Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 AM   #31

white mage
Chocobo Jockey

Send a message via Yahoo to white mage
Re: A cure for homosexuality?

You've got a point there.

Love me.
Hate me.
Just stay out of my way.
white mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #32

Yoko Kurama
With a shattered heart...

Wow, white mage... I had no idea that you had a thoughts like that... I am kinda glad that people share my opinion for once...
Yoko Kurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #33

Shinra Soldier 1
Chocobo Jockey

Send a message via ICQ to Shinra Soldier 1

I'll keep you on topic by telling this story: the ability to manipulate something of the mind is a wonderful tool that can help build a utopia similar to the one in Bioshock, only problem is what will happen when everyone is manipulated by science? Obviously, no one would want to be treated for homosexuality, at least I wouldn't think so. Although I disagree with the current purpose of the experimentation, I do enjoy the fact that we are able to make these strides in medical/biological/biopsychological research. Imagine being able to manipulate an entire generation of people to dislike war and bloodshed, or to dislike unhealthy foods, or greediness. I hope those of you against it will be able to look further into the future at the possibilities
Old 02-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #34

white mage
Chocobo Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Kurama View Post
Wow, white mage... I had no idea that you had a thoughts like that... I am kinda glad that people share my opinion for once...
What'd you expect? That I'd say 'yeah, go, Homosexuality is wrong!'? Im Soma's sister for God's sake!! Ive been taught better. Besides, you and I never talk. Im like Soma, Im more complex (kinda, not really) than I seem. I think its wonderful that science can do this type of thing, I just think that they should pay attention to far more serious subjects, like Alzheimer's.

Love me.
Hate me.
Just stay out of my way.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #35

Shinra Soldier 1
Chocobo Jockey

Send a message via ICQ to Shinra Soldier 1

Yes I definitely agree with that, but they are studying this on flies, flies can't get Alzheimer's, they can't be mentally retarded, or have any type of bias. The best you can do is to have them forget how to fly, or make them gay, I mean there isn't much else you can do with a fly
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #36

white mage
Chocobo Jockey

Eh, point there. But with today's technology, we could easily work on simulations, than move on to mice, then whatevers. Which can me mentally retarded.

Love me.
Hate me.
Just stay out of my way.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 AM   #37

Yoko Kurama

I believe that science should be used to cure certain things... Like Shinra Soldier said, we may even be able to stop war and bloodshed... These things are the wonders of science... I just don't see why people spend their time on stuff like cures for something that isn't a threat to society, or individuals... I just hope that some people smarten up soon...

@white mage: Yeah, I should know you a little better than that, eh? You think alot differently than your brother...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #38

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor

If some people WANTED to "cure" their own sexual tendencies, they would be denying themselves, their true selves..when you try to change someone in that deep of a level, you are misleading them into denying who they really are. Sometimes changing on a certain level is a good thing, like trying to lose weight, or trying to quell an angry disposition. But all things can lead to great excess, and if it goes too far and too deeply, one can get into trouble. After all, would you want to lose so much weight that you would become completely anorexic and obsessed with yourself? And would you want to rid yourself of any ability to use anger to fight back in important situations? (For example, defending yourself against an killer with a gun.)

Science is making a big mistake in trying to change the world too strongly. Now they want to try and change our way of thinking altogether. It's like they want us all to be clones of each other. Humans come into this world looking, feeling, and acting differently for a reason.

The mind is a delicate thing, and far more vast than anyone could understand. Not one person can comprehend themselves to the full extent that we would like to. And I hope that, even if one day someone discovers a way to do so, they never try to manipulate or use it.

Manipulation...is what would lead our society to misery. Dictatorships would be prominent if scientists could control the human mind in ways we're not even sure of yet. Does anyone want that great, that powerful, that terrible of an authority?

Last edited by Doctor; 02-12-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #39

white mage
Chocobo Jockey

We could become like the Society in the Giver. We may be content, but we would stop being human...... I love arguing, and not doing so... ~shudders~ that'd be terrible!! Im terrified to see what humans would do with that power.... Weve already all-but killed the earth.....

@really? I thought we shared that opinion. Does Soma not agree with your sexuality? how odd.... Well, I'm behind you 100%!! (perv)

Love me.
Hate me.
Just stay out of my way.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #40

Yoko Kurama

The society in The Giver... That is a really good example actually... Who would want to live like that?

@white mage: Of course Stephen supports my sexuality... And I trust you can keep it a secret...
Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #41

jedi geoff
And then there was one...

Location: On the plains of FF6. So i can hear that cool overworld music

dont try to fix something if its not broken
Old 06-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #42

Spec Highwind
The Portuguese Dragoon

Send a message via MSN to Spec Highwind Send a message via Yahoo to Spec Highwind

Don't get me wrong or don't get mad at me, but:

this is science!

What if they just research this and nothing more? I mean, not applying this knowledge about homosexuality, but rather studying it (it can be the basis of a much wider study). I don't think there would be a problem in it. It's just... science developing!

I don't think they would ever use this to "cure" humans. It's not a physical behaviour, it's a personal choice, which should be respected.

Was I clear? I don't want to create any controversy with my post, or something, I would say this about any other absurd study that might appear.

"My hopes live on in those who remain"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
omg.
that quote is totally going in my sig.
Spec Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #43

Spec Highwind
The Portuguese Dragoon

Send a message via MSN to Spec Highwind Send a message via Yahoo to Spec Highwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb-sama View Post
This is BULL!

you know they say that we'er made from god right? well if there are gay peploe then god has to be a little gay himself
I'm not religious, but according to the bible, god nuked four cities (four of the five cities that formed Pentapolis) just because their inhabitants were gay. The christian god sees gay people as if they were sick people.

If there's something I found disgusting, it is that mentality.

"My hopes live on in those who remain"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
omg.
that quote is totally going in my sig.
Spec Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #44

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Spiff Send a message via MSN to Spiff

There is no cure for homosexuality because it's not a disease. Honestly, this is just crap. These scientists are putting a paycheck (i.e. government funding) and their own morality issues above real progress.

It's also part of the reason I have no problem with gay marriage, but that's a different topic.