Final Fantasy Network

Final Fantasy Network (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Video Games (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Chrono Trigger (http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75)

FFnut 02-17-2005 05:48 PM

Chrono Trigger

Possibly the greatest non-FF game developed by Square. I'm serious.

The Basic Story: Crono, the main character, wakes up and goes to the Millenial Fair - this is the year 1000 AD and a festival is being held for both the year and the 400th anniversary of the kingdom's defeat of a wizard named Magus. Crono's best friend, Lucca, is an inventor and she and her father have built a new machine that they're showing off at the fair. At the fair, Crono bumps into a girl named Marle who asks him to show her around the fair. They go to Lucca's area and Crono tests out the teleporter. Marle then decides to try, but the teleporter reacts oddly with her pendant and she vanishes. Crono picks up the pendant and Lucca activates the machine again, sending him wherever Marle is - or, rather WHENever. Crono ends up in the year 600 AD, during the war with Magus, and goes to search for Marle. During the adventure, he also meets Frog, an honorable knight who was cursed by Magus to turn into a frog; Robo, a robot from the bleak future of 2300 AD; Ayla, a woman from 65,000,000 BC; and even Magus himself. Crono's team defeats a creature of unimaginable power, Lavos, when it attempts to destroy the world in 1999 AD, thereby saving the future.

Characters:

Crono: A boy from the year 1000 AD. Crono is best friends with Lucca, an inventor. Upon Marle's disappearance into 600 AD, Crono's adventure through time begins...
Lucca: Crono's best friend, and an inventor. She builds the telepod and later invents time travel. Her skills with machinery are often required by the team.
Marle: A girl whom Crono meets at the Millenial Fair. The telepod reacts with her pendant and catapults her into 600 AD. Marle has a good heart and wants to keep everyone happy, even if they're from a different time period than she.
Frog: Once a young man named Glenn, Magus cursed him to become a frog. As far as I can tell, the spell only half worked - he still retained his humanoid shape and ability to speak, but his physical appearance became that of a frog's.
Robo: When the team arrives in 2300 AD, they come across a broken-down robot called R-66Y. After renaming him "Robo" the robot joins the team in hopes of saving his time.
Ayla: A woman from prehistoric times, Ayla is very strong. She is unable to use magic, because she comes from a time before magic was invented, but she leads her people in battle against the Reptites, humanoid dinosaurs who want to rule the world and wipe out the "apes."
Magus: A dark wizard from 600 AD, Magus is believed to be the creator of Lavos, the creature that would destroy the world 1399 years later. His army battles against the kingdom of Guardia.

All in all, a pretty good game if you ignore all the time paradoxes, but it's also got 12 different endings depending on how or when you beat the game.

Zynk 03-17-2005 06:30 PM

i like magus but you have to have items to tech with him

Quezacotl 04-01-2005 05:22 PM

I thought it was a pretty good game and tougher than any FF's I've played, but I never did complete it. I think I got stuck at some point and couldn't find where to go at all, so I just stopped playing it completely. I'd need to start it again now if I were to play it again because I can't remember anything that happened, but I will do that... one day. :p

LoKuS 05-04-2005 01:35 AM

I have played it, but never beat it. it was good tho.

KeN4628 06-22-2005 01:05 PM

Re: Chrono Trigger

Yeah it's not a bad game. I got stuck aswel. The dualtech or whatever was called rocked too. :D

alfaitha 06-25-2005 01:53 PM

haha, I also played it, and never beat it. I got to the end, and wasn't strong enough to beat the guy, so I went back to train and stuff. Then I remembered that it had multiple endings, which means I would have to beat it more than once. Eventually, I just lost interest, and never beat it, cuz that was when I got my first summer jo, so I never had time anyway.

DarkCloud 07-21-2005 02:27 PM

Like almost everyone else, i never finished this game, i really enjoyed it though! one of the best Rpg's i've ever played.

jecht 07-22-2005 03:43 AM

really hard didnt beat it. bloody fun tho!

Zeromus_X 08-02-2005 01:34 AM

i loved chrono trigger! the first time i beat it, i had to use a guide, but every other time i played through it, i didnt have to use it again. my favorite character is magus. the story and music was awesome(it was made by square, so...)and the toriyama art rocked! i never tried to get all the endings though. has anyone played the sequels? also, ive seen this manga called "chrono crusade", and the logo has a clock that looks an awful lot like the clock in CT's logo. is this chrono crusade related at all to chrono trigger? just wondered. :)

dappa 10-19-2006 05:49 PM

I just aquired a rom of this game the other day and had a look at it. The game looks good so I am gonna have a bash at it soon.

Phoenix Flame 05-20-2007 09:00 AM

Wow... O.O I didn't realize how difficult this game was for people.

I was just thinking about this game today (before I saw this thread.) I was having so many nostalgic feelings and emotions! <_>

I think it's one of the best games of all time.

Have you played your ROM any Dappa???

Slider 05-20-2007 09:52 AM

Nice game, but a friend "borrowed" it from me and haven't returned it until now, I didn get to do much in it

Like it much that u decide your own destiny (where to go, who to have fight with you), kinda realistic not a programmed storyline

Darkreno 05-30-2007 03:37 AM

i too played it n didn't finish it. but marius has the guide for it she got it 4 the SNES n the PS1. she's got all the endings 4 it i think i kno she has quite a bit of them though.

Phoenix Flame 05-31-2007 04:10 AM

Most of the endings are bunk...but a few are quite lovely. = D

Doctor 06-01-2007 03:08 AM

I played a VERY tiny little bit of it, and I didn't think it was all that great. it was pretty cool to see Toriyama-Sensei's art style implemented in the game, but other than that, it didn't have enough to keep me playing.