Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Final Fantasy Discussion > Final Fantasy VIII
Community Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy VIII Bring back the memories of the great adventure of a Man and his Gun.... Blade

Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #1

limit breaker
T-Rexuar Snack

Question Where have you gone, FFVIII?

Does anyone even care anymore?

Do people still hate this game?

Is the storyline REALLY that bad?
I personally think VIII is better than VII, and I'm in the minority with that, but I don't care.

Hey, there's always Zell.

FRICKIN HELL!!!!
limit breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #2

FFnut
Master Thief

Location: The space between dimensions... kinda like where Gilgamesh ends up in FF5.
Re: Where have you gone, FFVIII?

Now, you see, I always saw Zell as a negative aspect of this game.

No, it's a great game and everything, but it doesn't really stick out when you think "Final Fantasy" anymore. This game didn't have a great villain, or, honestly, a very good story. A lot of people dislike the Junction system, usually because they don't understand it. I didn't like Junctioning too much because it seems stupid that placing your most powerful spells to boost your stats means that by using these powerful spells your stats'll go down.

I wasn't joking when I said I didn't like Zell - most of the characters in this game were boring, without enough development to make me care about them (Squall especially - I wouldn't have cared if he died any more than I would have cared if a brick wall that served no purpose was knocked down). The whole orphanage thing was also very contrived and there was no reason for the writers to even have come up with that.

The music is decent, but once again, nothing really stands out like the Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre or One-Winged Angel did. The characters were all too serious and there wasn't enough light-hearted humor to go around (Funniest part in the whole game was the chicken-wuss dialogue near the beginning. That wasn't even really funny, either).

I guess the game didn't really have that "classic" feel to it the other games do. Ah well. There's still the other FF games to keep us interested.

"Only an egotistical bastard would sig himself." ~ FFnut

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Commander Of The Platinum Dragons

Official Ex-Member
FFnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #3

KeN4628
Vivi's Minder

Send a message via MSN to KeN4628

Well i personally like this game. As FFnut pointed out,

"it seems stupid that placing your most powerful spells to boost your stats means that by using these powerful spells your stats'll go down."

It would have been better if they used mp instead of magic as being used up.
My second point is that there was a big unbalancing between the characters and the GFs. The GFs were alot more stronger than the characters and THAT made me mad.

I also hated the weapon remodelling thing. It would have been better if weapons were for sale.

As from that, I liked the characters and story line (yes, I like Zell aswel :|). It wasn't such a bad game after all. :b
Old 06-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #4

Spiff
Kung-Fu Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Spiff Send a message via MSN to Spiff

To me it's better than FF9, FF10, FF5, and FFonline. I really think it's one of the better ones.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #5

LoKuS
Master Thief

Send a message via AIM to LoKuS

not a big fan.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #6

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeN4628
My second point is that there was a big unbalancing between the characters and the GFs. The GFs were alot more stronger than the characters and THAT made me mad.
Actually, I have to disagree. Maybe it's true in the very beginning of the game, but in the end, the single best (and by far most fun) battle tactic in FFVIII is Meltdown + Aura + Limit Breaks.
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #7

KeN4628
Vivi's Minder

Send a message via MSN to KeN4628

Well that's true. But that goes against my first point. Using magic makes you weaker (although it doesn't really matter to use your magic against Ultimecia).

Another thing I hated was the Junction Ability. I hated that you can only junction 3 abilities and Item was one of them. What I junction is Gf, draw and item (and Recover with who has Leviathan). That is another thing which I hate.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:51 AM   #8

ShadowHeart
Master Summoner

Send a message via MSN to ShadowHeart

Quote:
Well that's true. But that goes against my first point. Using magic makes you weaker (although it doesn't really matter to use your magic against Ultimecia).
Yeah, but I don't ever use attack magic (well except Meltdown, but I don't use that for the damage..) in FFVIII anyway.. it's utterly useless IMO, you're a lot better off just using limit breaks (and avoiding every single random battle except when gaining AP or leveling with the stat boost abilities, but that's besides the point )

Quote:
Another thing I hated was the Junction Ability. I hated that you can only junction 3 abilities and Item was one of them. What I junction is Gf, draw and item (and Recover with who has Leviathan). That is another thing which I hate.
Yeah, it's true it's annoying that you are so limited in the number of command abilities you can equip.. but it's not like I ever use any command ability besides the standard Magic, Draw, Item and GF, never even tried most of the special ones lol. And GFs are useless as I stated earlier, so my natural choice is Magic (for support and healing only), Draw and Item
Memories will fade
ShadowHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:43 PM   #9

limit breaker
T-Rexuar Snack

Ya know...I just thought the game was really fun. That's all.

