Forums | RPG | Guild

Go Back   Final Fantasy Network > Non-Gaming Related > The Entertainment Domain
Community Mark Forums Read

The Entertainment Domain Discuss everything from Television, Movies, Music, Comics, Anime, Cartoons, DVDs To Home Theatre Setups! And Anything Related to it.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #16

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar
Re: Avathar's reviews

"Romance and Cigarettes"

Nick (played by James ‘Tony Soprano’ Gandolfini) has anything but an easy life. Living together with a wife and three daughters doesn’t always run as smoothly. Next thing that happens, Kitty (played by the charming Susan Sarandon) finds a love letter Nick wrote to another woman. The poor labourer is ultimately having a secret relationship with the trash-talking Tula (Kate Winslet).

When I watched Romance and Cigarettes, I really found that it does contain resemblances with an in-between-version of The Sopranos. The stereotypicalness can be really bothering for probably most viewers, although it could have its charm. Not only the setting (New York Suburbia), but also the cast seemed very familiar (next to Tony Soprano, also Tony’s sister Aida Turturro and a guest-role of Steve Buscemi appear in this film).

But pretty soon I did realise that I am watching the bizarre dreamworld in this movie, which is John Turturro’s thing. The characteristic actor wrote this crazy musical (and you have to love musicals like with that factor, remember recent musicals like Moulin Rouge! and Southpark The Movie) on the set of the movie Barton Fink, and that’s noticeable:

Bright, colourful characters? Yep! Bizarre situations? Present! Odd humour? Check! And above that, the spicey roles in this movie are even prepared to burst out into great songs! (songs like Delilah, by Tom Jones, and It’s a Man’s World by James Brown are part of Romance and Cigarettes’ themeplay)
Or even better, coming out of nowhere, they might start of with a dance (Christopher Walken steals the show quite often in this film as the uncle who’s consumed by the power of love).

Most people that’ll watch this, and are in the right athmosphere of a feel-good movie, will probably feel like moving to the rythm, and humming a song or two. Although there is a melodramatic ending to this festivity, mood swings are part of ordinary life, and a part of this swinging flick.

7/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
Now, contemplate the tuttifrutti powahs in my avatar!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!
Last.fm YouTube DeviantArt Last.FM TheShrine DinoButt
Avathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #17

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Send a message via AIM to Avathar Send a message via MSN to Avathar Send a message via Yahoo to Avathar Send a message via Skype™ to Avathar

- Thom Yorke
"The Eraser"

9/10

I usually dislike the hitparade and every single bit that’s connected to it, such as questions like “What’s your favourite band of all time?” Usually I’ve found that rubbish. But if I had to make an answer to that, at the moment my answer to that question would be: Radiohead.

BUT, then I’ld mean “half” of Radiohead. The glorious, colourful, melodic, rocking, intriguing half. The other (worse) half would be the overload-of-experimental, cold electronic, monotone part.

The neurotic bleeps and other noises like the monotone pianobeats, which Thom Yorke starts with in his first solo-album “The Eraser”, these sounds make me think of the worse. But, with the effort, after one time listening to the whole album, that same expectation seems to be clarified. These nine pieces of music (I couldn’t call it “songs” in the true context) are an advancement on the earlier experimental Radiohead, the band of “Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box”, “Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors” and “Hunting Bears.
Call me conservative or whatever, but honestly, this isn’t what I expected of his first solo-album, at first.

Thom York solo (he himself hates the term, but that’s what it’s all about) is simply saying Radiohead without the group, and with (more) electronics. Literally all of the tracks are ruled by the rattling of drumcomputers, and other percussions, brought forth out of machines.
And even so, sometimes he adds (like in “The Clock”) some verbal percussion to it as well.

But there are definetly highlights for sure with this record. “Analyse” is a very astonishing track, and very innovating. “Black Swan” is an example of a good mix of a nice groove, with the continuing of growing advancement throughout the three following songs.
“Cymbal Rush” is just like a fairy tale. So melodic, and the beauty lies within his themes, as usual: typical Thom would be about the environment (the amazing “It Rained All Night”), the political situations (“Atoms For Peace”), and suspicious death cases (“Harrowdown Hill” was the place where the body was found of David Kelly, but he committed suicide in his house)
, and also his remarkable love life:

‘When you walk in the room I start to melt, I start to follow you around like a dog. I’m a dog , I’m a dog, I’m your lapdog.’

