Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Other Video Games
Community Mark Forums Read

Other Video Games Here you can find info on games that are not FF related. Post the games you want to talk about in here!

Old 12-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #1

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

star ocean

Anyone else here a star ocean fan? I recenlty got star ocean till the end of time, and I have played the first one but I have to say star ocean the second story is my favorite! I just loved the first two star oceans menus and the star ocean battle systems and the storys were all good to ^_^
Gumdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:46 PM   #2

FFnut
Master Thief

Location: The space between dimensions... kinda like where Gilgamesh ends up in FF5.
I got Till The End Of Time too, a couple of weeks ago. I beat it really quickly too. (Orichalcum + Albel's Palm Of Destruction = Dead Anything) Albel owns anyone though, including Cloud of FF7 fame (I've seen a huge argument over who would win between the two over on GameFAQs, and it came down to whether the Star Ocean or FF7 battle system takes precedence).

"Only an egotistical bastard would sig himself." ~ FFnut

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Commander Of The Platinum Dragons

Official Ex-Member
FFnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:46 AM   #3

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

I don't much like those "who would win in a fight between" arguments because people often get annoyed about them,lol but anyway...I think Cloud is the better character but becuase of star oceans battles system I guess Albel would win. I thought he was a woman the first time I saw him 0_0 did you like till the end of time a lot then? I think the second star ocean was probibly the best
Old 12-19-2004, 01:53 PM   #4

FFnut
Master Thief

Location: The space between dimensions... kinda like where Gilgamesh ends up in FF5.
I've never played any Star Oceans except for TTEOT, but I liked it a lot. I'm thinking of trying to find them at the GameStop a few blocks away from my grandmother's house next time I go there. Are they really that good?

Official Ex-Member
Old 12-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #5

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

I think they are wondeful games, especialy the second one..it starts off a bit slow, but it is realy great if you ask me! I don't know what you like though so you might not agree...
Old 12-24-2004, 02:36 AM   #6

Shaggy
Administrator

I haven't played it yet. Is it any good?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 08:45 AM   #7

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

I think it rules,lol!! honestly rent it and see for yourself
Old 12-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #8

Shaggy
Administrator

Whats it all about?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:38 AM   #9

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

There all about different things.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #10

FFnut
Master Thief

I only know what TTEOT is about, 'cause that's the only one I've played. Unfortunately, giving away to much info here could very well ruin the game for you, so here's the edited for spoilers plot synopsis:

Fayt Leingod (an earthling boy), his parents (Robert and Ryoko Leingod, professional "symbological geneticists") and Fayt's friend Sophia Esteed are on the planet Hyda IV on vacation. Fayt spends a lot of time playing video games, especially the "battle simulator." Anyway, during this vacation, Hyda IV [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] and Fayt and Sophia [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. They find [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] and then go [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] attack [EDITED FOR SPOILERS], and Fayt [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] on [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. There, Fayt meets [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] and finds out [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. He learns about a man named [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] and goes to [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. When he finally [EDITED FOR SPOILERS], a man named [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] appears and [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. After [EDITED FOR SPOILERS], Fayt goes with [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] and they leave [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] introduces Fayt to [EDITED FOR SPOILERS], and they [EDITED FOR SPOILERS] on [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]. [REST OF PLOT EDITED FOR SPOILERS].

I wish I was kidding, but there are so many plot twists in this game it'll make you dizzy, and lifting a single one of those spoiler tags could dull the excitement for you. So there's your plot synopsis.

Official Ex-Member
Old 01-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #11

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart
Star Ocean The Second Story is a great game. I've finished it at least 7 times or something (yes, I have no life sometimes :P), beaten the bonus dungeon multiple times and even finished the game on Universe mode (for ppl who hasn't played SOTSS, there's 3 difficulty levels, the 2 harder ones aren't available at first though.. and the toughest one, Universe, provides a tremendous challenge).

It's simply a great game. The battle system is awesome. I've never enjoyed battles as much as I did in SOTSS. The item creation system, the bonus dungeon, the 3 difficulty levels and the 80+ different endings (based on how you treat your companions) gives this game an incredible depth. Not to mention that there's also 2 extremely difficult super bosses (even on the easiest difficulty setting they are extremely difficult).

I've been eager to play SOTTEOT as well, but I haven't been able to yet. I will in not too long though I've also played the original SO game for SNES (it was never translated, so you need to run it on an emulator with a translation patch, plus, the game uses some special type of encoding that it wasn't even playable on emulators until pretty recently). It's a really good game
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:43 AM   #12

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

i have a copy of the rom for so1 with a patch, I played a little of it, it did seem realy good because it was more like the second star ocean which is a good thing star ocean 3 was realy good but it was not the best of the star oceans :/
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #13

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Yeah, SO1 is more like SO2.. it's a great lot of fun, it has great graphics for SNES, awesome music and the story is good and also interesting as to get a little background to SO2 (Ronixis is a playable character in SO1). You don't have as much freedom in the battles as in SO2 though, you can't move around the battlefield freely.. you can only move by selecting a target area to move to or enemy to attack. Can be a little tedious, but the real time battles are fun nonetheless
Memories will fade
Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #14

Gunslinger
Vivi's Minder

I really liked Star Ocean : Second Story. I loved the battle system and always thought FF could do with the tinyest nudge in that direction!

But i didnt think very much of the ability system and item creation and stuff,.....just couldnt get in with it........also i thought it was a little TOO open ended at the beggining.

I never got all the way to the end, though I'm sure i was pretty close........

Was the guys name Ashton, the guy with the dragons?!? He was a cool character......

So Shadowheart, did you fill the (pointless) Sound FX menu thing?!?!?
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #15

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Yes, Ashton, he's the guy with the dragons

And no, I didn't fill it completely, as that is nearly impossible.. but I did fill a lot of it. And it's not pointless. Not at all.

If you get at least 30% of all the Sound FXs, then Galaxy mode is unlocked. And if you get at least 50% of all the Sound FXs, then Universe mode is unlocked. Normally you play on Earth mode. However, if you have unlocked at least Galaxy mode, then you will have a new option when starting a new game - namely to select the battle mode: Earth mode (normal and easiest), Galaxy mode and Universe mode (if you unlocked that too).

In Galaxy mode, all enemies receive a big bonus to their HP and Strength.. meaning that they will be doing A LOT more damage to you and take longer to kill. The game simply gets a lot more difficult.

In Universe mode, all enemies receive the HP and Strength bonus of Galaxy mode, and also get much higher defense and higher Artificial Intelligence (ie, they get smarter).

Galaxy mode can be a tough nut to crack, and Universe mode can be insanely hard to beat. If you want a challenge, try to beat the game on Universe mode without using the Bloody Armor trick I mentioned somewhere up there. If you are playing on Universe mode, I can assure you that Star Ocean 2 becomes the single toughest RPG game ever made. Even the first boss can wipe you out in like 2 hits on Universe mode. In Universe mode, simple normal random battles can be devastating if you're not careful and have good equipment. Of course, Galaxy mode and Universe mode are only for the hardcore SO2 players, and you most likely need more than 1 file to get enough Sound FX to unlock them (all files you have add up on the Sound FX screen).

So it's not pointless to get them.. and I haven't got all, but more than enough to unlock Universe mode.
Memories will fade