FRICKIN HELL!!!!
limit breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #10

Wezzy
Chocobo Jockey

Send a message via MSN to Wezzy

the storyline was really really messed up and the characters were annoying or boring except Zell i like Zell but the only thing i like about the game was how easy it was for me. I went into school one day with a grin on my face because i got lionheart on disc one and my friends mouths dropped that was the most fun part
Old 07-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #11

Dr.Jackal(Get_Backers)
T-Rexuar Snack

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Jackal(Get_Backers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limit breaker
Ya know...I just thought the game was really fun. That's all.
Yeah I really like it heck, I found it in the corner of my room just
collecting dust so I just popped it in and started playing yesterday. Yeah on my "Favorite Final Fantasy Game"list it's number 1, I really liked the main character so he's number 1 on my"Favorite Main Final Fantasy Game Character" list lol, but you still can't beat Sephiroth as best villain.
1.Final Fantasy VIII
2.Final Fantasy VII
3.Final Fantasy X

1.Squall
2.Cloud
3.Tidus

Last edited by Dr.Jackal(Get_Backers); 07-27-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Dr.Jackal(Get_Backers) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #12

FFnut
Master Thief

Location: The space between dimensions... kinda like where Gilgamesh ends up in FF5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jackal(Get_Backers)
but you still can't beat Sephiroth as best villain.
Kefka. Enough said.

"Only an egotistical bastard would sig himself." ~ FFnut

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Commander Of The Platinum Dragons

Official Ex-Member
FFnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:08 PM   #13

DarkCloud
Cactuar Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFnut
Kefka. Enough said.
My opinion: Sephiroth is the best villain. Enough said about that.

But i do believe FFVIII's story line was good. i think the whole thing about FFVIII is that it was different, and thats what made it interesting compared to the others. I loved the music for this one. and yes i must admit the junction idea was a little awkward.
one other thing i didnt like was the way the enemies leveled up as the player did. i prefer FFVII's strategy.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #14

Lyde Lyde
Moogle Farmer

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyde Lyde

(Quoted by ffnut)The whole orphanage thing was also very contrived and there was no reason for the writers to even have come up with that.
How dare you, you obviously do not have a sense of character background, you would rather have everyone a mystery. FF8 is spectacular in my mind, the best character no doubt is Quistis. I loved the storyline, the characters, everything about it.

It's pronounced (lid-e) (la-day) get it right!
Lyde Lyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #15

Legendary Shadow
T-Rexuar Snack

My personal opinion on FFVIII...I would never really rate a Final Fantasy as horrid, but this one is at the bottom of my list of favorites. AS FFnut said, junctioning powerful spells to turn your character into a god and not being able to use them because your stats would go down is just...Pointless. I mean, the constant paranoia of using Ultima when it's junctioned to your strength is nerve breaking, so you make the wrong decision in battle and waste every elixer and hero medicene you have just to kill some random boss on disc 3-4. But then, you have the limit breaks...Kinda kills the point of magic (I'm not sure whether high strength would actually dictate how much Squall would do with his limit break. Why Squall? Cause he's the only one with a good limit break)
The remodeling weapons was stupid, plain and simple, I mean, if they KNOW how to make the weapons, why not get the material themselves and make it themselves so the could make more money instead of sending poor teenagers out to get butchered just for raw materials? Now I can unstand with rare stuff such as adamant. The characters where alright, I won't say anything other than that. All in all this wasn't so bad, but it was a let down.
Legendary Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote