Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Non-Gaming Related > The Entertainment Domain
Community Mark Forums Read

The Entertainment Domain Discuss everything from Television, Movies, Music, Comics, Anime, Cartoons, DVDs To Home Theatre Setups! And Anything Related to it.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #16

Gumdrop
Highwind Pilot

Re: Why come older people as well as women watch soup operas?

I'm a woman and I have no idea. Possibly becuase its like real life but a lot more dramatic and those who watch them wish they would have more going on in their lives which makes them appealing but its just a quick theory.
Gumdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #17

Seyluv
*Isu's Empress/Wife*

Yeah, I guess. I can understand dramas, but soup operas. I mean it just so fake and boring.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #18

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar

Quote:
Originally Posted by empresscrystal
Yeah, I guess. I can understand dramas, but soup operas. I mean it just so fake and boring.
It's not only with soap programs, it's the same thing with ordinary sitcoms: once you get into the people and the relationships, you love to watch the happenings between those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
Now, contemplate the tuttifrutti powahs in my avatar!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!
Last.fm YouTube DeviantArt Last.FM TheShrine DinoButt
Avathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #19

Seyluv
*Isu's Empress/Wife*

I guess so, but All my children and the rest just weird. This drama I used to watch called Wife was like a Soup Opera, but really just a serious show about love and stuff. Most soup opera I seen really aren't like that. If they were then maybe I would be hook too.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #20

~SapphireStar~
Vivi's Minder

Send a message via MSN to ~SapphireStar~

The women in my family watch soaps because they like to believe their lifes arent as full of crap as the characters are. They are a form of release and showing they should be happy that their lifes arent as messed up as the ones on the screen.

Plus its something for them to disguss at work the following day.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #21

dappa
Master Summoner

I only watch one soap 'eastenders'. When I was younger I used to watch a lot of american soaps when they were shown in the uk. Generally speaking I think american soaps are better than the english ones.
dappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #22

Kat
k i t t y .

Send a message via AIM to Kat Send a message via MSN to Kat

i can't stand soaps >.<
XD
theyare just soo fake its hilarious,i mean they could be at least a little more realistic
any one get my point?

The perfect Example of: Imperfection
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:15 AM   #23

Seyluv
*Isu's Empress/Wife*

Yeah, I know. It is very easy to see that a soup is fake. i mean the K-dramas I watch doesn't have all that fake stuff in it. They just show stuff that you can relate to. Like losing someone you love, or something like that. I mean, these dramas will make you cry aqnd think about how much it reminds youabout your life. As for soups, well some are like that but it is just so much gake drama into it. I mean like what is the point.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 AM   #24

Arkacia
Gunblade Expert

It is the fake that draws most people in. Take Dallas and Dynasty for example. They were powerhouse soaps of their day, and concentrated on the very rich and powerful. It was 'seeing the other side' that drew most viewers in, plus the costumes ect. That glimpse into the world of the rich and powerful provided ordinary people, who would never get the chance to live that sort of life, the chance to look in through the Carrington's and Ewing's bedroom windows. The fact most of it was fake, and viewers knew that, didn't matter much. The Molodivian wedding massacre in Dynasty....puuleasse

With soaps like Neighbours, Coronation Street and the American daytimers, it is again, escapism, and the chance to look through someone elses bedroom windows. They give viewers, who are all ages and both sexes I hate to inform you all, the chance to see that ordinary people have the same problems they do, and go through the same trials and tribulations of life. It is the ultimate chance to spy on the neighbours, and not end up in court for it .

It is also a window out into the world for those who spend a great deal of time stuck inside their house. Mothers raising young kids, the disabled, the unemployed ect can escape the boredom of their daily routine by tuning into these shows and forgetting their own problems for the time it takes to watch someone elses.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:59 AM   #25

Seyluv
*Isu's Empress/Wife*

I guess, but I don't get most soups. Some I might can understand, but ones like All my children and so on. I just don't get it.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #26

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkacia
With soaps like Neighbours, Coronation Street and the American daytimers, it is again, escapism, and the chance to look through someone elses bedroom windows.
Lol, not really for me. Like I said before, I watch Neighbours, as I look at it as another sitcom. And I also watch Eastenders and Coronation Street from time to time just for the saucy British accents. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
Now, contemplate the tuttifrutti powahs in my avatar!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!
Last.fm YouTube DeviantArt Last.FM TheShrine DinoButt
Avathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #27

dappa
Master Summoner

I like to watch these kind of programmes as they are fake and dont portray real life. The more outrageous the better I enjoy it.

One example was a programme years ago called 'Melrose Place' now its riddiculousness was what kept me hooked on it.
dappa is offline   Reply With Quote