View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #4

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame
Re: FFXII: International

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
Most of the additional features are pretty superfluous but I think the job system will overall make the battle system far more balanced. They are changing most spells to AoE (Area of Effect) and adding gambits like "Foe: more then 2/3 etc in range" which will probably make offensive magic slightly less then the joke it is now. There will more then likely still be a massive advantage for physical characters but at least now players will actually have to specialize a little instead of making all your characters the same. It's a pity it's come to this, since players should have had incentive to specialize from the beginning and ideally I would have like to have seen an entire re-balancing of the license board to make this possible, however this is probably the next best thing.

But yeah, I could do without most of the other things. Boss rush modes never really appealed to me and controlling guests and summons only has limited appeal (the latter will probably still be useless anyway unless they boost their power). I probably won't bother with the game unless it receives an English localization but with the release of Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ in a few months it that might not be such a pie-in-the-sky fantasy.
I agree...most of the features are more 'fluff' than anything else....and I'm not excited about speeding-up boss battles either....especially against optional bosses like Zodiark :S But I'm in favor of running 2x speed through the Feywood or Giza plains or somewhere along those lines to save precious moments from my rediculously boring life. =33

I would have been interested in a 're-balancing' of the LB too - or having it done way with altogether and instituting a job-only system - such as was seen in IV and tactics. -------on a side note, I - like many - didn't know you could add more party members during the second/third/....etc. playable battles in Tactics. I fought hard only to get pwn'd again and again at the fourth necessary battle *I'll get more info on this later* with the wizards and archers. ------
Those battles were awesome - and the custimization level of your characters just made the game a touch sweeter. Anyway - I feel like if the job system was the only (or at least, optional) feature of XII it would make the game THAT much more of a Legend. I (for one) didn't mind the switch from ATB to live battles. I think its the times. XIII is just another FF for me...so of course I'll purchase/pwn it. But I really like action-adventure - which was what FF XII was leaning towards when they added this type of battle scope. I would LOVE S2 to see a job-system only XII. I think that would be an epic win!!

Controlling summons (thanks ToD - I forgot about that feature) actually will improve the summon espers significantly. Although I am certain that this will still not be enough to coherse players into using them all the time. Albeit that some battles they are actually VERY useful for. (Try summoning Zeromus in your battle w/Exodus for example.) Still. Controllability (as I've mentioned) will only get you so far with espers. They take away a character - two if you can't control the damned thing - and just aren't THAT necessary during gameplay.

All-in-all. This should prove to be the remake that outdoes X:International. I can see >10million copies being sold worldwide time-wise the same as X is currently. What's it been.....five years since X: Int. was realeased? I can see that figure doubling for XII: Int. I want to see the remake, I'm sure a LOT of people who weren't satisfied with XII will want to see it also.
You only get one shot at life. Follow your heart.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote