Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Non-Gaming Related > The Entertainment Domain
Community Mark Forums Read

The Entertainment Domain Discuss everything from Television, Movies, Music, Comics, Anime, Cartoons, DVDs To Home Theatre Setups! And Anything Related to it.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #1

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar
Avathar's reviews

Here i'll post my movie-reviews, since i've been writing again lately. ^^

"Cars"

There’s one thing everyone can be sure of, after watching this new animation of the guys at Pixar: It looks and sounds terrific. The CGI animation-sceneries really make believe that the American countryside is really worth visiting.

A story about a rebellious red race-car. All the speeding vehicles make the REAL cars from The Fast and The Furious bite the dust; the wonderful songs are yet again from the mind of Randy Newman, and thanks to the amazing sound-effects, yes, you’ve really ended up in the middel of a racing circuit.
The voice-acting of Owen Wilson, Bonnie Hunt, and even so: Paul Newman (as a rustbucket of an excuse for a car, which holds an amazing secret), these voicings make the anthropomorph cars grow out to be characters of...well...flesh and blood.

And also, the director John Lasseter (Toy Story, A Bug’s Life) knows like no other how to put the cinematic aspect of cartoons in an animation like this. This way, the racing scenes are actually quite equal to the arena-races from Ben Hur, rather than something pathetic, like the ball game from Harry Potter.

And still, there are some obstacles on this race-track: the cliché-filled story and the conservative “in the old days, everything was more simple and better”- athmosphere.

But although it’s yet again quite a predictable CGI-animation, when you’re gonna watch this in the cinema, wait for the ending credits, ‘cause the best jokes are really saved up for the last. Quite good, and enjoyable.

Edit: 6/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
Now, contemplate the tuttifrutti powahs in my avatar!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!
Last.fm YouTube DeviantArt Last.FM TheShrine DinoButt

Last edited by Avathar; 07-17-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Avathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Zeromus_X
Master Summoner

Re: Avathar's reviews

Interesting. I hope you don't mind if I stick this thread for you. I look forward to seeing more reviews. Keep it up!
Zeromus_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #3

Kat
k i t t y .

Send a message via AIM to Kat Send a message via MSN to Kat

oooooo i have been wanting to see that it looks so funny is it good?

The perfect Example of: Imperfection
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #4

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
is it good?

Don't you notice that i just posted my review on it? And no, i refuse to make a review that exists only out of one sentence.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #5

Staircase
Shinra Owner

Send a message via AIM to Staircase

Very Nice! I cant wait for some more reviews. You should review Anime series too. Im always wondering what animes are worth my time or just garbage =).

But i think you should rate out of 10, Because alot of mediocre movies will get clumped together at 3. If youve ever seen X-play on G4, u know what i mean. Alot of ok games get clumped with pure crap at 3. Just a suggestion though
Old 07-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #6

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Yes, you're quite right. From now on i shall rate it /10 (but in this case, it's still 6/10, then )

And I usually write movie reviews, but i guess i can write ratings on manga and animé too. ^^

Quote:
Old 07-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #7

Kat
k i t t y .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avathar

Don't you notice that i just posted my review on it? And no, i refuse to make a review that exists only out of one sentence.

lol,no im blond that way

Old 07-16-2006, 01:31 AM   #8

Da Chink
Highwind Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Da Chink Send a message via Yahoo to Da Chink

Do you take requests on what to review?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #9

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Depends if i've read/seen it.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #10

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

"Superman Returns"

People of my age probably have seen the original Superman movie when we were still very young, and it was probably the first superhero we have heard of; and it’s the first superhero-movie I’ve ever seen. Those were the times were you were astonished by the amazement which is Superman, a classical form of a superhero.

But times do change. My personal interest in the Man of Steel decreased by the horrible sequels Superman III and IV, while Hollywood tried for decades to bring back new life in this franchise.
And eventually it’s Bryan (The Usual Suspects) Singer that left the X-Men party to take on this challenge.

Singer plays with the idea of the long abscence of Superman, to make him also reappear on the white screen, back from a mysterious journey. The newbie actor Brandon Routh gets into the blue-red spandex outfit, and starts walking into the footsteps of late Christopher Reeve. But also his love of his life, the journalist Lois Lane, hasn’t been doing nothing. She has a new friend, and..... a son. Which gives the effect of a mixture of love, emotion, humour, and spectacular events!

Bryan Singer never hid away that the very first Superman movie (from 1978) always was his big inspiration to start in the superhero theme (X-Men) in the first place, and his passion literally drips of the screen.
From the moment the visualy astonishing intro starts, I was staring at the new adventure of Superman with mouth-wide-open.
And with the classic tunes, brought by composer John Williams, the emotions burst out of both the screen and the speakers.

And this wave of emotions doesn’t stop there. ‘Cause of putting the tragic love-history between Superman and Lois in the center of attention, the whole movie gets a different, and unexpected dimension.
The villain of the moment, Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey’s having a wonderful time playing this role) is bringing the comical relief to the whole. His ridiculous plan to take over the world, plus his endless discussions with his sidekick Kitty are really to laugh out loud. Let’s hope Singer didn’t take the bad-guy part of the story not too serious.

The action sequences are quite random, they pop out once in a while, but yet again, quite amazing. If it’s the Man of Steel stopping a plane from crashing, or catching a bullet with his bare eye... each wonderful action we see him do, he still prooves he’s one of the most beloved superheroes of all time.

But in conclusion, a lot of viewers will kinda dislike the emotional vastness that holds this film, and even some might describe it as a supersonic chickflick, which it is, ‘cause it still holds the typical dull moments of a modern romantic movie. But above all, it’s definetly worth to go see Superman in action, once again!

8.5/10

Quote:
Old 07-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #11

Staircase
Shinra Owner

Send a message via AIM to Staircase

8.5/10! wow... i thought that movie looked horrid. I just cant get used to seeing a grown man wearing tight blue speedo, and red underwear, and being the strongest superhero.... Meybe ill take another look at it.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #12

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staircase
8.5/10! wow... i thought that movie looked horrid. I just cant get used to seeing a grown man wearing tight blue speedo, and red underwear, and being the strongest superhero.... Meybe ill take another look at it.
Heh, that's just the thing, most viewers will have a view on Superman for being too old school, or something like that. But indeed, you'ld have to look beyond the old fashion of the theme, and enjoy the classics.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #13

Kat
k i t t y .

i never did like super man....guys in spandex
bla :P

Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 PM   #14

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Send a message via MSN to Hydra Send a message via Yahoo to Hydra

lol, sounds nice. XD Review POTC2. O_O I saw it, but I want to know what another thinks of it.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #15

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Haven't seen that yet (not yet in the cinemas here), and I heard amazing good reviews on it. ^______^ So exciting, I already adored the first one.

Quote: