Chapter 3: In The Clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.
((Alright then, FFnut's Post For Dummies:

There are three... I dunno, shaved hamster essences or something. Their names are Masa, Mune, and Doreen. Masa and Mune were combined to form a legendary sword called the Masamune. Original, huh? The Masamune is Glenn's sword. Their big sister, Doreen, came to Palis. The name Doreen in Japanese is pronounced the same as "Dream", so Doreen has the ability to enter dreams. Magus was knocked out from Titania's spell, and Glenn was watching him. Phantasm also has the ability to enter dreams, according to Titania's post.

Magus was floating in the darkness of his dreams, where Phantasm was selectively eliminating some of his memories so that he'd forget exactly what his past was. Doreen showed up, looked at his real memories, and tried to help him remember. Eventually a discrepancy in his memories made him realize that what he was remembering was wrong. In a last ditch attempt to keep Magus from breaking away, Phantasm recreated Janus, a version of Magus... well, due to the time problems, let's just say ten years younger in chronological age. Magus and Janus converse for a bit, with Doreen trying to help him reassert himself. Basically, Phantasm was giving him an identity crisis. Magus manages to remember what made Janus into Magus, as they were both very different in many aspects, and he breaks free of Phantasm's spell.

After Magus breaks free, Doreen starts talking to Masa and Mune. Eventually she joins with the sword - see the post for the description of what it looks like now - and the sword is renamed the Mastermune.

And for future reference, Masa, Mune, and Doreen do NOT use quotation marks - Masa uses bold text, Mune uses underline, and Doreen uses parentheses.

Wow, this explanation is almost as long as the original post...))
 
*************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Chimera Woods

Malice sat down next to Titania's sleeping form. "Hey." He rubbed her shoulder slowly and stared into the fire. After a few minutes, he realized something was wrong. "Titania? You alright?" He shook her vigorously. "Are you okay? Wake up!" He shook her even harder, then looked up helplessly at the stars. "Please... get up..."

*************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Chimera Woods

Glenn dove through the woods with certainty, Magus following him.

"You're sure this is the right way?"

"Wouldst the Mastermune's empathies lie?"

"I guess not..."

They emerged into the clearing where Malice was over Titania's body. He looked up and drew his daggers.

Don't hurt him! He's Magus!

Malice blinked. "Wha...?"

Oh boy... what happened to her?

"Where are those voices coming from?"

"We'll tell you later. What's wrong with Titania?" asked Magus.

Malice just glared at him. "How do you know her name, Boiz? Been spying on me?"

"Doreen, wanna wake him up?"

(Can't. He has to be sleeping for that to work.)

It's alright, me and Mune can do it!

Malice was knocked backwards in pain. "GAH!"

Mune, I meant wake him up!

I thought you meant put him to sleep!

"Wilt thou silence thyselves and snap him out of his illusions?"

Fine. Mune, let's do it!

The blades of the Mastermune began to glow and suddenly Boiz became Magus. Malice shook his head. "What the..."

(Oh no. This is bad.)

Magus rolled his eyes. "Perfect. What's bad?"

(The girl. She's not just sleeping. She's in some kind of memory-coma. I can't fix this. You guys have to.)

"What do we do?"

(Me, Masa, and Mune can teleport you all in. You have to find her amongst her vanishing memories and... I don't know, give them back to her.)

"How?"

(Search me. Getting to her is the first thing. Once you're there you can figure out what you need to do.)

Alright, sis! We're ready!

(MASTERMUNE!)

The blades began to glow brightly. Soon everything grew dark around the three men. The next thing they could see was the mixed-up memories in Titania's mind.

((The Mastermune is still with them, so Masa, Mune, and Doreen can offer their advice should it be needed.))
 
They looked about them, and saw that they had entered the infinite. No matter which way they turned, nothing made sense and nothing ever ended. In every direction there were buildings, fields, winters, summers, all linked to each other like spiders’ webs, and yet all fading.

“Where are we?” Glenn asked, and his voice bounced off the non-existent walls.

Malice turned and looked in every direction “I don’t know…it looks like Madain Sari- but look, there’s Gracia…”

No sooner had he spoken, did the ground beneath them begin to shift and groan. Letting out a creaking cry, the walls of the ancient city crumbled and collapsed into rubble, sending up a cloud of smoky dust. Unmoved by the event, Magus moved toward the ruins and lifted some rock; no sooner had he touched it did it disintegrate and turn his fingers a muddy chalk.

“It looks like the same thing is happening to her. Only Doreen wasn’t here…”

“What do you mean?” Malice asked.

Magus did not answer “Come, we’ll have to find her first.”

Without another word, the mage turned and made his way down a random passage; the others followed. With each step, the smoothened ground sloped downward, and the air turned darker. They seemed to be walking on a road –one which was now covered in a thin layer of water. To the left were the ghostly ruined buildings of an ancient city and to the right were dismal versions of the fields and towns that they themselves remembered. As they came close to the edge of a raised street, they saw a city square with an old, stone fountain. Before they could explore further, there was an ear-piercing screech and suddenly the scene turned to an empty darkness.

Glenn turned to comment to his friend, when suddenly he looked alarmed “Malice!” he exclaimed.

“I know…we’ve got to look faster…” the Theiran replied.

“Indeed we do! Thy image fades!”

Confused, Malice looked at his hands; they were fading, and seemed almost ghost-like.

Magus shook his head “If this is happening to you, it will happen to us all. Come, let us hurry before she destroys us, too.”

“Destroys?”

“Us being here makes us part of her memory. Once she forgets us, we will disappear.” He turned and began to walk, but Malice stopped him.

“Wait!” he exclaimed, “We cannot keep on wandering aimlessly. There is not enough time! Besides, I think I can make a guess at where she is…”

“Even if you know, how will we find it?” Magus questioned, sceptically.

With a victorious smirk, Malice turned and pointed upward in the distance “The moon will guide us.”

Taking the lead, he made his way across the road, and began to climb up a dark hill.

“Hurry, we haven’t much time!” he cried back, and the others followed him.

At the top of the hill stood a house that would have been cheerful were it not for the darkness. With some effort, Malice climbed over the gate, which would not open, and pushed his way in through the door. Sure enough, on the opposite side of the room was another exit- one which led to a flight of redstone stairs.

The others followed him and soon they found themselves making their way down the most inconvenient set of stairs ever constructed. Winding back and forth, they followed the path until once more the ground began to shake. Picking up their speed, they hurried downward, reaching the shore of an ocean only to find that the motion was not caused by the destruction of the staircase; it was the footsteps of what stood behind them.

Letting out a growl, which made them turn with dread, Zera Shaal appeared, his prescence veiled in a heavy fog. With him came the memories of the storm. The sky bleeding crimson and the sea crashing violently, the monster seemed to them to be much larger than they had remembered.

“Let’s finish this quickly!” Malice yelled to the others, as he drew his daggers with his faded hands.

Its yellow eyes staring at its prey, the sleeper demon growled once more and prepared for battle.
 
*****************************************************************
Titania's Mind, The Last Seventeen Years, Memoria

Glenn readied his double-bladed sword while Magus drew his scythe. A split second later all three of them were flat on their backs.

The sleeper howled its unearthly howl an began to charge again.

Reach for a dream, thought Magus. Reach for a dream of the gods. Grasp a memory of the cosmos and use it.

(Damn! What is this thing?)

"It's Zera-Shaal, a sleeper demon," said Magus. "You would've had fun playing with him, but Titania already killed it. This is just her memory of it."

(No, it's not that. It's the aura I'm getting from it. It's almost like it's not a real memory.)

The demon charged and knocked them all back. It screamed in agony as Glenn plunged one of the Mastermune's blades into its side.

A quick claw swipe later and Glenn was on the semi-ground next to Malice.

Malice struggled to stand up. "This... it's pretty strong for a memory..." His dagger fell through his fading hand. He looked at it, surprised. "Huh...?"

"The longer we stay here, the more we fade. We can't..." Another slam and Magus was smashed up on a wall covered with paintings of mythical creatures. Glenn soon joined him.

Malice glanced at the Eidolon Wall. How do I know what that's called? Enraged, he jumped on the sleeper and began to beat on its back with his gauntlets.

The sleeper tried to reach around, but couldn't. Soon its arm began to extend, a shadow reaching from the sleeper's claw.

C'mon, Glenn! Magus! Get up!

Glenn managed to prop himself up with the weapon. He looked at Magus, who was on the floor. "Art thou... wilt thou accompany myself into battle?"

