Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Non-Gaming Related > The Entertainment Domain
Community Mark Forums Read

The Entertainment Domain Discuss everything from Television, Movies, Music, Comics, Anime, Cartoons, DVDs To Home Theatre Setups! And Anything Related to it.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

Comic/videogames based movies

Reading the thread about the new Marvel movies that Tiny Bronco posted, it just came to my mind something that I always think and ask the people about it: Am I the only one person who is so much dissapointed with the comic based movies? Or with the videogames based ones??
I'll put some examples:

I've always thought that X-Men movies coulh have been way cooler. I mean, I think the portrayal is very important in this kind of movies. And I find Sabretooth's portrayal really bad... I didn't like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine either... Not to say that I'd have kept the original customes for everyone. Magneto also seems to me not more that an old guy in da movie... while it seems to be much more powerful in the comics. I also disliked that it they didn't fight a single sentinel (kay, in the third one and virtually...) and Gambit didn't appear there either!! And I'd love to see a good fight between Wolverine and Sabretooth, not that ****.
And they'd have chosen a cuter girl for the role of Rogue XD

Spiderman... The first movie is like, meh. XD But there in the 2nd one, one thing that offended me... Spiderman takes his mask out in the tram. And he doesn't care about it. Great. And then what? He takes high efforts to hide his identity, which sometimes gets himself in trouble (with Mary Jane, for example XD). But no, in the movie is like: 'You know what? I'm so 1337 that I can take my mask out if I want to.' ;ang That's not 1337 Mr.Director, 1337 would be a faithfull representation of the comic!!!

After this I only decided to see The Punisher and Fantastic Four, which I found both were quite good. There're few others, such as Hellboy, which I liked a lot.

And what about videogames based movies? Most of them are really bad. Well, definitely Alone in the Dark is the worst movie ever. Resident Evil is really bad too. I won't type anything about the Street Fighter movie(feat. Jean Claude Van Damm), 'cuz they're at the same level Alone in the Dark is. Not to mention Final Fantasy: the Spirits within, which is not only based in any of the games, but also is a very bad movie.

I need to ear something...
DANG! I feel much better now. XD
See ya later!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Slider
Master Summoner

Re: Comic/videogames based movies

A good point you've drawn to my attention Luis is that movies that appear are before its video game/comic is MUCH better than the vice-versa. Probably coz of the limitations of the real world

As for some movies, yeh i was disapointed by spiderman 2 (especially the obvious mistakes), and I agree that X-men could have been made even COOLER than its comics but it didn't turn out THAT bad, i think it missed out alot in the fights especially exploiting more the mutants abilities, and tnx for the rogue tip coz i feel disapointed when they switched actors coz it makes u feel less connected to the movie (Ex: Sonya + Raiden + Jax + Scorpion + many others in MK1 & MK2), the exact opposite is Fantastic 4 which i didn't expect THAT much creativity in the fights while i wasn't impressed with the rest which made it mediocre in my view

And no one would imagine my shock and sadness when i found out that The spirits within got nothing to do with ANY of the FF series much less even any of their branches!!! And most of the movie was too dark to see and everyone dies in it which didn't help making it any better!

Last edited by Slider; 02-24-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #3

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame

Yesh... X-Men could have been way better. I like Slider's viewpoint: It wasn't THAT bad XD Well-put! How about DareDevil??? The way they did his 'hearing' power is pretty sweet, but that didn't make up for the movie in general. I HAVE TO DISAGREE w/Luis as far as Resident Evil goes. I think that that series is definitely 1337! X P

...especially with Extinction set to release on my birthday ---> it's going down!
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #4

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart

DareDevil was mediocre IMO. Yes, the 'hearing' power was cool, but that's about it..

I did like the Spiderman movies (yes, both, but more the 1st), and I like the first 2 X-Men movies too (haven't seen the 3rd yet), am I the only one who like them? lol. Then again, I have hardly ever read any X-Men cartoons (maybe like 1 magazine), but I did use to read and watch a lot of Spiderman as a kid. I tend to like movies even if they don't hold 100% true to their books/cartoons/games more than most ppl, I'm usually not so fanatic that "everything has to be 100% correct or the movie is crap". Sometimes I feel like people take that a bit too far..

Fantastic 4 was not bad, much better than my expectations (which were low).

