cards

which is better the ff8 or ff9 version of cards?

  • final fantasy viii's was way cooler!

    Votes: 24 58.5%
  • I would have to go for ffix

    Votes: 17 41.5%

  • Total voters
    41

Gumdrop

Paladin
Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2004
Messages
697
Age
40
Location
England
RPG Name
Malaya
Which do you think is better the ff8 version or ff9 version of cards? I think the ff9 version is better, it does not have the annoying rules like elemental! I kind of like the concept and it does make it harder haveing those random rules in different regions, but I found a few of them realy annoying! what do you all think??
 
I prefer FF8's card game, because the random rules for each region kept me guessing on a strategy, and it was a lot tougher than FF9's, which was really easy after about 5-10 games.
 
I really didn't like the card game in FF9.. I only played it when I had to (ie, that tournament you have to do). FF8's card game though, I played a lot to get as many special cards as I could. It was fun :)
 
For me, FFVIII's game was easier to understand when it came to how cards beat each other. I never did understand how IX's system worked.
 
Yeah, FF9's card game was more complicated, but the numbers all meant something on the cards. I learnt how everything worked, but the most annoying thing about FF9's game is that there as a randomness element to it, which meant the better card didn't always win, and that could often lead to a secure win turning into a heavy defeat because something went against what I'd have expected.

FF8's game is much easier to understand and overall a lot more fun to play.
 
Hi, peeps I'm new here, but used to post alot back int he day!!!The numbers on the cards in IX were done in hexi-decimal, a dis-used mathematical technique, like C3PO. WHY??!?!?! No-one could really understand it anyway!!!! Much prefer VIII card game spent 8 hours straight doing that !!!!!
 
mastering the game in 8 took longer with the complicated rules and 'that ' rule, i mean the random rule from cetra. but triple triad kicks the socks off the game in ff9
 
Gunslinger said:
Hi, peeps I'm new here, but used to post alot back int he day!!!The numbers on the cards in IX were done in hexi-decimal, a dis-used mathematical technique, like C3PO. WHY??!?!?! No-one could really understand it anyway!!!! Much prefer VIII card game spent 8 hours straight doing that !!!!!

Hex isn't disused. Most webpage color programming is done in a six-digit hexidecimal system to build a RGB (the first two digits are red, the second pair is green, and the third double represents blue) so 000000 is black and FFFF00 is yellow, for example.

Also notice the following oddity: the very first Final Fantasy was built on an 8-bit system (NES). An 8-bit hexidecimal system only has two digits. F is the highest a hex digit can go before going back to 0 (kind of like 9 in our regular system, one more and the digit becomes zero and we add a 1 in the next digit over). So the maximum 8-bit hexidecimal value is, oddly enough, FF. Strange, isn't it?
 
I like the card game better in 9, i also like 9 better then 8. :)
 
Card game is better in ff8.

Final Fantasy 8 card game is more original and very competitive. I was once beat by an old lady where all the places were (forgot by now).
 
I never understood ff8's rules. However 9's were very easy and I liked playing it. I really liked the link thing in it but hated the block things in the middle of the cardfield.
 
I prefered the card game in FF9 because it was more fun than the game in FF8. While the elemental part of the FF8 game made it more interesting to me (I liked that part of it), the constant rule changes from region to region were just plain annoying.
 
The constant rule changing is easy to get by if you know what you're doing. What you do is save every time before entering a town for the first time since you played cards in a different area.. then play a game and keep soft resetting until one of the rules you don't like are removed. In my last game, I managed to remove irritating rules such as Random without much work really.
 
I prefer FFVIII's game, as said already, its much more competitive and to me just fun! its an easier concept as well (i thought) So VIII has my vote. (I liked the card gameplay music in FFVIII much better as well)
 
My vote is for Final Fantasy VIII card game (Triple Triad) because it is easier and not that hard for me.
 
i liked ff9's...even though im not good at any of them! :p i thought ff8s were harder...but the rewards are well worth it! i just thought ff9s was better because i could win at it...oh, and even though it was a long time ago that was posted, that "hexidecimal system" looked interesting...even though i hate math with a vengeance :D
 
i recon that the ff8 is better, it's easier to plan strategies and stuff
 
The god part about FFIX's was that it seemed more straightforward to me. It took me a while to figure out the attributes of the cards, though.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top