Magus sat up groggily, shaking his head. "Look, we'd need Titania's help to take this thing out. There isn't much we can..." His fingers found a flute on the floor by the wall. He looked up, noticing the painting of the flaming bird glowing. This is it!

Magus hurled the tiny instrument at the huge beast. The spot where the flute touched it suddenly erupted in shadow. The flute soon faded, but the darkness continued to engulf the demon.

(That's the thing that was in your mind, Magus! That shadowy thing!)

Its disguise removed, the giant shadow began to try a new tactic. Shards of memories began to float around it. Soon the shadow had taken on the form of their old friend.

He flexed his muscles and drew his sword. The black armor he wore began to give off a deadly glow. "Never thought I'd see you guys on the other side of the battlefield," he said with a smirk.

Malice stepped back, and Magus dropped his scythe. "Nichi," they both whispered at the same time.

Glenn, however, gripped the Mastermune tightly. "Thou'rt nothing but a shadow of a memory. If they refuseth to harm thee, I wilt duel thee myself."
 
Magus and Malice watched from behind as Nichi’s shadowy figure rose tall before Glenn. With each step closer he seemed to grow; his yellow eyes flickered with the electricity of the storm. Raising the legendary sword that had doomed him, Nichi outstretched his chain-covered hand and signalled for his opponent to come. Feet apart and firmly on the ground, Glenn bent his knees and clenched the handle of The Mastermune. Seeing he was ready, the malevolent Nichi smiled; with a strike of violent lightning, it began.

Running quickly at his opponent, sword drawn and temper high, Glenn brought up his weapon. Using the weight to his advantage, he pushed it downward at Nichi- but the villain had anticipated the move and already brought up his own sword to catch the blow. With little effort, he twisted his blade and let Glenn’s slide unwillingly off. His opponent’s defense down, Nichi kicked him hard in the stomach; his boots were chain and metal. Hit by the heavy force, the knight bent over and nearly dropped his weapon. Swallowing hard, he brought up his gaze to plan his next attack; it was too late. As if it were a blade itself, Nichi rammed the golden hilt of his sword into the side of Glenn’s head. The Knight screamed and tried once more to fight, but it was in vain. Raising his sword high above his head, Nichi smiled at his helpless prey.

“You should have listened to the others.”

He plunged the sword into Glenn’s back.

*​

The windows crashed and shattered, standing no chance against the violent winds. Barefoot, Titania ran through the home, her feet bleeding from the broken glass. Throwing open doors, she screamed for her parents, only to find every room empty and dark.

"Papa are you in here!?" She pushed open the entrance of his workshop, only to find his lifeless form on the now scarlet floor.

In shock, she covered her eyes stinging eyes. Turning and running in the other direction, she moved by compulsion to the backdoor which lay open. The lightning striking hard in the stormy sky, she hurried down the stone stairs; they crumbled behind her.

*​

“You bastard!” Magus screamed at his old comrade as he watched him twist his blade further into the dead man’s back.

“He deserved it.” Nichi answered, coldly “He shouldn’t be here. None of you should.”

“Change your form, monster!” Malice demanded “You are not of her making, and you are not Nichi! Have you no dignity? Show yourself!”

Phantasm simply grinned “Her? Do you mean that thing up there?” He pointed to the stairs.

No sooner did they look did she disappear, only to be swept onto the shore before them, confused and in pain.

“Tania! Tania!” Nichi was gone and now a child was crying “Do you see these men? They’re the ones who’re doing this! They’ve killed your parents!”

The mage looked at the little boy and then at the others. She turned to the child, but as if to answer her question she suddenly found two knives in her hands. She looked at them, but did not move; her heart beat quickly and her mind ran. As it did, the storm grew more intense, and through it, Magus and Malice could feel her emotions.

“Please Tania, they’re going to kill me too!”

She shook her head, blankly “Run then! These men would hurt you. I don’t know why, but they seem-”

“You will not listen to me? Have you no idea who I am.” Suddenly the child’s voice echoed in a godly manner, and Titania was struck with flame. She screamed and when she looked up again it was the figure of a bird that stood before her.

“Kill them in my name!”

Catching her breath after the pain, she turned to the others; the air filled with hesitation and fear.

“That one first.” Fire swirled around the fading Malice as if to direct her.

She swallowed and did not move. Turning her gaze back to Phoenix, pleadingly, she cried “What harm has he done you? This man seems to be good natured!”

She was hit once more with flame “Do as I say and do not question my words!”

Screaming, she turned to look at Malice who already seemed ready to fight.

*​

“Tania! Tania!” Nichi was gone and now a child was crying “Do you see these men? They’re the ones who’re doing this! They’ve killed your parents!”

Magus and Malice looked at each other, knowing what was about to happen.

“How long can you hold her off for?” Magus asked.

“With both of us alive? Not very long…”

“Try. I will retrieve Glenn. We don’t know if his death in this place is the same as a death in the outside world. Distract them both, and I will attempt to do this and destroy this monster before it can take another one of us.”

“Hurry. I don’t know how long I’ll be able to keep it up…”

“She doesn’t want to fight. Find a way to use that.”

The two turned to each other, both with a look of fear and hesitation. As the inevitability of battle came before them, the sky turned black, and the storm grew heavier.

Who are you? Malice heard her voice inside his head …I know we’ve met before
 
Last edited:
*****************************************************************
Titania's Mind, The Last Seventeen Years, Memoria

Magus stumbled through the ever-changing environment, looking for Glenn's fallen form.

(Magus! Hurry up! We're over here!)

"Yeah, yeah, speaking into my mind really helps me discern your location by following your voice, Doreen..." he muttered.

(Alright, fine. I'll tell you from here. Technically, the Mastermune didn't come into her memories - rather, a look-alike was created. We're able to track you guys from outside her while you thought we were in the weapon Glenn had. To bring the three of you in here, each one of us coded to one of you - we did it according to affinity to the sword. Since Malice has the least to do with the sword, and I'm the strongest, I coded to him. My power is what keeps him in here.)

"Okay, so how is this going to help me find Glenn in this?"

(Well, Mune's the weakest, so he's with Glenn. You don't really need to find Glenn to save him.)

"Huh?"

I'm keeping Glenn in here. If I stop using my power, he'll get sent out fine.

(He's not entirely dead yet, but he's so close it makes almost no difference. We can't undo death in this place, but anything up to it we can get rid of.)

"Okay, so... Mune gives up and Glenn's free?"

Basically, yeah. And if I give up then you're gone, and if Doreen gives up then Malice is out too.

(This is a one-time thing though. We can't send you guys back in if we don't snap her out of it this time.)

"Glenn dies... or he can't help us. Alright. Mune, drop him."

*************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Chimera Woods

Glenn woke with a start next to Titania. He felt his wound... only there was none.

Yay Glenn! You're awake!

"Ugh... what hath occured?"

Well, you almost died but you didn't die and then I stopped using my power and you were okay and everyone else is still trying to help her!

"...Allow me to speaketh with Doreen," he murmured.

I can't, she's not here, she and Masa are still in the memory place with Magus and Malice trying to get the evil shadow thing out of her head and now she's turned all evil and trying to kill them!

Glenn sighed and lifted the sword from the ground. "Well, I doth suppose we shouldst await them."

Okay! That reminds me of this one time in Zeal when me and Masa were...

Glenn looked to the sky while Mune continued chattering. "Oh dearest God, striketh me down now..."
 
The sun rose and set, again. Brain started to get impatient with the rest of the group being gone so long, though he had no idea what he could do to help.

Brain sat looking down at the enterence of the cave.

…
..
.

The concentration brought about nothing new. He still felt weak and unable to find the power he was looking for. Belial and Osirus had already explained that they were higher species then the humans inside the Chimera Woods. So Brian felt powerless. Then a thought came into his mind. ‘The demon inside him needed him alive to continue living as well’.

The floorboards of the ship creaked.

Belial sneezed.

Then only the wind rushing past Brains head as he fell at full speed towards the ground.

Five thousand feet up and the only thing below him were rocks and trees. The world seemed to be getting bigger and bigger as he fell. Brian started to panic, so far nothing was trying to save him and he had been falling for a while. ‘Shit, I’m about to die’ he thought.

Blue sparks started to crackle around his Brian’s body as a great power formed within him.

A quite voice of a shy sounding girl spoke to him. “Brave, stupid but brave. For now I’ll lend you ten percent of my power. I hope you use it wisely.”

The wind got louder.

Osirus felt his hair stand on end.

A loud thunder blast could be heard for miles. Even inside the dream world Titania could hear its rumble.

Out of a small crater Brian came standing tall and smiling widely. Brain hurried inside the cavern. Not taking long to get into the Chimera woods. Looking around he could see footprints of where the others had been. Following them he got to a point were they had obviously split up. White wisps seemed to be everywhere in this place they all came after him with great hast and then would run away in the same kind of way.

After thinking a bit about what set of footprints to follow Brian decided to follow what he thought looked like Titania’s tracks.

(ooc Brain is immune to psychological magic, he wont fall into any sort of illusion.)
 
Last edited:
*****************************************************************
Titania's Mind, The Last Seventeen Years, Memoria

Malice stared down at the young Titania with the child-Phoenix behind her.

(C'mon Malice. You have to have some sort of plan.)

The Theiran raised an eyebrow. "Who are you?"

(Let's just say I'm the reason you're in here, and you can save Titania. But you have to figure out how to save her on your own.)

"How? Phoenix saved her life twice, she'll only listen to it," he whispered.

(What about introducing some outside element? One that'll bring up residual memories?)

"What are you... UGH!"

Malice was slashed across the chest by the crying girl. Blood flowed freely from his new wound.

(DAMMIT!)

The adept felt the gash with one hand. "Huh... how...?"

Titania looked up at him, tears in her eyes. "YOU! Why... why did you..."

The voice of Phoenix grew louder. "KILL HIM NOW!"

(Magus said you had to use her unwillingness to fight against her! You can't die here!)

Malice looked into the small girl's eyes. "Why... why would you do this?"

Titania looked back. "B-b-because Phoenix s-s-s-said..."

Malice tried to stand up, but fell back down. "What did Phoenix say? Why would he want you to kill me?"

"You k-killed my mommy and daddy!"

"Do... do you really want to kill me?"

The girl looked at the ground. "Because..."

"FOR REVENGE!" Phoenix's voice echoed throughout the memory-world, as it shed its child form and became its true fiery splendor. "He killed your parents in cold blood, Tania! Do the same for him!"

"You can't prove it."

The flaming bird, the crying girl, and the wounded man all turned towards the source of the voice. Magus stepped out of the doorway (which quickly vanished) with his scythe in hand. He grinned.

"We didn't do it, Titania. Phoenix did."

The young girl turned to the bird with a confused look. "What?"

"Phoenix killed your parents," continued Magus, "and it tried to frame my friend here for it. It wants him dead for no crime, so it committed one to make you do it."

The bird's aura burned brighter. "If I wanted him dead, why wouldn't I do it myself then?"

Magus raised an eyebrow. "If you don't want him dead, why are you egging her on to finish him?"

"He committed an awful crime against this girl. It's only fitting that she dole out the punishment."

"Or maybe you can't do anything. Maybe you know that we won't kill her, because she's our friend. We wouldn't hurt her, past, present, or future. And you're trying to use that against us."

Ready, Magus!

The dark wizard grinned again. "Report, Masa."

This fiery bird is called Phoenix. Its feathers are known for their ability to call it for assistance in some cases.

"And in other cases?"

In other cases the feathers do the same thing the bird itself can do - bring people back to life.

Magus simply nodded.

The bird glared at him. "And the point of that was?"

Magus walked over to Titania and kneeled, so their eyes were on the same level. "Phoenix brings people back to life. Why didn't it bring your parents back?"

Titania turned, the knives Phoenix had given her still in her hands and dripping with Malice's blood. Why? Phoenix, why didn't you bring my parents back? Why can't you bring them back to life? Then I won't have to kill him. I don't want to. Her thoughts reverberated through the minds of all that were present.

"Titania, I saved your life," said Phoenix in a last ditch attempt to keep her on its side. "You couldn't possibly hurt the one that saved your life."

Magus smiled yet again. "Unless you're not the real Phoenix."

Three weapons slashed into Phoenix in rapid succession. The former two were Titania's knives. The latter one was a scythe.

Shadow flowed as blood from the great bird's wounds. It slowly turned its head. "Fine..." it rasped. "I needn't stay here any longer. You'll all fade as memories here." As if to emphasize this point, Malice's gauntlets fell off of his fading hands. "The memories will decay without my help now. I'll return to the waking world... goodbye, mortal meat-bags."

The bird faded into an indistinct shadow which soon vanished entirely. Magus turned to the Theiran. "Good luck, Malice. The dark thing's gone. You need to figure out a way to fix her memories." He looked to the sky. "Doreen, help him out. There's gotta be a way to replenish her memories."

Malice nodded, still clutching his chest. "Where are you going?"

"I've got a feeling that Glenn's going to need some help hunting a damned memory-killing shadow. Masa, take me out."

Aye aye, Magus!

Magus soon faded. Malice looked at the young girl, who was watching the point where Magus disappeared from.

(Well, Malice, looks like we have our work cut out for us. Any ideas?)

((This is to say nothing of the obvious overpoweredness of Brain there, but we'll worry about that later. I'm not sure how to get the memories out of Malice, but something's gotta work...))
 
Last edited:
“Dammit!”

The world seemed all the emptier as Magus left.

I need to get her out now before I have to leave too…

Her eyes swelling with tears and her hands covered in silvery blood, Titania lay with her face upon the shore, angrily digging her knives into the sand. For a moment Malice watched, unsure of what to do. As he stood there, he observed that she was not a child at all, but rather the way she was they had first met- the day of Zera Shaal’s death. She’s changed so much he thought, and began to wonder about his own demeanor since he’d first come to Gracia.

Looking at his fading hands, he swallowed hard, and sat beside her, trying to be as calm as possible while the world fell around them.

“Your parents…?”

She looked up at him and nodded “I just saw my father on the floor…”

“Do you know about your mother?”

She shook her head “No. I was supposed to go out and find her, but the storm became too strong, and I just-”

“It will be alright. I’m sure she’s fine.” He spoke with the sweetness usually reserved for children.

“I don’t know what to do now.” She muttered, more to herself “Everything’s falling apart.”

“Well first of all…give me those knives…” He motioned for the objects, and she obeyed, sitting up and passing the weapons to him; they fell through his hands.

“Why is that happening to you?” she asked, as the blades hit the ground, their weight forcing the sand to shift to their form.

“It’s…it’s nothing. Don’t worry.”

“No, no…something’s wrong! And your chest! It’s bleeding…” for a moment she seemed unaware until finally it dawned on her “…I did that…”

“You thought that Phoenix was commanding you. I understand.” He tried to put a hand on her shoulder but his form was far from solid. Realizing the urgency, he moved the conversation “Listen, I know that this is hard, but you’re going to have to listen to me.”

Unsure, she looked at him, searching his eyes for anything suspicious; they were blue, she noted, and as she did so, the sea re-appeared.

“Fine…I’ll listen…” she said, still disturbed by the wound on his chest.

He was silent- that was as far as his plan had gotten.

“First-”

“Look out!” she interrupted and pulled him back as a rock from the cliffs came tumbling down toward him.

“How did you-!?” He suddenly realized that his form had started to materialize again “…Titania, do you remember me?”

“How do you know my name?”

“It doesn’t matter! Do you remember me?” he repeated, a little louder.

She searched his face “I can’t remember ever meeting you.”

“But do you know me?”

“How can I know you if I've never met you?”

“Just pretend that doesn’t matter. Don’t try to make sense. Do you remember me?”

She looked once more at his eyes and as she did so, the ocean deepened in colour and calmed.

“I think you look familiar.”

He nodded, seeing she was beginning to recall him “And look!” he took her hands, moving them so her palms were face-up “Look at your hands! How did you get these cuts?”

She stared at them in confusion “I…I don’t know.”

“It was an accident.” He spoke rapidly, in a desperate attempt to make her remember before it was too late “Last night in the woods, Magus and I were fighting.”

Suddenly they were no longer on the shore of Madain Sari, but in the forest of Phantasm

“Yes, that’s right! This is it!” he exclaimed, pulling her to her feet “And do you remember this?”

He showed her the pendant, which hung off his neck.

“That’s from the High Priestess!” she cried, “How did you-?”

“You gave it to me. On the airship.”

“But I’ve never been on an airship…”

“Yes you have! With Magus and I- and Glenn, Belial, Osirus, and…that kid…Barn…I think…”

“I don’t know these people!” she cried.

“You do! You do! Remember when you first came to Palis and you met us all?”

“Palis? I don’t even know what you’re talking about!” she exclaimed, starting to get frustrated. She tried to leave, but he would not let her go.

“Listen to me!” he cried “You can’t leave and you have to listen or you’ll be lost here.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about and I don’t know who these people are! I don’t understand!” she yelled back at him.