As for game-based movies.. Resident Evil wasn't a top movie, but I still didn't find it that bad and the 1st movie is probably my favourite among all game-based movies. The 2nd movie was a slight disappointment though.
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #5

Tiny Bronco
No Scoped

I did like how they showed DareDevils hear/seeing thing in the movie, but beside that it wasn't to swell. X-Men was pathetic compared to what could have been done with it.
The Punisher movie was just a lot of viloence.
Basically I agree with Luis.
Tiny Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #6

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Send a message via MSN to Hydra Send a message via Yahoo to Hydra

Video game based ones=Fail.

Comic ones=Not so fail.

Directors don't bother reading millions of comic books to make a perfect movie. XD Nor do they play games to find every nook and cranny, to make a perfect movie.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
Luis
ˇˇ Fresón rebelde ˇˇ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHeart
DareDevil was mediocre IMO. Yes, the 'hearing' power was cool, but that's about it..

I did like the Spiderman movies (yes, both, but more the 1st), and I like the first 2 X-Men movies too (haven't seen the 3rd yet), am I the only one who like them? lol. Then again, I have hardly ever read any X-Men cartoons (maybe like 1 magazine), but I did use to read and watch a lot of Spiderman as a kid. I tend to like movies even if they don't hold 100% true to their books/cartoons/games more than most ppl, I'm usually not so fanatic that "everything has to be 100% correct or the movie is crap". Sometimes I feel like people take that a bit too far..

Fantastic 4 was not bad, much better than my expectations (which were low).

As for game-based movies.. Resident Evil wasn't a top movie, but I still didn't find it that bad and the 1st movie is probably my favourite among all game-based movies. The 2nd movie was a slight disappointment though.
It's not that it's fanatic or not... but I mean, I can't find it logical. If you're having problems with your girlfriend 'cuz you wanna keep ur identity secret, why do you take out your mask on a public transport??? Just that XD
But I think they should keep the story as faithful as possible. I think this factor in Spiderman was important enough for not being considerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoniamalive
Yesh... X-Men could have been way better. I like Slider's viewpoint: It wasn't THAT bad XD Well-put! How about DareDevil??? The way they did his 'hearing' power is pretty sweet, but that didn't make up for the movie in general. I HAVE TO DISAGREE w/Luis as far as Resident Evil goes. I think that that series is definitely 1337! X P

...especially with Extinction set to release on my birthday ---> it's going down!
XD
Well... it could have been way worse, as Alone in the Dark was.

Slider I can understand how you felt when you saw Final Fantasy The Spirits Within XD

I just love the way Hydra summed up the stuff with a:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra
Video game based ones=Fail.

Comic ones=Not so fail.
Man, that's just 1337!! XD
Old 02-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #8

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

I liked The Spirits Within. XD

Most people looked at it to be based off of Final Fantasy, and were disappointed. XD

I just looked at it as a movie. And it was pretty average.

<3'd the music though.

Video games do fail a lot more than comic ones do.

Why else are the comic ones in theaters? =D
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #9

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar

The Transformer movie is gonna suck big time ~_~ too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
Now, contemplate the tuttifrutti powahs in my avatar!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!
Last.fm YouTube DeviantArt Last.FM TheShrine DinoButt
Avathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #10

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

I had high expectations of that movie. XD
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #11

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar

Man, seriously? Have you checked out the artwork and other designs for the actual transformers? Geez, they're going to look like formal aliens (with mutation-like design), NOT THAT THAT'S A REALLY BAD THING, you know, 'cause dang, Transformers are not just robots, they're something in between, but the design for this movie nonetheless, is imo butt-butt-unappealing. =o

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #12

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avathar
Man, seriously? Have you checked out the artwork and other designs for the actual transformers? Geez, they're going to look like formal aliens (with mutation-like design), NOT THAT THAT'S A REALLY BAD THING, you know, 'cause dang, Transformers are not just robots, they're something in between, but the design for this movie nonetheless, is imo butt-butt-unappealing. =o
Dang, that just turned off whatever love I had for the movie. ;_;

Thanks! =D
Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #13

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

xD Sorry dude, just my pre-opinion, man, we BOTH have yet to see the movie~

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #14

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

XD. Ha, s'okay. XD

I figured it would suck, but dang, I barely know the movie, so we'll see. =D
Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #15

Spec Highwind
The Portuguese Dragoon

Send a message via MSN to Spec Highwind Send a message via Yahoo to Spec Highwind

No, Luis, you're not the only one dissapointed with those movies. I never found a movie I liked made after a book.

"My hopes live on in those who remain"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
omg.
that quote is totally going in my sig.
Spec Highwind is offline   Reply With Quote