Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:34 PM   #1

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

School Uniforms

As it seems most of the members here are teens, I thought I'd ask you opinions on school uniforms.

In Australia most schools require them and students can be sent home or punished by detentions etc for not wearing uniforms. I wore them over 20 years ago in high school and the requirement never worried me but these days it seems schools are really going overboard with them. I have seen recent reports of kids sent home for having facial piercings, "unacceptable" hairstyles (in the case of one boy, because his hair was shoulder length), and skirts too short.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:49 PM   #2

Squall85
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via AIM to Squall85
I think the whole uniform thing is stupid. I don't believe in uniforms, i didn't have uniforms in high school but they didn't allow boys to wear shorts, which was the dumbest thing ever
Old 05-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #3

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

The boys had shorts as part of the uniform at the high school I used to go to but none ever wore them. According to my brothers only complete "nerds" would wear them and if any boy wore them they'd risk being beaten up .

Funny how ideas are different from country to country .
Old 05-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #4

LoKuS
Master Thief

Send a message via AIM to LoKuS
Around here Catholic schools use uniforms but public schools dont, however once in a while you'll find a public school with them.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:43 AM   #5

Shaggy
Administrator

I never went to a school that required them, but if they did, I probably would have hated them!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:52 AM   #6

Zerlina
Chocobo Jockey

I wear a uniform. They assume every girl is shaped like a rectangle, so basically if you're not flat-chested you're swimming in all your shirts. Then they make the kilts SO long you look like you can't walk properly. And then of course, the shirts are see-through, and they won't let you wear anything under them (everyone does anyways). Oh, and the buttons are so crappily made that they open all the time.

PS: they're made by children in asia who are strapped to poles and are not allowed to take breaks.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:48 AM   #7

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart
Sweden doesn't believe in school uniforms. Never had to wear a school uniform, and I don't remember hearing of anyone that did. I think it's stupid
Memories will fade
Old 05-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #8

Wezzy
Chocobo Jockey

Send a message via MSN to Wezzy
wow i wanna live in sweden The UK are barmy about them...all the super old-fashioned people want the younger ones to look smart in blazers and stuff. We are not allowed to wear hoodys (shirts with a hood in case u werent sure) because of chavs (people who wear them to look intimidating) i think it's wrong myself it's the most stupid thing i've ever seen. Why can't the old-fashioned people accept that times change?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #9

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Spiff Send a message via MSN to Spiff
School uniforms are a great idea and should be used everywhere. Since you don't have to think about what to wear, you can focus more time on homework, studying, and other activities in school. It's like a suit at the office.

I went to a private school with uniforms and believe me they are better than you think.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #10

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart
Lol, I never thought about what to wear in school anyway. I always just grabbed whatever was at the top of my drawers Not quite the same anymore, now I do care about what I wear, but I don't spend more than 10 seconds deciding
Memories will fade
Old 05-23-2005, 08:00 PM   #11

alfaitha
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via AIM to alfaitha
The city of Philadelphia, where I went to school declared in 2000 that everyone from elementary to middle school had to wear unifirms, thank god I graduated middle school in 2000. I just dont really see the benefit from uniforms, by High School, you should be mature enough that what you should wear doesnt affect your academics. but I think that soon the High Schools in Philly will aslo be required to wear uniforms (sucks for my brother and sister)
--------
What up peoplez how y'all

Its Alfaitha, The Villian.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #12

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Spiff Send a message via MSN to Spiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitha
I just dont really see the benefit from uniforms, by High School, you should be mature enough that what you should wear doesnt affect your academics.
There's something that goes together: High School and maturity.

I agree with you, but that's a perfect world. People are stupid and don't want/think enough to be academically sound.

Last edited by Spiff; 06-03-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #13

Zerlina
Chocobo Jockey

I don't see how what you're wearing affects your academics.

And would it hurt them to make uniforms at least a little flattering? They're all huge (I'm practically swimming in all my clothes) and their sweaters go down to your knees. I think we look more like slobs in clothes that are too big for us and are completely unbecoming colours, than if we were to get uniforms which fit us properly (ie: not too tight like what some people want, but not potato sacks either).
Old 09-27-2005, 02:09 AM   #14

Totorosama
Highwind Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Totorosama
Re: School Uniforms

Uniforms are completely defective. I had them (only for PE, thankfully) and as the sizes got bigger, it only got wider, never longer. I always had them too short. THat stank! I think you should just wear whatever you want, as long as it follows dress code. At my school, the no uniform system works fine. Only stupid people break the code. Or those who have no clothes left...
Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #15
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

Re: School Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff
There's something that goes together: High School and maturity. .
Spiff, are you serious or my headache does not allow me to see the irony in it?

I've never used uniform. I know people who used them I think the uniforms are used in order to keep the environment of study. You know, perhaps fashion hair cuts, cool clothes and other things might disturb the environment of study(did you see the chapter of The Simpsons in which school boys are forced to wear uniforms due to the 'revolution' caused by Bart's T-shirt?)
But I think it should not be compulsory. Somehow it's against the freedom for expression, isn't it?
Closed Thread