As she spoke, the destruction became more intense, her memories shattering and collapsing into dust. The forest disappeared and the stormy shores returned. Above them, the sky grew more violent and the earth began to shift beneath their feet. Malice became more frantic.

“Listen!” he cried, “Try to remember- this place! Or some other place! Anywhere or anyone!”

“I’m trying!” she screamed, frustrated “Can’t you see I’m trying? I don’t know of anywhere else, and I don’t know you!”
 
(Malice, I'm sorry, but we're going to have to pull you out)

"What do you mean!?" he cried, looking around for the source of the voice, but knowing he would not be able to find it.

(You'll die in there unless we take you out. I'm sorry.)

Titania looked around, confusion and fear in her young eyes.

“Who is that? Who are you talking to?” exasperated and scared, she questioned him urgently but he did not answer.

“I can’t leave!” he cried.

(You’ll die- both of you)

Knowing he was powerless to stop the will of The Mastermune (at least from where he was), he turned to Titania, who now seemed so small amongst the apocalyptic backdrop.

“Listen to me, and listen carefully.” He said, and she made no effort to interrupt him “Remember. And when you do, find your way back to us. This isn’t the end and we’re not abandoning you.”

Though she did not know who he was, she was reluctant to let the last of the strangers leave. Unconsciously, she gripped his hands, making him realize he had not released her palms.

“I can’t stay here...” He said, knowing he had no choice.

(Malice, hurry it up)!

“…they won’t let me.”

She gave him one more pleading look, but he dropped his eyes, too ashamed to meet her gaze.

“Find your way back to us.” He repeated, and then was gone.

There was suddenly a void, and the voice that had distracted her had now left, letting the darkness become the reality once more. Numb from the swift meeting, she stood, frozen, on the shore as chaos closed in on her like a snake devouring a mouse.

She could not have cared less.

The people in her life had vanished from her memory, or had been killed in the storm, and now as she looked upon the endless ocean, to the unraveling of the universe, she could see only emptiness. Suddenly, the pain and anger of abandonment ripped through her body, and she collapsed to her knees, looking up toward the smoky sky.

“I give up!” she screamed, throwing her arms open to the storm “What more have you to take?”

The rain did not answer, but fell upon her hair and face, as if to torment her further; yet as the storm had grown, the wind had stopped and its awful howl did not burn her ears as it had before.

Soon the horizon gave way to the darkness, and as she stared upon her own doom, she screamed once more to the un-hearing heavens.

“Make me watch no longer!” her voice cracked with a burden of strain and sobs, and around her the still-existing cliffs bounced her voice back “Are you so cruel that you will make me watch? You took everything and now you make me watch?”

Again there was no answer.

Rising to her feet, she stared out at the ominous sky, her small figure seeming a ridiculous opponent “Fine! If you won’t do it, then I will!”

Shedding her senses, she ran into the ocean, her feet pressing into the passive sand and piercing the clear waters, until finally she stood waist-deep in it.

For once in her life, she would not run, and she would not shrink behind the shadow of others for safety. She was no longer a child, clinging to the coat-tails of her father, never leaving the yard for fear of what others would say- of course: there were no more others. They were all dead.

Her very being burning with an unseen fire, she tilted her chin upward to look straight at the orange and gray monsters, which loomed menacingly in the sky. Rain splashing into the ocean and through her now fading body, she laughed, a moment of pure bliss having taken over all the fear. Finally she had proved them all wrong and now as she stood, waiting for death, she knew in her heart that she had done at least one thing right.

“You are nothing to me, Storm!” she screamed, victoriously, her voice still cracking “Take me now for all I care- I have beat you! I have lived, and you never will! I have lived”

She laughed as the rain fell rhythmically upon her, now more like helpless music, than the terrifying wrath of heaven; she reveled in the coolness of its touch. Finally, as the sky seemed to burst in a fury of light and shadow, she was left alone without sight and without sound. There was nothing, and though her eyes were open, there was nothing to see.

“I have lived…” she whispered, weakly, as the last of her consciousness washed away and she gave up her shallow breath to the cold, gluttonous sky. As her pale form sunk helplessly into the water, the world fell dark and all that was left was the gentle sound of the rolling waves.

*​

“You had to make me leave?”

(I did. You would have died).

Malice was silent.

For a time no one said anything, until finally, there came the sound of footsteps along the cliffs.

“Is it back?” Malice muttered, sarcastically “Is it here to get the rest of us?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Was the only answer “And I’m a he. Not an it.”

“Oh. It’s you, Barn.”

“Brian.”

There was no apology.

“Why is everyone so quiet?” the soldier asked, taking a seat “You think you’d be happier to see me.”

His joke seemed to make no impact.

“Where’s Belial?” Magus asked, seeing that no one else wanted to say anything “Shouldn’t Osirus and him be with you?”

“Of course they didn’t come.” Malice interrupted “They don’t care.”

“In so many words- yes. They don’t care.” Brian said, suddenly seeing the girl’s sleeping form “What happened to-”

“At the moment it is beyond our knowledge.” Glenn interjected, still rubbing the non-existent wound in his back “And we will not know until she wakes up, or…”

“…until she wakes up.” Magus finished his sentence “Malice, do you know of any way we can help from here?”

The Theiran raised his head and looked at his friend “If I did, I would be doing it right now.”

“She’s still breathing…” Brain commented, seeing her chest rise and fall.

Malice looked up once more, and sat next to her, deciding to try one more time to get through.

“Wake up…” he muttered “Please, wake up…”

*​

Slowly, the waves swayed, invisible in the darkness of the abyss. And yet from it there seemed to have been spawned a new kind of light- one which was peaceful, serene, and gentle. Shakily like a new-born fawn, it crept across the moving ocean, lighting it up as it went.

Wake up.

Adrift in the ocean like shipwrecked wood, Titania raised her head, conscious for the first time in what was an eternity.

Are you lost?

She shook her head.

“I don’t need help.”

The voice seemed not to hear.

Are you hurt?

She did not answer.

Can you hear me?

“I can.”

Listen, and try to remember.

Her ears perked at the words, and she raised her head, but then let it fall again.

“I don’t need any help.”

It ignored her.

Do you remember your home?

She listened and said nothing.

The wood floors were so eaten by ants your father had to cover it in rugs. None of them matched.

A small, un-repressable smile tugged at her lips as she imagined the sight.

When you were small, you used to pretend that they were different kinds of wheat and pretend you ran a farm. Your mother told you not to day-dream, and your father told you to think better than farms.

Their voices, which now seemed so sweet in the cold of the night echoed through the sky and she found herself sitting on the floor of her home.

The other children would make fun of you because you had soot on your face from the ovens, and you did not want to ever go outside. They didn’t know why.

“I was ashamed!” she cried, as if in argument, though she knew by now that the voice could not hear her.

Do you remember your father? He used to tell you fairy tales, and make ones up about you. Do you remember your mother? She would bring home dinner from the sea and you would have to watch her. It made you sad to see her kill the fish..

The voice went on for some time, pulling up images and memories of safe places, of times of learning, and times of great importance. Finally, and with greater weight than the times before, it chided her with the memory of the storm.

When you were seventeen you were sent to find your mother, because it was storming out, but you stalled, and went with your friend instead. By the time you were done, it was too late. You ran to the Eidolon Wall but your mother wasn’t there. The city in ruins, you could not return and so you cried to Phoenix who brought you here.

She stood before the Eidolon Wall, it’s brick glowing red with the fire of a hundred generations. As she stared at the carvings and words of the ancients, suddenly her life came flowing back to her, as if it were there the whole time.

“I know what happens next…” she muttered, walking to the statue of Phoenix.

Though there was only blackness in the sky above, and the storm seemed not to come, she stood firm and looked at the effigy without fear and without regret.

“Send me home.” She said.

*​

As if coming out of water, Titania opened her eyes and coughed, gasping for air and trying to sit up. She looked around her to see her friends, who had come near at the sight of movement. Overwhelmed with joy at the sight of their kind faces, she smiled at them, pulling them into a tight embrace.

“I remembered.” She whispered to Malice “And I found my way back.”
 
Last edited:
The others seemed to be finally free of the dream world. Brian however stood there glassy eyed and smiling like a madman.

~~~

Deep inside his own mind Brian’s memory replayed the great battle of seven hundred years ago.

A great warrior stood weapon in hand commanding a great demon army. Hector, Bathoris, Kain, and Valmarus stood in front of the great warrior reading over battle plans. The figure turned so that Brian could see its face. It was a girl with a beautiful and kind looking face, however somewhere in the face Brian could see his own face there.

She started to speak to the demon lords that were reading themselves for the war; she had the same voice as the demon that had spoke to him while he fell from the airship. Quickly visions of a past life ran through his head, visions of hate, murder and war. Something inside him snapped and he started to realize he was not here to be helping the mortals, but rather to be helping the demons destroy this world.

~~~

Brian’s eyes opened a dark shadow formed around them. He started laughing madly.

“You’re all going to die, die! DIE DIE!!” He said laughing as more and more black lightning crackled around his body.

Malice and Titania still dazed and hurt from the encounter with the mental onslaught were unable to move. A gigantic ball of black lightning came from Brian’s hand Malice and Titania sat holding each other in fear of being destroyed. Osirus caught the ball of lightning in his chest knocking him back at first then sending him flying into the woods as it exploded. Osirus now stood in-between Brian and Belials comrades.

“Someone better get them out of here, this guys a whole different class of badass then we are Belial.” Osirus said as a wall of book pages came up in front of him to deflect what may be coming next.

Brian just kept laughing and laughing. “You’re all going to die why you are trying to save yourselves. Your have no chance none at all, and you still fight It.” the insane laughing continued.

The ghostly form of Nichi stood next to Osirus now. “It would seem I misjudged my choice when I brought you to this world.” Nichi turned to Malice and Titania. “We are expecting another guest soon please be waiting for her to arrive.”

Nichi cast a barrier to back up the one that Osirus had put up himself. Another ball of lightning came crackling against the back of the wall slowly burning though. Osirus caught this one and also was thrown into the woods. Nichi put up another barrier and hoped to the gods he could hold it off, with no real body to take the impact Titania and Malice would surely be killed and just as he thought that Magus joined in to protect them. “I’m staking my life on this barrier we best not fail them Nichi.” Casting another even greater barrier Magus turned and winked at his old friend.

The next lightning blast came and was tearing away at the barriers when a great explosion came from behind them. The lightning blast disappeared just before making its way through the barrier.

A girl stood on the other side of Titania and Malice. She seemed a little dazed and very confused. “Whoa a forest, no shit a real forest. I could have sworn we had destroyed them all a long time ago.” She said this as she ran over and hugged a tree. The girl stood there holding the tree tightly. On her back was the same sword that Nichi had wielded the day he died. She wore a lightly clad set of black plate armor and long dark blond hair that went down most of her back in a braid.

Brian looked at her and smiled wildly.

She stretched and then took in her surroundings. “So what is going on here? Hmm” Looking down at Malice and Titania who seemed scared, and then looking at the ghost form of Nichi who she recognized from a dream, then looking at Magus who was sweating trying to keep up the barrier. Finally she looked at Brian who was smiling like a pervert who just got his first peak at someone’s underwear. It made her shutter with disgust.

“Please help us Syne! We need to get him away from here.” Nichi said motioning at Brian.

Drawing her sword she nodded. Using her sword like a giant fan she swung it and made a vortex of dust and leaves that headed right into Brian’s side. Brian tried to dodge it by jumping back but the top of the vortex bent to grab him and threw him into the air. Then jumping high into the sky she hit him broad side with the sword knocking him into the woods.

Nichi and Magus sat down exhausted by the power use they had just endured. “Thanks Syne.” Nichi said.

“No problem at all it was no problem.” She said this as she walked over, then tripped on a root and fell on her hands. “Hehe. Happens all the time, no worries.” She said with a smile and a little laugh.

Titania and Malice had gotten themselves over to sit and see what was going on. Osirus and Belial, while burned up a little seemed fine and joined the rest of them again.

Nichi smiled. “Well good to see you all are alive and somewhat ok still. I’m sorry that you all seem to have had such a rough time here. I am also sorry for replacing my help with the evil half of who I am.”

“The evil half of who you are?” Malice said inquisitively.

Explaining the situation Nichi went on to explain that the three of them, Brian, Nichi and Syne were all once the great demon that ruled over Palis 700 years before. When Nichi died he wanted to draw the good side of him to help finish the war, but it would seem that that’s not what the world wanted so it sent him the evil side first.

“I see so you all have been drawn back to this world.” Titania said.

Nichi nodded.

“So I’m supposed to fend off him? The pervert?” Syne shuddered.

“Something like that.” Nichi looked at his body which was once again disappearing. “It would seem I must go for now once again. Be safe.”

~~~

Meanwhile in the woods Brian had gotten to his feat and had opened the full power that he was entitled to. “It seems that its time for me to return to the command of the army, my army.” He said as he laughed.
 
((Ah yes, aren’t you all sick of me posting so much? Well I’m posting one last time before I head off to vacation! Twill be back in a week!))

As the moon fell behind the ruddy cliffs, Brian trudged away, his feet dragging in the soggy mud. A revelation had come over him, and in an instant he felt as if his recent life were nothing but a dream. His real, tangible self had returned to him like a mother to its child, and now he stood, ready to conquer any obstacle.

*​

“So erm…who might you be?” he asked, turning to Syne.

“Well that depends who’s asking…” she answered playfully, as she dusted off her clothes “Be you a friend or a foe?”

Her voice fluctuated in a humorous manner despite the danger of the moments before, and as she looked around the fire it was clear to the others that she would not have a hard time adjusting.

“Friend, hopefully.” Malice answered, with a curious smile tugging at his lips.

“Then I am Syne Rya.” She said, in a mockingly regal tone, as she bowed “And who might you be?”

“Malice Aquino.”

“And Glenn!” came an excited voice from a corner that the others had nearly forgotten.

“When did he get here?” Titania asked Magus “Was there a storm when I slept?”

He looked at her perplexed “You mean to say you don’t remember him?”

She shook her head.

“We’ll speak about it later.” Magus muttered and then turned to the new-comer “I am Magus.” He said in his usual deep tone.

“And Titania!” came an effeminate chiding.

“And who’re they?” Syne pointed to the two shadow figures who had already begun a new poker game.

“That would be Belial and Osirus.” Magus said, knowing they could not be bothered to speak to the new girl.

“Well then!” she announced in a bubbly voice. “Now that I know all your names, I suppose you have to be nice, or else I can turn you all in!”

Belial looked up from his cards, as if ready to throw one at her.

“Oh, I’m only joking.” She said, realizing that no one had understood “I won’t actually turn you in to anyone. I wouldn’t even know who to talk to.”

There was an awkward silence.

“Well that’s a relief.” Magus said, faintly “Come, sit! Tell us who you are!”

“Yes, yes. Speak to us. Anything that will stop us from falling asleep.” Malice agreed, and soon everyone had found a seat by the fire.

“Well…what would you like to know?” she asked, stretching her legs out on the ground.

“How is it that thy lovely presence has come to grace us here in this world?” Glenn asked, his gaze seeming to be absent and glossy.

“Hm…there was a storm. Then I was here. Next!”

The others seemed dazed by the quickness of her speech, and so there was a long silence.

“I have a question for you.” Malice spoke up, in a serious manner “What is it that Nichi meant when he said he ruled over Palis 700 years ago?”

“I think I can explain that.” Syne said, feeling quite intelligent “Though keep in mind, I am only repeating information. I’m not too sure about it all.

Once there was a great Demon Lord who ruled over this place. Somehow he was destroyed, and his spirit was divided into three in order to stop him from returning to the world. Nichi, and I are part of him, and so is The Pervert.”

“Brian.” Malice corrected.

“Since when do you know his name?” Magus laughed.

The coming of Syne had seemed to lighten the mood, and though the group knew they would not be able to sleep for the next few days, nor even let their guard down, they were for a moment joyous, basking in the presence of one who had not yet felt the burden of the world. In her all of them saw themselves in a time long forgotten, and though they would not admit it, most of them wished they could return to it.
 
Last edited:
*​

As time rolled on and the fire began to dwindle on its last embers, the effects of the night had worn through their soft demeanour. Conversation had run thin, and now that there was not even warmth, the fight against sleep was becoming unbearable.

“I think that…I think that I’ll try to find more water…” Titania said timidly, and yawned, for though she had slept it was not a peaceful one, and she was as worn as the others.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Syne asked.

“If you’d like.” She yawned once more.

The two set off, wearily, wanting nothing more than to rest their eyes for just a moment, but knowing that there would be days ahead of them before they could. It was an odd sight to see them walking, for they contrasted not only in their height, but in their manner- while Syne moved with a carefree bounce and attractive sway, Titania walked slower, and more conservatively; while Syne’s hair shone golden in the moonlight, Titania’s remained its usual red-brown; while Syne’s voice was sweet and childish, Titania’s was quiet and timid. It was not only a witness who could see this, but the smaller of the girls, too, and in her tired state, she began to view her new friend with a touch of jealousy. She would never say so out loud, of course, or even hint at it. But the thought was now at the back of her mind and for a moment, she wondered why she could not be so lovely.

“Do you carry that everywhere?” Titania asked curiously, looking at the sword, which hung off of the other girls’ back.

“Yep. All the time! Wouldn’t you?”

“Not really. I think it’s taller than I am.” She laughed, though her voice fell dry from fatigue.

Syne joined in the laughter, but hers over-powered the other girl’s and shot loud through the silence of the wood.

“Tell me. What was it like to be the only girl here for so long?”

Titania was silent for a while; she hadn’t even thought of that. For months, the others had been her family and she had regarded them simply as that- not knights or sorcerers, not men or women, but people whom she trusted her life with and who did the same.

“I never really thought about it like that. When I came there was another girl…well sort of. She was half of Nichi.”

“I thought I was half of Nichi.”

“I think you’re one third of Nichi. She was…his eyes?”

“So what am I?”

“I don’t know.”

They continued walking, being civil but finding it hard to make conversation.

“It will be nice to have another girl to talk to, though. I sort of miss that. Though I never really talked to girls when I was home, either.” Titania spoke up after a while, breaking an awkward silence.

“Who did you talk to, then?”

“My father. My mother. The High Priestess.” She laughed, realizing not for the first time that she did not have much of a social life “It does not matter, though. I’ve found my home here. I can’t imagine trading the others for friends and a simple life at home.”

“How long have you been together?”

She thought for a while, and was surprised with the answer “Not more than three months!” she exclaimed, suddenly realizing how short a time they’d spent travelling “But after a few weeks of spending all your time together, it feels like more.”

“I understand.” Syne said, remembering her friends from her own homeland “Are they nice? What are they like?”

“Well, I don’t think you’ll have a problem getting along with Glenn!” Titania laughed, “But hm, let’s see... well I myself avoid Belial and Osirus. They’re in a world of their own. The others seem to be scared of them- I don’t know why- so perhaps it’s good not to bother them. Magus is dependable, but also don’t bother him, because I don’t think he’ll put up with a lot. He doesn’t talk to me too much- I think he’s shy to speak to anyone. (Don’t tell him I said that)! And then there’s Malice. He’s…” she tried to explain but found she could not make any few statements about him. There were simply too many things to name “…you won’t have to worry about him. I’m sure you’ll get along.”

They continued walking, and finally got to the river.

“Is that water safe?” Syne asked.

“For drinking? Yes. For swimming, no.” Titania said “There’s something not right about this forest, and if I were you I wouldn’t trust myself to it.”

Syne nodded “…how old are you?” she asked after a while.

“Seventeen, I think.” Titania answered “You?”

“Eighteen. What do you mean ‘I think’

“I mean I can’t remember.” Titania laughed “I know I’m seventeen but I feel like I’ve been here forever. Not only that, I haven’t really been asked my age since I’ve left home. You’ll find things will change for you soon, too.”

“Things can’t possibly be worse here than where I’m from.”

“What do you mean?” Titania asked, kneeling by the water and washing her face in it.

“Well, I was born into a war of sorts. And that’s all I’ve ever known. Every day I don’t know if it’s the last time I see the sun.”

Titania looked up at her, and saw a touch of un-expected solace in her eyes. Giving up on washing, she sat next to her.

“I’m sorry.” she said, consolingly “I was in a war for two months and I couldn’t even take it. I don’t know how you managed your whole life.”

“It doesn’t feel like that- ‘managing my whole life.’” Syne said, leaning back and putting her weight on her palms “I was living every day as it came, and now that I come here…it’s almost like a dream- like I shouldn’t be here.”

“You call not being able to sleep, and having to deal with mind-devouring monsters a dream?”

Syne smiled “I mean the peace. Look around.”

For the first time since she’d come to Palis, Titania looked around and took in the beauty of the forest. The sky seemed to her a deep and seamless ocean, dotted with clear stars, and revelling in a pool of moonlight. Around them, the grass was soft, and the river was peaceful. Trees lined the banks, dipping their branches into the bubbling water and swaying gently in the breeze.

“You’re right. It is quite beautiful.”

“I never would have dreamed of being in a place like this, not fearing that there were people waiting to slit my throat.”

“I hate to break it to you, then- this isn’t a vacation. Life here’s very hard. And it’s not only surviving, it’s keeping everyone safe…body and mind.”

“How do you keep ones mind safe?”

“Well…we’ve not only seen war. We’ve travelled and we’ve dealt with demons, monsters, danger of all kinds. And not only that, there’s pressure. It’s almost like we’re not only doing this for ourselves, but for other people to. And I don’t know why. It’s just something I’ve come to terms with.”

Syne nodded “How is it that you go about dealing with this?”

“Each other.” Titania shrugged “We cling to each other. The others aren’t as obvious about it, because they’re proud, but it’s true for them too. Glenn and Magus, Belial and Osirus. They need each other or else they will be alone and have to face everything alone. I think it’s really the only thing that’s keeping us going- waking up and not thinking ‘I might die today,’ but waking up and thinking ‘I have someone near me who matters, and I matter to someone near. Even if I never wake up again, at least I’ll have spent another day close to him.’”

Syne smiled and nodded, dipping a canteen into the river “I did not have that where I came from. Perhaps it will change here and I’ll find the same thing.”

“Perhaps.” Titania smiled, gathering water as well “No- not perhaps. You will. Welcome to Palis, Syne.”
 
Last edited:
*************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Chimera Woods

Magus, Malice, and Glenn sat around the dying fire. Magus looked up at Malice and grinned. "I've yet to receive an expression of thanks for making that barrier, Malice."

Malice looked up, eyes squinting. "Screw you."

Magus shrugged. "Just the response I expected. Either way, I have a question. Why wouldn't Titania remember Glenn?"

Malice indicated himself. "Remember way back when I was captured by the demons? Titanis healed me and I started to remember things that I shouldn't have been able to."

Magus nodded, getting a clearer picture.

"Now that I think about it, I can remember remembering the things I shouldn't have remembered, but I can't remember those things now. That make sense?"

Magus nodded again. "That's why you recognized stuff from her world. She gave you her memories. You gave them back while we were in there, but..."

"...'twas before she hath met myself."

"Exactly," said Magus and Malice at the same time.

((Yeah, yeah, it's a short post, but at least it might explain why Titania forgot Glenn. I'll make a longer one when I'm less tired - probably next weekend.))
 
Syne thought of what Nichi had told her. She really did not understand just what was going on and why she was here other then she was supposed to help save the world from an army that part of her once ruled over. “Titania, what is your dream?”

Meanwhile someplace deep in the woods a great power started flowing through Brian. Marks of torment came all over his body. With a giant blast of fire and lightning Brian took off into the sky heading to the great spire.

Hector stood in the meeting room of the great spire when Brian appeared in the room.

“Who is this little shit?” Kain said as he came in the room.

Hector looked at Kain and shrugged. “Don’t know, why don’t cha find out?”

“I wouldn’t be rude to our friend here. “He may just get mad and kill us all.” Came a voice from just out side the door. Bathoris came in and got down on one knee presenting himself to Brian. “It is good to have you back sire.”

“Eh? Who is he?” Kain said pulling at his goatee.

“You have to be a moron not to know who this is, its Kani Dokri” Bathoris said still bowing.

The other two quickly got on their knees and bowed before their great leader. In unison they said. “It is a great day now that you’re back master!”
 
((No I'm not back. I'm on my cousin's computer))

Titania laughed and leaned back on her palms, letting her feet hang into the water “Hm…I suppose it's do something that others will really appreciate. I want to make a difference in someone's life- for the better. I want to...I don't know. I want to do something right for once...really do something right. I feel like I can make a difference and it's in there somewhere, but I just don't know how. I want to find that, and I want to make it happen. I don't want to screw up.

And maybe this is one and the same, but I want to find what my purpose is.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well…my papa always told me that I must have some kind of purpose- it’s a long story. Anyways, I suppose I’ve always wanted to know what that was. I think that coming here has something to do with it, I just don’t know what. Being here feels right- it’s hard to explain. It just feels right.”

Syne smiled and nodded “I know what you mean. It’s the same with me. I feel at home here already.”

”It’s like this land is familiar, and even some of the people are familiar.”

“That’s right!” Syne agreed “I feel like we’ve already met.”

Titania nodded, enthusiastically “So I’m not the only one to think so! I thought I was losing it…or not getting enough sleep. Both are very likely.”

They laughed and for a moment tired eyes were lit with the glow of friendship. Slowly, the merriment dissipated and yet the girls still sat with smiles upon their young faces.

“Do you feel like you’re closer to some than others?” Titania asked.

“I do. With some I feel like family, with others I feel like…” Syne trailed off.

“Like what?”

“I feel like they’ve hurt me. But I’ve never met them before so it’s impossible.

“You feel like I’ve hurt you, don’t you?”

“…how did you know?”

“Because I feel guilty.”

“Do you think that has something to do with the Old World?”

“The what?”

“The Old World. In the portal Nichi explained to me our past. He called Palis 700 years ago the ‘Old World.’”

“Oh. I suppose that makes things easier…”

“So do you think that it has something to do with that?”

“Maybe.” Titania answered “…do you remember anything from your old life?”

“Sort of. It’s hard to explain. I see images but they come and go and they aren’t very clear. It’s almost like when you have a dream and the next day you try to remember it. You know it happened and you can almost figure it out, but for some reason you just can’t remember things fully.”

“Maybe that’s what Brian felt. Something triggered him to remember the past, though.”

“Brian’s the perv, right? Well…I don’t know about that.”

“You were once the same being, weren’t you?” Titania asked.

Syne shuddered “Supposedly. But I find it hard to believe that in my past life I was a psychotic demon warlord.”

“I do too.” Titania agreed “But maybe that wasn’t really who you were. Maybe that was who the others were. Specifically Brian.”

“Perhaps.”

“…you know what’s odd?”

“What”

“I feel like I know you. And a little less like I knew Nichi. But with Brian…it was like I’d met him but didn’t really know him.”

“That’s odd.”

”It is. How could you know one part of a person and be a stranger to the other.”

“Well…maybe it’s a coincidence. The fact that you even feel like you know me is very odd.- though I can’t say impossible, because I have the same reaction.”

“I wonder if we really have met and it’s just like you said- things come like dreams and you can’t remember them.”

“Well wouldn’t you notice?”

“Now that I think of it, I’ve had strange dreams before- ones I didn’t remember having. I can’t see anything specifically… it’s all a mess! I’m not even sure if that’s a coincidence or not, though...”

“Well, maybe we can piece something together.”

“Alright, that sounds like a good idea.”

Syne thought for a while “I think it’s safe to say you were in the Old World.”

“Maybe. I don’t want to say anything for sure.”

“Well…let’s assume. You feel guilty about something.”

“That’s right.”

“And I feel hurt.”

There was a pause.

“What kind of a hurt?” Titania asked.

“Like…betrayal.”

“That’s what I expected. Whatever it was, I don’t think my whole heart was in it.”

“But it didn’t matter, because whether or not you really wanted to, it made a difference. One that made things bad for me.”

“Difference…” Titania said out loud, thinking for a while “Do you think then maybe that’s it? All of us-all of us in the group, I mean- we all made a difference back then?

“Maybe!”

“But wait…that can’t be right. How old is Belial?”

“Perhaps old enough to remember.” Syne mused.

“…do you feel like you know Belial?”

“I’m not sure. Do you?”

“I don’t know. I’ve always avoided him.”

“Maybe then that has something to do with it. But then again maybe it’s not everyone.”

”Maybe it is.”

“Now we’re just going around in circles!”

Frustrated, Titania buried her face in her hands.

“This is too much to figure out in one night. We should rest.” Syne suggested.

“Or at least try to. Let’s head back. The others will know what to do.”

“I’m pretty sure that they’re as lost as we are.”

Titania shook her head “No. One of them will know.”

”The best they could do is pretend.”

”Well that’s good enough for me.”

Titania prepared to leave without another word, but Syne stopped her.

“Are you sure about that? It doesn’t seem right.”

“I trust them. Something that they make up will be far better than something I make up.”

“How do you know?”

“I know, because I know.” Titania answered, turning to her new friend with a sense of frankness “Just listen to them. They’ve been here longer and they are all skilled warriors. It is not our place to question them. It’s for our own good. My papa used to tell me:

‘If you are to cross a field of swords, you do not ask the blind man to lead the way.’

The stubbourn and proud fool will find her feet bloody. Understand?”

“No.” Syne answered “We are both warriors in our own right and it is stupid to pretend that we’re not. The bigger fool is the one who thinks they’re blind when they can better see the field before them.”

Titania’s cheeks flushed with silent anger- how could this girl question the word of her father? Still, she said nothing.

“Come, let’s go. We’ll find the others.” she said.

Syne sighed, seeing that her point had fallen on deaf ears.

They walked for a while in silence, until the glow of the fire came into sight. As the smell of smoke flooded them and the gentle crackle of tiny embers filled the air, Titania turned to Syne.

“…so what’s your dream?”
 
Last edited:
Syne thought of just what her dream really was. “Well I use to think I would help end the war and finally set the world to peace in my lands.” She then looked around and let out a sigh of relief. “But I’m here now so I get to save a world that I can save. My world will never be free from war, even if everyone put down their weapons it would only take a few days before they tried to kill each other again.”

“Sounds like a painful place to live, you must have lost a lot of people dear to you.”

“I did, mom, dad, two of my brothers and my little sister all died in war.”

“So what is your dream now that you’re here?”

“You know first I have to get use to being free from my world before I can really think about that.” Syne stretched her arms above her head and started to skip a little. “Maybe I’ll get to live the dream of being in a world of peace one day.”

Titania smiled widely and laughed a little. “You know that sounds like a good dream.”

They walked a little further and arrived at the camp. The others didn’t have the energy to do much more then wave at them.

“Belial can I ask you a question?” Syne said with a silly smile on her face.

Belial pulled the cigarette out of his mouth and nodded.

“Were you around for the war that ended 700 years ago?”

Nod

“Do you remember it?”

Nod

“Can you tell us about it?”

“Nope, I already answered more then one question. Ask again some other time.”

“Ok, thanks for being nice.” She giggled
 
******************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Spire

Brain stood before the bowing demon lords when the doors flew open. A man dressed in official-looking armor and holding a broken pendant walked in.

"Who is this?" asked Brain maliciously.

The newcomer merely glared at him. "I'm not here to deal with you, boy. My problem stems from another."

Brain simply raised a hand. "You think yourself to be better than me?"

"I don't think of myself as better than you. However, I know that I am better than anyone from my world. And if my... brother, so to speak, doesn't deal with a certain someone from my world, he's going to find himself to be in a world of pain," said the man.

"Begone, Gamma. We'll deal with this later," hissed Kain from the corner of his mouth.

Brain sneered. "You know him, Kain? Tell me, of whom does he speak?"

"I - or, my 'parent' - controlled the evolution of humanity on my world. Somehow, though, my 'parent' was destroyed by a number of lesser creatures. One of those worthless things came here. Thus, myself and my three 'brothers' came here through the same portal and now we're going to destroy this worm."

Brain simply smiled. "And what would this worm's name be? Perhaps he is one of those who travelled with me for a short while."

"His name is Janus Zeal. Sound familiar? Didn't think so. Luckily, my 'brother' Beta went back to that war zone to kill him."

Brain's eyes narrowed. "War zone? The war that Valmarus led on Gracia?"

Gamma simply smirked. "I'm off to check on the girl. Her power can have tremendous effects if applied correctly."

*************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Chimera Woods

The entire group, exhausted, watched the last dying embers of the fire.

A screech from the sky sounded.

The fire burst back into life.

Magus got up, scythe ready, staring at the sky. A gigantic shape-shifting thing floated down on constantly shifting wings.

"I hAVe yoU NOw!" howled the monstrosity.

"Lavos Spawn," said Magus.

"Run. Now," said Glenn.

Instead of heeding Glenn's advice, the others drew weapons as well.

"I'll be damned if I let you fight this alone," said Malice.

"WHaT A coiNCiDenCE! yoU'lL be DamNeD anYWAY!"

Flames burst from the creature's transforming mouths. Belial, Osirus, Glenn, and Syne dove out of the way. The other three were not as lucky.

Titania cried in pain as the flames caught her robe. A quick chant later, Glenn had put the fire out with some water magic.

Malice stood and took the heat. The fire was painful, but nothing compared to some of the stuff Boiz had thrown at him.

Magus charged directly into the flames, chanting the whole way. Magic began to flow around him as the fire burned his skin.

The monstrosity directed all of its flames onto Magus. The man's skin began to burn away from the intense heat as magic began to radiate from him.

A dream of the gods. Listen to the great symphony of the multiverse. Hear every star in the galaxy. Listen to each star's song. They coalesce into a single song. A single harmony. A single note.

That note.

It is Fire.


The fires from the monster began to swirl around Magus's scorched body. His own magic began to permeate the flaming tornado surrounding him. Darkness flowed out of every wound, every pore, every orifice of his body. A voice, like a god's, came from him.

"DARK FLARE!"

Flames of pure darkness engulfed Magus and the creature, which promptly cried, "NoOOOooOOoOooOOooOOOoooooOOOooOO! i HavE FailEd!"

The darkness vanished. Magus's smoking body fell to the ground. The Lavos Spawn managed to get up, trembling. Its shifting had slowed considerably and it appeared to be panting heavily. Glenn stepped forward, weapon in hand. "Thou... thou art an abomination. Thy eternal torture shalt never be harsh enough for the likes of thee!" Two quick slashes followed.

The monster howled and took off, oozing important-looking bodily fluids profusely. It managed to slowly fly away, albeit barely.

The smell of acrid smoke filled the air in the camp. Everyone quickly checked to make sure nobody was hurt, only...

Glenn, Titania, Malice, and Syne surrounded Magus's scalded body.

(He's in no condition to talk, or even be conscious right now. I'll go into his mind and tell him to explain everything when he comes around again. But right now we're going to need as much healing power as we can get to keep him alive.)

Ouch! That looks really painful. He's barely got any skin left!

Yeah, are you even sure that all his blood didn't evaporate in that heat?

Mune, you're not helping!

Well neither are you, brother!

(Both of you shut up! We need him healed as fast as we can. C'mon, you tangible people, do something!)

****************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Outside The Spire

Gamma looked around, the empathic feeling of pain coming from Beta. He soon saw the digusting morphing thing float over.

"Beta! What... what happened?" gasped Gamma.

"JanUS... usEd my FirE agAiNSt Me... wiTH hIs dArkNeSS iNFuSeD... aNd... He wAS bURNeD tOO... BuT... tHE OThEr oNE... iS HErE... WitH THe sWorD anD AlL tHReE Of ThE sPIrItS..." uttered Beta.

"The other one? What do you mean?" asked Gamma.

Beta finally stopped shifting, a single human mouth his only speaking appendage. "The... Frog..."

With a loud groan, Beta finally perished.
 
Three rounds of fighting had left them exhausted, and even as they stood in peace, it seemed as if the very air were wearing them down in a silent battle.

Healing. The word filled Titania’s ears with good entry, and she was glad to hear it. It had been so long since she had been able to use her magic for that which did not cause harm, and the act was beginning to make her forget.

With a sudden glow to her previously pale skin, she kneeled before and looked onto the injured man with the tenderness of a mother. Placing a hand on his unconscious arm, she examined the burns, knowing that –at least for the moment- his lack of awareness was his greatest benefit.

There was silence save for the wood, when at last there came a gentle glow, first only over the shape of her small hands, but soon covering Magus’ body like white fire.

There was something odd then in both of their presences, as if the flame connected their spirits until it was impossible to tell where one ended and the other began. It became clear then, to the others, that her magic was not merely spells conjured up from a book, but the deepest part of her shared with an injured soul.

The fire spread and then evaporated into smoke; for a moment Malice felt as if he could see images amongst each gray tendril- once again in that ungraspable, dream-like remembrance. He knew that he had seen that flame before, and that it had once been part of him– perhaps still was.

*​

In a place beyond the understanding of mortality, Brian sat upon an opal chair, staring at the faces of his Generals with a look of sudden fulfillment; he had his control back, and now whatever the obstacle, he could rise to power and shape things to fit his dementia.

“Tell me, Bathoris,” Brian began, his words seeming odd when clouded by his youthful voice “You who have prepared for me all of this time- what do you suggest I should do first?”

The demon grinned his terrifying smile as he looked at his master, his eyes shadowed by black light “Do you not wish to continue your campaign? Finish what you started?”

There was a silence as he thought over it “That is indeed the final goal, but I am unsure of where to start.” His hesitation, of course, was not over ignorance, but rather over the sensation that a child receives when he is presented with a room full of toys “Shall I first start with them?”

“That would be a wise choice.” Kain advised “Destroy them before they awaken too. As they are now, they have not met the power of their past lives”

Brian laughed “What power? What they accomplished was mere coincidence. It took no skill. First, she betrayed me…left me to be slaughtered by the enemy. But I knew…I knew the whole time that something was wrong, and when they came I was ready for them.” a smile tugged at his young lips “I killed the him. And I enjoyed it, too… his arrogant face crying out from the pain of the sword- my sword! I drove it into him three times for good measure, and watched him squirm as his spirit left.”

“But the woman!”

Brian shot a look at the demon who had dared pull him from the high of victory, down to his bitter defeat “…yes, of course. I have not forgotten. How could I?” He pressed his fingers into the table and pulled them back, as if digging into flesh.

“It does not matter now.” Kain interrupted “You have returned, and she is dead.”

“Indeed.” Brian looked up from his invisible victim “Has her spirit returned to Palis yet?”

“No.” Valmarus answered.

“Good. I should not like a repeat of that day.”

Hector smiled as he turned to his master “Lord Kani, while we are at your service and willing to inform you of the state of our world, I find it is of great importance that I bring to your attention the issue of your body.”

“Ah yes,” Brian nodded, having wondered about it himself “Well, continue…”

“After that day 700 years ago, we saw to it that your body be hidden. Because we all did not trust each other, we entreated one of our kind with the task of placing you somewhere. We put a seal on him so that he would not be able to tell anyone of the location but us. It is a secret he has kept to this day.”

“And who is this demon?” Brian cocked his eyebrow.

“Belial O’Shauva.”

*​

The white fire finally evaporated into the cool night air, and slowly Magus opened his eyes, Doreen having been ready to pull him from his unconsciousness when the time was right. He looked about, and saw his friends standing around with concern in their eyes.

“What-” he began to get up, but fell back down, grabbing his back in pain.

“You can’t stand for a while.” Titania said, blankly, “You’re lucky to be alive and you’ll need to rest for a while.”

He looked at his arms and saw that his burns were gone “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” she said as she withdrew to the fireside; it was clear that she was tired.

“What was that thing?” Syne asked crouching down near him.

“Lavos.” Magus answered “They’ve followed me here from my world.”

“Oh.” Syne acknowledged, unsure of what else to say.

There was pause.

“I don’t think we should stay here any longer.” Malice said “There’s too much that has happened. We should continue on east a little- we can’t sleep anyways.”

“I’d agree except that I can’t walk.” Magus muttered.

“Is there anything that can speed up this process?” Malice asked, turning vaguely to the others.

“I could try.” Titania said, pulling herself up and kneeling beside the fallen ally once mo re.

“Here, don’t watch.” she whispered quietly to Magus, placing a hand over his eyes.

Again the white light returned and spread over his body. This time, however, it was not as peaceful and as concentrated as before- now it seemed almost forced. When at last it was done, she removed her hand and nearly fell backward, as if off-balance. Slowly, Magus rose to his feet and stretched.

Malice looked him over and seemed pleased “Good then, let’s go.’

“Put out the fire first.” Titania said, coughing a little “the smoke’s thick, and we’ll burn down the forest if we leave it.”

“What a shame.” Magus muttered sarcastically as he began to throw dirt on the flames

“Alright, it’s gone. Let’s go.”

Wearily, the others began to follow, Titania being the last to finally remove herself from the site. Pulling her cloak tight around her cold shoulders, she followed them, lagging behind slightly, from fatigue.

“Syne, did Nichi say anything about the significance of the stone we’re looking for?” Malice asked, turning to the girl.
 
Syne thought for a moment about what Nichi had said on her way to Palis. Nothing was mentioned about what they did but just that they were important. “I really don’t know anything more then that they are important.”

“I see.” Titania said

“Maybe he will come back and tell us more later on after he has regained some more strength again.” Syne said pulling at her imaginary goatee.

As the sun began to come up they could make out the outline of a large building in the horizon. Everyone gave out a sigh of relief as they ran towards the entrance of the shrine. They had finally made it to where they had been traveling to.

Syne sat down on the steps to the main room and sighed. “Magic barrier.”

“What?” Malice said walking right past her.

“Nichi said the stones were behind magic barriers that keep anyone linked to Kani.” Syne said. “You guys go in I’ll wait here for you to return.”

“Ok, it doesn’t look like I can go in either.” Titania said pushing hard against the invisible wall.

Malice, magus, Belial and Osirus had no problems entering the shrine; Syne, Titania and Glenn were forced to stay outside.

“Please come back as fast as you can.” Titania said to the others as they entered the shrine.

“We’ll be back as soon as possible.” Malice said
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top