Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Final Fantasy Discussion > Final Fantasy VIII
Community Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy VIII Bring back the memories of the great adventure of a Man and his Gun.... Blade

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #1

Gunslinger
Vivi's Minder

Rinoa -- Worth it?

A long, long, long, long time ago i posted a similiar post to this and got a VERY mixed reaction.

Is it just me is Rinoa the most camp, wet and ditsy woman to have disgraced Final Fantasy? At every point in the game i was as unpleasant as possible to her!!! I really do wish that i had a choice about weather to rescue her form space!

Throughout the game all she does is slow down the story and is far to nice to just about everyone.

She is like a cross between every FF woman ever, a result of which is she doesnt have a personality!

I think after this game Square started thinking about their female characters a bit more, i thought LuLu was a wicked character, but again Yuna was lame.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #2

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

ha! reading your post was most amusing and refreshing, I feel exactly the same as you do about Rinoa and Yuna, I realy don't understand why people like those two, they truly are awful characters and I was also rde to Riona whenever possible, I can imagine a lot of people have flamed you for writing this post else where though! thank you for posting your opinion I was starting to think I was alone in thinking they were bad characters!
Old 01-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #3

Gunslinger
Vivi's Minder

Yeah i got absolutly taken to peices.......mad the mistake of saying she was the worst character in the game!!! Loads of people were saying she was the best character in the game, which i couldnt comment on as I'm proud to say I've never used her!!!

Best characters gotta be Irvine or Squall power-wise surely?? Both have EVIL limit breaks...
Old 01-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #4

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart
I really don't like Rinoa battle-wise, but I have no problem with her story-wise She can be a little annoying in the earlier parts of the game, but she gets better as she and Squall get closer I did use Rinoa in battle through one game, but I never will again. Ugh lol.

And I'd say Zell is better than Irvine combat-wise, if you're good with Duel you can deal craploads of damage per turn (I read some maniac managed to get 400-500k damage in 1 single Duel). Quistis also has some kickass limit breaks.. although Degenerator has gotta be one of the cheapest spells ever made. I've never seen it fail on any random encounter. She has a limit break magic that can exceed 9999 damage too

As for Yuna, I don't see what the problem is? I'm not saying I like her a lot, but I don't dislike her either. Then I have a bigger problem with Tidus and Rikku, story-wise
Memories will fade
Old 01-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #5

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

I can imagine you did, loads of people love her,lol.
as for Yuna I just find her painfully boring! I have no idea why people love her so much and when they tried to make her more interesting for f10-2 she just looked slutty, and her persionality was stull dull.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:39 PM   #6

Zatsugaku
T-Rexuar Snack

rinoa is a 'bit' pitiful when it comes to battling, that little kite thing she fires just doesnt float any boats on my pond. as for a character, i guess she's ok, mysterious at first and rescuable later on, quistis is a far better character in my opinion in battling and story wise
Old 01-23-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
Lion Heart
T-Rexuar Snack

Wow I must be in a real minority here. Rinoa was one of my favorite characters from the game and I used her in battle all the time. You can't tell me that Wishing Star isn't an awesome attack. But anyway I won't say much else since it looks like I'm about one of the only Rinoa likers here lol
Old 01-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #8

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

if you like her you can say as much as you like in her favour, its good to have different opions it gets conversations going (just as long as nobody gets upset and starts being rude). I have to agree she is fine in battle, she was a bit weak at he sart of the game and my normal party consists of squall (duh), zell and quists, but I used rinoa and irvine to beat omega weapon becuase she is much better if you train her, its just her annoying persionality that I dont like.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:17 AM   #9

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

I think Rinoa's limit breaks are pathetic.. and in FF7/8 I define a character's useability in combat by how much I like their limit breaks So she's the worst character in the game combat-wise IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavens cloud
she is much better if you train her
Training/leveling up is severly overrated in FF8 More fun to play with as low as possible levels
Memories will fade
Old 01-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #10

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

what about he <insert dogs name> revive? very useful if you all happen to die you get a second chance and there is another useful one i seem to remember....anyway in my opinion the worst combat wise is Selphie :P
Old 01-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #11

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Okay okay, Selphie and Rinoa can tie for it

That revive thing can be nice, but in the file where I used Rinoa throughout the game I think he did that revive thing like once ever. It's way too random to be useful (you can not rely on it), same goes for Selphie's limit break. Apparently you can control what limit breaks Angelo learns, and thus which ones he will use, but I still find most of the other characters' limit breaks far more useful
Memories will fade
Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #12

FFnut
Master Thief

Location: The space between dimensions... kinda like where Gilgamesh ends up in FF5.
Invincible Moon was the only thing that stood betwen me and death while I was Tonberry Hunting for the Tonberry GF. I gained a lot of respect for Rinoa that day (having the Tonberry GF on Disc 2? The shopping abilites should all be learned by Esthar, and then you can REALLY have fun shopping.)

"Only an egotistical bastard would sig himself." ~ FFnut

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Commander Of The Platinum Dragons

Official Ex-Member
Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #13

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

Rinoa does seem suprisingly good in tough boss fights, I wonder why that is 0_0 thanks shadowheart you reminded me what the dogs name was I could not remember before,lol.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 AM   #14

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

I don't remember having any problems getting the Tonberry GF... was a while ago though...
Memories will fade
Old 01-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #15

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

he was not that tough, but like I said I said I used Rinoa in my party to defeat omega weapon and he IS tough :P
Closed Thread