View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 09:04 AM   #4

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart
Lol, GFs.

*shakes head*

The GFs suck, when talking about summoning them. They're fairly useful in the early stages of the game, but lose in usefulness the farther and farther you get in the game. Still, I do have 1 favourite.. Diablos

I've finished FF8 3 times I think (the 3rd time was solely to get through the game at the lowest possible level).. and with each game I summoned less and less GFs. The first time, I used them throughout the game, but I used them a lot less the 2nd time (hardly at all except for the first disc basically), and the 3rd time I don't think summoned a GF in battle more than once or twice in total or something. GFs takes too much time to summon, and their damage is generally not worth the hassle, especially later in the game. So what do I do in battles in FF8? Simple.

1) Meltdown all enemies.
2) Triple-Aura.
3) Wack away with limit breaks.

I've found that this is definately the easiest way to get through the game, especially when you're at very high levels, and you also get way faster battles this way than when using mainly GFs. What do I do before I get Aura? Well, in boss fights I take Squall's HP down to the yellows, barely enough to survive a boss' strongest attack, and hit the bastard with Renzokuken over and over. The other party members are then merely supporting Squall to make sure he doesn't die. Not difficult, and a lot of fun actually.

The one thing I don't like about FF8 is the level system, and it's not a small thing. In FF8, you can basically beat any enemy or boss at any level (except maybe Omega Weapon). Where's the challenge? Last time I played I escaped from every single random battle and killed the final boss at level 19 (higher than I would have liked, but oh well). The game gets HARDER at higher levels, when enemies' HP shoots sky high and their sometimes very strong special attacks become available (as an example, there is NO comparison whatsoever between a Red Dragon at a level lower than 20 and one at level 100). In the end, the level system in FF8 completely ruins the fun of leveling up your characters, and building up your characters becomes only a hunt for 300 of all the best magic for junctioning.

Despite this, I've actually had a lot of fun with this game. I love the meltdown + aura + limit break combination, it's a lot more fun than using those boring GFs over and over. This game is one of the worst FF games IMO, but far from bad. That says a lot about the FF series doesn't it?

And finally.. as for favourite character. If you've read my post in the FFVII section, my favourite characters are here (which should be obvious from my main battle strategy) just like there based on their limit breaks. Squall is the unchallenged #1, followed by Irvine. Then Zell and Quistis, then Rinoa and the worst character is Selphie. Just like with Cait Sith of FF7, I don't like the randomness of her limit breaks. Sure you may get The End, although I never did (never tried, never played with her), but what's the chances unlesss you cheat? Renzokuken ownz!
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote