cards

which is better the ff8 or ff9 version of cards?

  • final fantasy viii's was way cooler!

    Votes: 24 58.5%
  • I would have to go for ffix

    Votes: 17 41.5%

  • Total voters
    41
Do you mean like where a inferior card can beat a superior card because of "luck" stats? I hated that in 11....so annoying.
 
Yes, I mean the randomness when 2 cards in FFIX go into a "card battle". A better card is a better card, end of story :)
 
I don't recall a luck stat. There were only 3 #s (1 in front, the last two) and 1 letter (type, second slot). ARe you sure there was one? I've had a lot of battles, and my strategies almost never lose me a game. I've lost about 1 for every 20 I play.
 
There is no luck stat. But when 2 cards go into a card battle, they each get a number (I guess somehow based on their attack power), and then their numbers are seemingly randomly decreased and any card can win over any other card if you are lucky (or heck, unlucky).

And it's not just that a worse card can win over a better one in that way.. but in the beginning of the game when every card you and your opponent have has the stats "00P0" or "00M0", it leads to extremely random games where it can go any possible way. That just doesn't encourage me to want to keep playing. Not to mention the fact that each individual card has a random number of arrows facing random directions...

.. yeah, way too much randomness. Maybe it gets better if you have really good cards with high stats, but I can't even stand thinking about playing another Tetra Master game :/
 
Last edited:
Ok ya, there is no luck stat, but I couldn't think of any way else to describe it...

And ya, it should just be that a superior cad wins, all the time, even though its nice for new players, it gets verry annoying when you have a 5-6 card get beaten by a 1-0 card (yes, I've seen it happen). Really pisses me off, specialy when your fighting a computer and you have to go through 4 or 5 games to get that card back...
 
just how exactly is damage determined in 9's card game? does it have to do with the hexidecimal system? :confused: very confused... :confused:

add on: i think he means 8, just forgot the extra "I" ;)
 
In FFIX each card says something like "0P00".

The first character is the card's attacking power in hexadecimal. Well actually, a 0 means the card has attack power "0F" in hexadecimal which translates to 15 in decimal, a 1 means the card has attack power "1F" in hexadecimal which translates to 31 in decimal, and so on, up to F (F is 15).

The second character is the card's attack type, P (physical), M (magical), X or A. I'm not sure what X or A means, someone else will have to explain that :)

The third character is the card's physical defense, denoted in the same way as attack power.

The forth character is the card's magical defense, denoted in the same way as attack power.
 
X means that they attack the opponent's weakest value with their highest.
A means assault, using their attack to attack the enemy's weakest defense value.
 
i dunno y but i find the card game in ffix easier. i dont play it much though.
:)
 
the card system of ff8 was better than 9's mainly due to the fact that the rewards you got for rare cards. I also liked the difficulty of the cards of certain areas though I hated the random rule.

What I used to do was talk to the guy in balamb docks and challenge him to a game of cards. This guy would say to you "lets play with the rules from my home town" but he doesn't specify what his town is.

accept his challenge and when you start the card game all the rules you've collected during the game are gone, which is quite handy if you are going on a rare cards quest

This guy isn't always there but I have only seen him show up on disk 3
 
i think FF8's was easier to understand, except for the plus rule :confused:
FF9's card game was confusing and i could never tell if i would beat a card with my own.
FF8's was simple with a clear number, higher than it, you beat it, lower than it, you lose,
SIMPLE
PS: I HATED the elemental rule and the plus/same rules too. AND RANDOM RULE.
And even more annoying was that once you played with a annoying rule, you were stuck with it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
 
I like ff9 version more, I rule that card game. I had almost all the cards and I beat everyone on there. FF8 cards kinda suck to me. I didn't do that well against most people in a card match and my cards were not that cool as FF9.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top