Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > General > Serious Discussion and Debates
Community Mark Forums Read

Serious Discussion and Debates For serious subjects. Curent events, news, religion, politics and science. As this is a debate forum posts in here MUST HAVE at least 20 words and be relevent to the discussion.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #1

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
Thumbs up Level-up your life!

Ok...now I know this may seem like an odd-topic and seemingly may not belong in the SD&D section...but I assure you I am very serious w/a semi-serious Title

Everyone who plays role-playing games knows the benefits of leveling. (ie: a level 50 character is stronger than a level 20 character.) Simply put - gaining levels is (typically) a good idea. ;hea ;a06

My reason for posting this topic is this:

WHAT IF PEOPLE TREATED THEIR LIVES THE SAME WAY?!?!

Now, here's where I'm going, if I sound a little wierd - please just follow me the best you can...

Its difficult where to put a level one person at...I suppose the best place you could (honestly) say a level one individual would be would be in the body of an infant - just born. One would have basic health, dexterity, you can pass gas, eat, etc. etc. XD

Fast-forward about 7 years...I would put the average level of a 7 year old at about...4 or 5. You know a LOT more than you did as an infant. You're weaned, (hopefully) o_O you can fend for yourself in the kitchen if mom and dad aren't looking. Your survivability increases.

Fast-forward again about 10 years. Graduation! = D From H.S. = O! Honestly - compared to where you could possibly go - although you've learned SOOOO much, I would put a 17 y/o at about a level 10-12.

Why am I making this rediculous statement?!?! Because I believe its the God's honest truth. I think if more people treated their lives...not just their schooling - like a RPG the impact would be huge. What would a level 50 YOU look like, talk like, feel like? What would a lvl 75's bank account look like??? Put-aside the hair-braindedness of it for a minute and conceive (if you can) people reading for the sake of learning and growing as individuals...instead of beause they like war novels or the poets or Shakespeare...Imagine people actually learning to defend themselves for reasons other-than combat - ok...maybeh that's a bad example >_> But still. I'm going to use myself as an example.

When I graduated H.S....honestly, I feel like I was like, level 8. I got a sub-par education - although I value certain aspects of it...but - on average I was about an 8. I couldn't write an opus, I couldn't navigate around the world, I couldn't tell you 10 of the players on the Chicago Cubs or NY Mets at that time....I was far below average at best. (Hey, I'm just being honest - not berrating myself.) Currently, I feel like I'm about level 12 or 13....I'll tell you why later.

What I want to know is...what do YOU feel your current level is...and WHAT KIND/HOW MUCH experience will it take for you to 'level-up!' I think it makes for an interesting way to look at the world. Instead of trying to 'get by' or 'survive one more day.' It's a unique spin on personal development.

....of course, you're always going to have people who go for a 'low-level challenge.' By that I mean they're not doing it on purpose. They just couldn't care less and it shows in they're attitude about life, the government, they're relationships... Do you know anyone like this?
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.

Last edited by reasoniamalive; 07-21-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

Re: Level-up your life!

Wow, I like it! XD
I think the level thing is still a li'l messy though... O_o

But I've sure level'd-up during the last year: I had to deal with a 'special' flat-mate, I had to find a way out to get out of that place, I had to pass the exams (both in Germany and in Spain), I had to learn a new language, and to get on well with the people who went there with me.
Many people have told me that I have evolved...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #3

Phoenix Flame

Kewl...so what level would you say you're at? I have an idea...but I'm not telling you.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

The level thingy confuses me... XD

But well, I guess I'd be at level 20... (considering my OWN level rank, not yours XD )
Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #5

Phoenix Flame

...of course - its your life. But actually I was thinking the exact same thing Luis...about your level I mean.

What don't you understand (or find to be confusing?) Feel free to post more ideas pweez.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #6

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor

Hmmm...I find this theory of yours to be a farly good one. If people thought about their lives the same way as if they were working hard enough to level up in a game, then the real world would be full of much more intelligent people, capable of leading the human race to a better future. I mean, if you worked hard while you wre still in school in order to raise your 'level', then by the time you gradutaed only high school, you could probably be a level 40. No kidding. Teenagers ARE perfectly good enough to get that far just through high school. And could you just imagine those same people after they graduate from college? It would be insane.

If we all worked hard enough, we'd all be geniuses, pretty much. Of course, the world can't be a perfect place. So life as in 'levels' is an interesting thought, but it' something that may be unachieveable.

Right now, in my short, short life-span, mentally-wise, I'm probably around level 25. At least, i would like to think so. >_> I don't know what it would take for me to leel up, exactly, though...I level up just by learining lessons about life, I suppose. I have, too, so it all works out. @@
Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 AM   #7

Phoenix Flame

Hmm...The human brain is not dissimilar than a sponge. Especially in younger years, humans learn extensively. Do you know how many languages a child can learn...as many as you'll teach them. The brain of a 30 year-old man is much more difficult to train - ESPECIALLY if he hasn't used it for 10 years since college. XD With all that there is to learn and know - a seemingly infinite availability of information out there....I have a difficult time believing that someone can reach a level 40 by H.S. Not that I'm invalidating your point...just that I have a hard time thinking that a person can reach a stage of emotional, spiritual, and physical maturity by that age.

However, with that being said - I don't think it's impossible. Just look at Japanese young people these days >__> Sheesh! Faust...may I ask what you've learned in life that makes you believe you are level 25? I'm asking from a learning standpoint - not a condescending one. I'm a student (can you tell) of personal development...so I would appreciate anyone's advice/knowledge.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #8

kb-sama
Master Summoner

Send a message via AIM to kb-sama

Hmmmm, kb would say he is at LV16, i mean i ACED high school...Hell,i was clam a few days ago when my mom tryed to kill herself rushed her to the ER shes ok now ,and i can fix SOMETHINGS only bad thing is my math rank,kb suck at math

"I Have No Idea Whats Go'in on"
kb-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 AM   #9
Zeromus_X
Master Summoner

命がレベルアップする!

I would say that I am at about level 15 or so. Even though I've learned alot of things, I'm still terrible at communicating with people sometimes. And there are always more things to learn.

I would say that we 'level up' as we learn new things, mature, and become more successful, in regards to life in general.

Well, only 240 more levels to go.

Last edited by Zeromus_X; 06-15-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Zeromus_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:30 AM   #10

Phoenix Flame

So...you've got 255 levels, eh Zero? XD!

Sorry, I'm not trying to comment on everyone's posts as they post them. I did have this to add though: I've heard of this topic before but in a different context. You would rate your life in 6 different areas... *thinks hard* Family, finances and assets, Friends and other relationships, education, spirituality, and career. The author would ask you to arrange the categories around a circle with each category being equidistant from the center (remember geometry?) Now give yourself a rating from 1-10 (ours would be out of 99...or in Zero's case, 255) and that should give you some idea of where you stand in life. If your 'wheel' isn't round, what can you do in each area of life to 'level' that section. Doing this two years ago I came up with a highly unsatisfactory score...but that dissatisfaction motivated me to better my life and grow as a person. I'm happy to report that I've made progress! =^__^=

Here's what I think it will take for me to get to the next level.

- $6,000 (US) in liquid assets (savings)
- Read 3 GOOD books
- Visit a country outside of the US (and no, Canada doesn't count) XP
- Make an effort to improve the quality of my friendships/relationship w/my family.
- Change career paths...and begin focusing on my business.

Once these 5 things occur I'll be level 13 = 3

Last edited by reasoniamalive; 06-15-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #11

Spec Highwind
The Portuguese Dragoon

Send a message via MSN to Spec Highwind Send a message via Yahoo to Spec Highwind

I'm like level 6/7.

After these holidays I'll be level 7/8

"My hopes live on in those who remain"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
omg.
that quote is totally going in my sig.
Spec Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #12

dappa
Master Summoner

I'd say im at level 18 for mainly personal reasons.

But what if someone just levelled up to the maximum like in rpg's they'd be brainiacs.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 AM   #13

Phoenix Flame

Hmmm...isn't that a good thing?!?

Besides, they'll be elite in EVERY area of life...not just in the intelligence dept.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:23 AM   #14

Doctor
Highwind Captain

Send a message via AIM to Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoniamalive
Hmm...The human brain is not dissimilar than a sponge. Especially in younger years, humans learn extensively. Do you know how many languages a child can learn...as many as you'll teach them. The brain of a 30 year-old man is much more difficult to train - ESPECIALLY if he hasn't used it for 10 years since college. XD With all that there is to learn and know - a seemingly infinite availability of information out there....I have a difficult time believing that someone can reach a level 40 by H.S. Not that I'm invalidating your point...just that I have a hard time thinking that a person can reach a stage of emotional, spiritual, and physical maturity by that age.

However, with that being said - I don't think it's impossible. Just look at Japanese young people these days >__> Sheesh! Faust...may I ask what you've learned in life that makes you believe you are level 25? I'm asking from a learning standpoint - not a condescending one. I'm a student (can you tell) of personal development...so I would appreciate anyone's advice/knowledge.
Eh, maybe I was overexaggerating. Intellect-wise, I always THOUGHT that I was at a high level, but it depends on other people's point of view. Schools and some people think that you can measure how smart a person is by using standardized tests, and I.Q. exams--but that's just bullshit. You can't possibly measure a person's mental capabilities, or how smart they are just by testing. Not even by how a person behaves can you figure that out, nor is it how exactly they contribute to their own life and others, or how well they get along with people...you would even start to think that there IS no way to truly measure a person's true brilliance. But people do make displays of that certain genius, no matter what it is, and they show us that way.

Now, emotionally-wise and just life-wise in general, I'm sure that I've got a long ways to go...I honestly have no idea where I'm at, really. I leave it up to other people to decide for themselves how smart I am, intellectually, spiritually, etc.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:55 AM   #15

Phoenix Flame

...leave it up to other people to debate...but give yourself the freedom to choose how far you'll go in life.