Why come older people as well as women watch soup operas?

I only watch one soap 'eastenders'. When I was younger I used to watch a lot of american soaps when they were shown in the uk. Generally speaking I think american soaps are better than the english ones.
 
Yeah, I know. It is very easy to see that a soup is fake. i mean the K-dramas I watch doesn't have all that fake stuff in it. They just show stuff that you can relate to. Like losing someone you love, or something like that. I mean, these dramas will make you cry aqnd think about how much it reminds youabout your life. As for soups, well some are like that but it is just so much gake drama into it. I mean like what is the point.
 
It is the fake that draws most people in. Take Dallas and Dynasty for example. They were powerhouse soaps of their day, and concentrated on the very rich and powerful. It was 'seeing the other side' that drew most viewers in, plus the costumes ect. That glimpse into the world of the rich and powerful provided ordinary people, who would never get the chance to live that sort of life, the chance to look in through the Carrington's and Ewing's bedroom windows. The fact most of it was fake, and viewers knew that, didn't matter much. The Molodivian wedding massacre in Dynasty....puuleasse

With soaps like Neighbours, Coronation Street and the American daytimers, it is again, escapism, and the chance to look through someone elses bedroom windows. They give viewers, who are all ages and both sexes I hate to inform you all, the chance to see that ordinary people have the same problems they do, and go through the same trials and tribulations of life. It is the ultimate chance to spy on the neighbours, and not end up in court for it :p.

It is also a window out into the world for those who spend a great deal of time stuck inside their house. Mothers raising young kids, the disabled, the unemployed ect can escape the boredom of their daily routine by tuning into these shows and forgetting their own problems for the time it takes to watch someone elses.
 
I guess, but I don't get most soups. Some I might can understand, but ones like All my children and so on. I just don't get it.
 
Arkacia said:
With soaps like Neighbours, Coronation Street and the American daytimers, it is again, escapism, and the chance to look through someone elses bedroom windows.

Lol, not really for me. Like I said before, I watch Neighbours, as I look at it as another sitcom. And I also watch Eastenders and Coronation Street from time to time just for the saucy British accents. =D
 
I like to watch these kind of programmes as they are fake and dont portray real life. The more outrageous the better I enjoy it.

One example was a programme years ago called 'Melrose Place' now its riddiculousness was what kept me hooked on it.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top