Most critics from London studios have said that this album is very danceable. Danceable? If your name is Thom Yorke, and you dance like a motorized disturbed wallflower, then yes.

But why 9/10, you might wonder? Because “The Eraser” is a music album that’s on the grow. The first impression for me was just as a collector of outtakes, and demos of forgotten Radiohead-would-be-songs.
But after giving the effort, I simply adore this album, it’s like Thom Yorke finally shows what he’s really all about, and it’s prooven to be something beautiful.
I can already consider this record as one of the best of this year. I think I’ve listened to it toroughly about 15, 16 times, and I’m pretty surprised that at first I disliked most of the percussion work, and almost described it as annoying, BUT, a person can change.

One of the (without a doubt) most talented popmusicians of his generation has manufactured a peculiar, personal, adventurous album, which is certainly good enough for me to enjoy it to the max.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #18

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

"Miami Vice"

First off, I'ld have to say: This new Miami Vice movie is after my feeling the most daring action-thriller you could see in the cinema this year.

Fans of the 'old school' tv-series be warned: Ricardo Tubbs and Sonny Crockett are no more. So don't expect the beloved eighties trademarks, such as no more mocassins, no pastel-colours, and no Elvis the crocodile pet.
Now it's time for Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell to play their roles (very fitting roles, even though these two aren't exactly my favourite actors). But in this film, they play both overdone tv-icons and ultra-brutal undercover-agents; who have lost significance of the border between show and existence, and between servant of the law and involver of crime.

Their violent job and scarse private life are entangled hopelessly, and that's what causing the problems when loose-edged Farrell begins a relationship with the mistress of a glotious drugbaron.
Bullets are flying around, the high-speed chases (on land, on water, and in the sky) are looking seriously life-threatening, and the gun-fights are breathtaking.

But still, I find this a long expected movie adaptation by the former co-producer of the original series, Michael Mann ('Heat', 'Collateral'), and he succeeds in bringing forth anything but a corny blockbuster piece.
There's obviously aimed for an adult audience, 'cause there's nowhere in this movie a moronic one-liner, or a pseudo-acting hiphopper to be found. And besides the cold hard impressiveness of the already mentioned parts, the viewers are also being treated with sensual scenes (co-actrices Gong Li and Naomi Harris are astonishly great looking than ever).

And above all, Michael Mann's working method tends to go to a level of experimental cinematics than to an average Hollywood action-flick. The bold mix of old-fashion AND digital camera-footage sometimes has a disgruntled effect (viewers could become sea-sick by just watching the long boatride sequence).
The contempary use of dialogues makes the film containing an almost abstract impression. The immer fitting musical score is saying more than words.

The true lovers of a nostalgic trip to the eighties or people that expect another lame 'Bad Boys'-look alike: they'll have to set aside their preferences.
The people that are in for an ultimate anti-blockbuster, they know which movie to pick: Miami Vice.

8/10

Quote:
Old 09-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #19

Kat
k i t t y .

Send a message via AIM to Kat Send a message via MSN to Kat

hmm sounds interesting......i wanna see it now ^.^

The perfect Example of: Imperfection
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #20

Phoenix Flame
Go Umbarbar do my bidding

Send a message via MSN to Phoenix Flame

Ava...how about a videogame RPG series???

I always wanted to know what .Hack was about. If not, that's cool.
Phoenix Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #21

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

Well, I'm not into games lately (as in like, months), so I only write music and movie reviews. =o

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #22

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Send a message via MSN to Hydra Send a message via Yahoo to Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avathar
Well, I'm not into games lately (as in like, months), so I only write music and movie reviews. =o
Have you seen "The Number 23" or "The Abandoned" yet?

:O
Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #23

Avathar
"GET YOUR NAILS DONE!!"

It's Europe here, baby. The Number 23 LOOKS MIGHTY GREAT, but not yet here in the cinemas for quite a while~

Next time, but not now, I'll make a rather fine music review (including actual music, /me uploads <3).

Quote:
Old 02-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #24

Hydra
3, 2, 1, Let's Jam

Send a message via MSN to Hydra Send a message via Yahoo to Hydra

Ooh, that's right, I "almost" forgot.

I heard it was great too, but I need to see it. =(