Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   General FF Discussion (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Advent Children (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3248)

Shinra Soldier 1 10-08-2007 05:10 PM

Advent Children

I just bought the DVD (I had pirated it about a year ago) and I was thinking, why is it not as good as I thought it was? I mean I highly enjoyed it and everyone, but I don't see why no one makes a movie as great as the game. Ever since i've played that game, I've never played anything as beautiful, except maybe baten kaitos eternal wings and the lost ocean. It's just silly that they are fighting off some virus thing and sephiroth clones. I would still give it a four star out of five, but it just makes me realize all the more that movies based of games and vice versa (except resident evil extinction) is not the best move

Kat 10-08-2007 07:21 PM

Re: Advent Children

yea, it is silly isn't it?

Ever since I beat FFX for the first time, i wanted them to make a movie out of it, and then i seen the other FF movies (Spirit Within, AC.) and i freaked.
I thought SW was horrible.
its just not the same when they turn it into a movie.

Fawkes Lament 10-08-2007 08:08 PM

Yeah. It's different with most movies based on a SERIES, 'cause they have a story to itself, built on the game. Movies that are based on the events in a GAME turn out crappier.

Shinra Soldier 1 10-08-2007 08:35 PM

I'm glad i'm not the only one that agreed, I felt like a bad ff follower at first : )

Fawkes Lament 10-08-2007 08:36 PM

Advent Children was a really good animation. I think we're all going to be waiting for someone to top that.

Shinra Soldier 1 10-08-2007 08:38 PM

It was very beautiful, that's probably a huge plus to it

Fawkes Lament 10-08-2007 08:44 PM

And the new characters, bringing Reno, and President Shinra back, that was sweet. And on the DVD, "Reminisce of FFVII", I had fun watching it.

Shinra Soldier 1 10-08-2007 08:51 PM

Oh man I can't wait to see that! I want to see the deleted scenes, i'm glad i'll be able to see it in english this time!

Gackt Camui 11-12-2007 10:58 AM

I feel you pain with SW...I didn't enjoy it all either. But you know whats funny...those movies are extremely hard to understand if you haven't played the game and remember what you played. You really won't get the story line that well. I was explaining the whole thing to my mom...and well I just gave up because theres just to much to explain...she doesn't play any video games.

clief101_ 11-12-2007 11:38 AM

thats so tru, i had to do the same thing with my mum, its jus too hard to explain it to sum1 who hasnt played the game b4...but i agree, its gonna b very hard to top that 1

Avathar 12-15-2007 03:35 PM

I think I'm still one of the few here that thinks Advent Children was totally crap and so much worse on as good as all aspects in comparison with The Spirits Within. :p AHWELL.

Hydra 12-15-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avathar (Post 109115)
I think I'm still one of the few here that thinks Advent Children was totally crap and so much worse on as good as all aspects in comparison with The Spirits Within. :p AHWELL.

No, I agree. And not just because you're Avathar. :3

AC is pretty, but compared to the game, seriously compared to it, it's not too great. Spirits Within wasn't based on a game, so you really can't compare it with anything. The first approach they tried may have failed to most, but personally, I like it better.

I think we're just weird though. D:

Avathar 12-15-2007 03:52 PM

On the other hand, there IS the whole FFVII-and-its-related-stuff-fandom, which is becoming quite big for its bridges, and also becoming irritating, so I didn't had any high hopes eitherway when I first heard that Advent Children was coming out! I do like Final Fantasy 7, though, but I keep my 'fandom' to that single game and don't idolize it.

But apart from that, there simply wasn't much at all that I found really appealing to AC. Like I said before in a similar thread, even the quality of the animation isn't that good! And the weak story that's supposed to be a mighty follow-up to the game's story, nope, didn't cut it at all. And hah, if you didn't play the game, of course there was no way you could slightly grasp what AC is all about.

And yeah, it's sorta typical to start comparing AC and TSW, probably BECAUSE the diverse differences are kinda big. ;*

D;

Hydra 12-15-2007 03:58 PM

Mmhmm. It's a hit or miss thing.

Either it'll be overrated because of all the FF7 fanboys, or hated, because it has a weird spikey haired dude with a big sword, killing monsters. It'll draw in people who haven't played the game, for sure, but for the most part, the only fans of the movie are the ones who played the games.

Unlike TSW, like you said. They're two different types of movies, so comparing them would be silly. :3

Gackt Camui 01-28-2008 10:30 AM

Well dur you can't compare the movie to the game because they are two totally different things. One you got to play and the other you only get to sit and watch. Final Fantasy VII took the world by storm and people still love it! Obviously nothing is going to live up to it.