours!
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #26

Shaggy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Scaves
2nd: I don't understand why citizens refuse to leave the city, is it because they want to catch disease and die from all of the sewage? They must not be educated or right in the head, there are 10,000 people doing this, I'm an American with a dream.
Andrew, you need to get a little more info on the NO deal before you go screaming about these people being idoits. Like Shadow said, that is the reason. Get a clue of what is going on in the world before you say anything about it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #27

Andrew Scaves
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Scaves

I wasn't calling them idiots.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:49 AM   #28

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

Well I can understand why Shaggy thought that Andrew Scaves. "Not right in the head" and "idiot" do mean pretty much the same thing .
Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #29

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

Anyway, Reports are that the water will be gone by the end of the month. I keep hearing that people want indictments, but it seems a bit stupid to take people away from the relief effort to just put them in jail. They should at least wait until the job is done.

I thought I'd share this... They are .... so black.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #30
Zeromus_X
Master Summoner

What is that supposed to mean?(the link) and to comment on racism, id think that humans had gotten over that by now. i mean, its the 21st century, we need to get over this ignorance...maybe someday...
Zeromus_X is offline   Reply With Quote