Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #16

Yggdrasill
Cruxis Angel

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasill
Re: Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
alright everyone,you really have no say,i doubt any of you know what its like to be this depressed.
I only know one of my parents but my emotional problems from that don't cause me to think of mutilating myself, what good would cutting myself do me? =P
I also figured; what's the point in acting depressed? Most people really don't care how I feel except my family and so I decided to just shove away the bad emotions, I'd rather feel happy around people than be depressed and be treated as an out-cast.

Homer: I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.
Yggdrasill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #17

Kat
k i t t y .

Send a message via AIM to Kat Send a message via MSN to Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider
Ok, take it easy Kat i'm sure no one means sumtin personnal

now that u had personnal experience with this, did it help you at all? was it ur answer to bad feelings? if so why did you stop it?

I'd just appreciate ur explanation (point of view) why would someone do sumting so.... irelevant!
im fine
i was a little ticked at another member for awhile there.
NEwayz:
no,it didn't help me..but i won't lie,it felt good.
no,it wasn't the answer to my feelings,and now that i think about it i never even found the answer to them.
@Spec-Some people just arn't strong enough to do that.
some problems are stronger than the person that faces them.

The perfect Example of: Imperfection
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #18

dirge_of_sephiroth
Cactuar Thorn

A lot of my friends do or have done it. No, I'm not a little high school punk and neither are they. The biggest standout example of them is 33 actually. So it's not some fad type of thing here that people should be calling retarded. Not that it isn't mentally brought on in some cases, but It's part of something called borderline personality disorder. And it can be a real struggle not to self-multilate. I used to do it myself. But I was luckier than most others because even though I sometimes wish for that option, it's a very rare occasion at this point. My friends, which I've met through group therapy, some of them really have to fight. Through other groups and one on one counseling they've found techquniques and other things that help them through really bad times. Medication can also help. It's at least made me less vulnerable to severe depressions.

Hang in there, Faust. I think a lot of us are there for you.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
Slider
Master Summoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
I only know one of my parents but my emotional problems from that don't cause me to think of mutilating myself
lol, yeah u wanna talk bout depression? i don know either of my parents until know, or any of my true family members of course
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #20
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

I'd quote my post again. But I feel too lazy now XD
Then, there're many ways to say something. That's obvious. And I agree with Kat that someones didn't help much with it.
However, it sounds me something like a... hobby... when I read the first post. I mean, something like ' I'm into it, and I like it '.
If you are having problems, I don't think that will help much, but all the contrary. And 'being strong' may not always be as easy as typing it.
By the other hand, I've gotta say that comparing problems isn't a good idea. I mean, how big a problem is depends not only on the problem, but also on the person.
If you need some help, please ask for it, either to your friends/family or to a professional. Many people need sometimes someone that makes them see things more clear.
But for sure harming yourself won't help you.

I know it's not that easy, but if I can somehow help you, please feel free to PM me. =)
Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #21

Yggdrasill
Cruxis Angel

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider
lol, yeah u wanna talk bout depression? i don know either of my parents until know, or any of my true family members of course
That means your depression should be greater than mine because?
Doesn't matter anyway, If that family member did happen to come back then he certainly wouldn't be welcome in my life anymore, I'd tell him to get out myself.

Homer: I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Last edited by Yggdrasill; 04-03-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Yggdrasill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #22

Spec Highwind
The Portuguese Dragoon

Send a message via MSN to Spec Highwind Send a message via Yahoo to Spec Highwind

I'm not talking about anyone here in the forum, but...

Does anyone else think that lots of people like to say "My depression is greater than yours!"?

It's like if it is a good thing. o.O

"My hopes live on in those who remain"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
omg.
that quote is totally going in my sig.
Spec Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #23
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
By the other hand, I've gotta say that comparing problems isn't a good idea. I mean, how big a problem is depends not only on the problem, but also on the person.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #24

Drake
Death Dreamer

Doctor F I suggest stoping your self-mutilation because it'll lower your self-esteem and quite possibly leave scars. I'm speaking from own personal experiance. Haven't done any self cutting in a long time though.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #25

blackstar
Headbanger For Life

In my personal experience cutting is a mental help because if you are in pain emotionally ect. it is a pain you can control it makes you feel like its something you can control in a world that you cant. No it is not a long term solution and it is dangerous but it is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LAUGH ABOUT OR MAKE FUN OF. And that is what i saw happening and it really pissed me off. I understand where Faust is comming from and if one of your personal friends came to you and said what she did if you treated them the same way you did her i would not be suprised if it got worse.
blackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #26

ThroneofDravaris
Chocobo Jockey

No one has laughed nor made fun of him in this thread. Where are you getting this stuff from?
ThroneofDravaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #27

dirge_of_sephiroth
Cactuar Thorn

Maybe it was the use of the term 'retarded'? Not that I'm picking a fight here, I'm just saying that it could be taken that way. I took the term as if it were coming from someone who merely didn't understand.

Last edited by dirge_of_sephiroth; 04-04-2007 at 11:42 AM.
dirge_of_sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #28

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart

Well noone called him retarded.. they said the act of self mutilation is retarded, but that's not the same thing. It's easy to say that I guess, but I'd think that people doing this are too depressed to care or realize. Also, shoving it in their faces, couldn't that possible make things worse actually?
Memories will fade

Last edited by ShadowHeart; 04-04-2007 at 02:56 PM.
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #29

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Send a message via MSN to Hydra Send a message via Yahoo to Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
Not entirely true. Cutting causes endorphins to be released in the brain which can result in brief bouts of euphoria, temporarily relieving mental anguish.
From a long term prospective though no, I doubt cutting is going to make someone feel better.
I'm going where he posts, just to bold the intellectual that he is. =O

And Kat, not to make you mad, but get a grip.

Life can't be so bad that you find satisfaction by cutting yourself to make the pain go away. For a LITTLE WHILE, at that. It's completely stupid. Everyone gets depressed, moody, and have those times where they just wish they could die. Solving the depression for the moment and not long-term isn't a good thing to do.

(INSERT ADAM AND ANDREW LYRICS HERE)

Sorry, I had to do it. <.<; ^.^;;

Anyway, yeah. If you don't have the mental ability to fully deal with the problem now, and not pleasuring your mentality pleasures for the moment, then were's the self-esteem you get from cutting yourself? It just makes you feel good about yourself because of the stimulation it gives you from the time you do it.

It doesn't feel that way a few hours later. Your cuts scab over, and EVERYONE notices. Then you feel the urge to do it over and over, and you're mentally ashamed of yourself that you can't stop. Of course, you CAN stop, it just feels to good to at the time of need.

I say lay off it. There's a lot of ways to relieve stress and depression besides physically cutting yourself, and doing a hell of a lot of damage to everything about you. Go get a squeeze doll! Punch something! Kill an animal! Okay, maybe not that last one. I don't care WHAT you do. As long as you feel happy afterwards, and it didn't include self-mutilation, it's the way to go.

In other words, this wraps up what most other people said. XD
Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #30
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

There're lots of people with problems... all kind of problems. And sometimes you can't see further 'cuz the problem is in front of you, that's why I'd suggest again: ask for help when you need it! It may be hard to do it... but then it'll help you much more in the long term!

Now Jake... what was that about killing animals? O_o
XD