Who has finished FF1?

The PS1 version on Normal mode is basically a direct copy of the NES original (with a few added features, but nothing that made the game less difficult), and the NES original was really difficult. The most challenging FF game I've ever played, and probably will ever play (they don't seem to be getting any more difficult lately). Most remakes have been made much much easier than the original versions (Dawn of Souls for example), and the real question is why they made them easier. Because the games would be too difficult for the general public otherwise?
 
mmmmmmmm maybe they thought thts why the earlier games wer less popular due to difficulty or maybe the enix side wanted to tone the difficulty down becoz of there games being easy ? i honestly have no clue just guesses :D
 
I completed ff1 a couple of years ago on normal the first time and easy the second time to see what the difference between the two difficulty settings. The only difference I've noticed is the way your characters seem to get more spells for the whitemages and black mages other than that the enemies fight the same and the final dungeon is still as annoying as when I play it on normal of course its easier on the final dungeon with tonnes of spells for your mages.
 
The differences are that you level up faster on Easy, the max level is raised from 50 to 99, and you can cast much more spells before needing to rest (in Normal you get max 9 casts of any spell before needing to rest, on Easy you go way higher than that). The spells thing helps A LOT. Means you can use the most powerful Cure spells a lot more, etc. Faster leveling helps too, on Easy you can go 40+ without too much problems, on Normal I'm not sure I'd bother going beyond 30-35 (would take too much time).
 
Probably to make it acceptable for the new generation, unaccusomed to things like 'leveling' and 'money farming'. :p But seriously, the newer 'generation' RPGers are probably used to relatively simple RPGs in the difficulty department.

And for a short summary of the changes in the GBA version:

-MP System. Instead of using a certain maximum number of spells a spell level, you use MP like the later games.
-Max Level 99.
-Easier time leveling up (not including the Provoka Peninsula, of course.
-Added in extra items to replace crappy items in chests, like Phoenix Downs, Ethers, Elixirs, and so on.
-Items are also much less expensive (yes, even that one set of armor in the Elf Village).
-Save anywhere. Yep, even in dungeons.
-B Button dash. Can also configure it to always be active.
-Bonus dungeons and broken equipment/items.
-You have the option of forgetting a spell, in the original, your spell selections were permanent.
-Warp pad in the Temple of Chaos. Travelling two-thousand years into the past was never so easy!
-Although enemy stats are amped up to counter this (for example, Chaos has 20,000 HP, that should be a good example), this doesn't necessarily make them harder. It just doesn't make them jokes.

That's about it...but at least, the translation is nice, although Origins' translations were fine as they were (well, except the funky names for FFII).

Final Fantasy II also was tweaked, but not to the extreme as FFI. For example, the famous attack/cancel bug was taken out, but skills/weapons level up tolerably enough so that it isn't really necessary to use it. They also took out the second Blood Sword in the basement of Fynn Castle to make the final boss not so easy.
 
Another annoying feature for this final fantasy was being forced into battles when you stood in certain areas (e.g in front of chests).

As for the temple of chaos past i hated those green dragons, and with no save points that dungeon did drag on.

The challenge was good though.

They probably toned down the gba version to accomodate lazy gamers who would be put off by the difficulty.

Does anyone know if the black and white gameboy version is the same as the nes version?
 
I have no idea i never even played a nes before but i did beat the game though easy as pie.
 
Sorry Dappa...I don't know either. I'm playing the origins (ps1) version but also bought the DoS version for GBA. I don't plan on beating FF1 again for quite some time after I complete origins though. I'll finish through V before coming back to it - and that's assuming I don't have an itch to play a challenge for a game or something. X D
 
The only real trouble i had playing FFI was the four caves after you beat the four fiends.
 
Alot of the ealier final fantasies had basic graphics but well for me i found a feeling of warmth inside me when i completed them and saw their endings, I particularly liked the music on the ending of this game very much.

It was nice to hear that same music revamped on final fantasy 12
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top