View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #18

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar
Re: Avathar's reviews

"Miami Vice"

First off, I'ld have to say: This new Miami Vice movie is after my feeling the most daring action-thriller you could see in the cinema this year.

Fans of the 'old school' tv-series be warned: Ricardo Tubbs and Sonny Crockett are no more. So don't expect the beloved eighties trademarks, such as no more mocassins, no pastel-colours, and no Elvis the crocodile pet.
Now it's time for Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell to play their roles (very fitting roles, even though these two aren't exactly my favourite actors). But in this film, they play both overdone tv-icons and ultra-brutal undercover-agents; who have lost significance of the border between show and existence, and between servant of the law and involver of crime.

Their violent job and scarse private life are entangled hopelessly, and that's what causing the problems when loose-edged Farrell begins a relationship with the mistress of a glotious drugbaron.
Bullets are flying around, the high-speed chases (on land, on water, and in the sky) are looking seriously life-threatening, and the gun-fights are breathtaking.

But still, I find this a long expected movie adaptation by the former co-producer of the original series, Michael Mann ('Heat', 'Collateral'), and he succeeds in bringing forth anything but a corny blockbuster piece.
There's obviously aimed for an adult audience, 'cause there's nowhere in this movie a moronic one-liner, or a pseudo-acting hiphopper to be found. And besides the cold hard impressiveness of the already mentioned parts, the viewers are also being treated with sensual scenes (co-actrices Gong Li and Naomi Harris are astonishly great looking than ever).

And above all, Michael Mann's working method tends to go to a level of experimental cinematics than to an average Hollywood action-flick. The bold mix of old-fashion AND digital camera-footage sometimes has a disgruntled effect (viewers could become sea-sick by just watching the long boatride sequence).
The contempary use of dialogues makes the film containing an almost abstract impression. The immer fitting musical score is saying more than words.

The true lovers of a nostalgic trip to the eighties or people that expect another lame 'Bad Boys'-look alike: they'll have to set aside their preferences.
The people that are in for an ultimate anti-blockbuster, they know which movie to pick: Miami Vice.

8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
Now, contemplate the tuttifrutti powahs in my avatar!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!
Last.fm YouTube DeviantArt Last.FM TheShrine DinoButt
Avathar is offline   Reply With Quote