Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Final Fantasy Discussion > Final Fantasy VII
Community Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy VII The Legendary Final Fantasy! Come talk about this classic Hit from 1997

Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
mikeh2304
T-Rexuar Snack

A melody in One-Winged Angel

Hello, FFNet.

I have a question about music. There is a trumpet melody in One-Winged Angel, just after the singing, that begins with a "staircase". Does anyone know what melody I'm talking about?

Anyway, I am curious: What is your attitude toward this melody? Did you like or dislike it? How did it make you feel? And what do you think it's trying to express?

I find it to be a very interesting melody. I will post more about it after I hear your thoughts.
mikeh2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
gcarev10
Master Thief

Re: A melody in One-Winged Angel

i think that my heart beet faster then usual coz of all things batle and music so this 2 things gos together.i was goo for me.
gcarev10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #3

SethirothVII
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via MSN to SethirothVII

its cool also in latin makes it sound more mysterious and evil best song in the game joint with aeris theme tune

http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1098
SethirothVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #4

Austin Al
Vivi's Minder

Send a message via Yahoo to Austin Al

U r all right Becuse that was the best movie on the planet!!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
Zeromus_X
Master Summoner

I don't know alot about music terminologies, but most of the beats in the tune (especially the trumpets or whatever in the background) made that 'Omg it's the final battle' feeling.
Zeromus_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:28 AM   #6

Austin Al
Vivi's Minder

really to me the battle music is more like a this is it song. its in latin makes it sound more mysterious. but not more evil.. it fits Sephiroth and the way he is becuse he's dark and mysterious ( i like that Word mysterious) Any who.... the music is suppose to be scary feeling not scary scary ( if u can folw what im saying good job) and it gives U A RUSH.... lol

To tell u the truth i have no idea what the message in the music is
Old 05-13-2006, 05:11 AM   #7
Zeromus_X
Master Summoner

Here.

And this might help too.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:31 AM   #8

SethirothVII
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via MSN to SethirothVII

there are two versions the MIDI version wot doesnt sound too good and has no lyrics and the MP3 or wma version wot they use in the game its the orchestra version with the lyrics if you wanna download the wam version for free its quite hard to get hold of.

http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1098
SethirothVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
mikeh2304
T-Rexuar Snack

That's a beautiful picture, Austin. What inspired it?

Zeromus_X: Thanks for the link

Anyway, there is a specific part of the song that interests me. It's the part from 2:14 to 2:38. The first melody has eight notes, the second has four notes, and the third has six notes.

The theme of this melody seems to be divine splendor. Sephiroth is becoming a God.

I remember when I first fought Safer Sephiroth, and heard this part. And it gave me the biggest chill I have ever felt in my life from music. It remains my single favorite video game melody.

So I did some reading and found that several factors influence the experience of emotion, and in particular, chills, in music. You can find the transcript of the program here: Gray Matters: Music and the Brain.

"Panksepp has found that among the listeners he tested, the chills occur when the music suddenly shifts, and a single voice, ...like a lonely, anguished cry in the wilderness... emerges from the background."

"Bharucha says the most important component of experiencing emotions in music involves the violation of expectations. Listeners like music that's expected... and familiar. But listeners also enjoy surprises... music that's novel... music that violates expectations."

In fact, the second melody -- actually, a counterpoint of two melodies -- seems to violate seven expectations in a row, one on every half-beat, as if it is surprising you by performing an act. I'll say what I think these violated expectations are, for your listening pleasure:

1. The first note of the top melody is one half-step above the tonic.
2. The second note is moved to conjunctly (step-wise) rather than disjunctly as in the first melody.
3. The third note is downward motion.
4. The fourth note is upward motion.
5. The fourth note is prolonged.
6. (no expectation violated on this beat)
7. The highest note of the bottom melody falls below the lowest of the second melody and the highest of the first.
8. The last note of the bottom melody is the same as its third-to-last note, rather than its fourth-to-last. This is in logical agreement with the top melody, and suggests that both melodies are singing about the "same thing".

The top melody kind of flaunts its high and low note, and then the horns laud it in a third measure. I love that!

I posted about this because I thought some people would think the melody is, well, somewhat arrogant. It kind of... wails in your face about how much more powerful Safer Sephiroth is than you. Would you object to someone listening to this melody over and over again?

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Last edited by mikeh2304; 05-13-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Zeromus_X
Master Summoner

I...wish I knew that much about music.

I guess I'll play the song and try to figure out what melody you're talking about then. :P

Try this link to download the song, unless it doesn't work. Put a pop-up blocker on though...

Last edited by Zeromus_X; 05-13-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
gcarev10
Master Thief

It is good music so Z , kids of this days hammm
Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #12

Austin Al
Vivi's Minder

thank u for sayin u liked my picture..... i'm not sure y i did it.... lol i just started with the words and then i put one picture on there.,... and it looked dull... and i just keep going... i messed up alot... but no one has said anything about that,, so its all good....i don't know that much about music but that is a good part of the song.... i personaly liked 3:14 - 4:00 the most & 5:12 - 5:42 lol i just love that song...

I had to take that picture off... sorry..... everyone got mad becuse of the size......

Sephiroth well always be the god of games to me.... he's just so cool
Old 05-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #13
mikeh2304
T-Rexuar Snack

Yes, 3:14-4:00 is beautiful. The final "Sephiroth!" part I like. The music sets you up for it.

Anyway, I thought I should mention that the second melody of the interlude -- the four-note one -- is found in Domine Jesu Christe of Mozart's Requiem. The only difference is in which notes are emphasized.

Safer Sephiroth is a seraph, an angel of the highest order, and he has a halo and an ornament that kind of looks like a sun. And Jesus, of course, is the Son of God in Christianity. I wonder if it this was intentional of Uematsu.