Chapter 4: Domination

Status
Not open for further replies.
((Yeah, I know that now.

Dammit, and it got rid of that other villain that I made up a while ago and couldn't stand, and it made Glenn look cool, and Kirby actually did some awesomeness rather than standing around and looking useless (bringing pictures to life can be very useful in making decoys of characters, you know).

Ah well. It's not like I flunked English or something. *looks at grades on final paper* NOOOOOOOO! :p

However, one important note I do want to address is the fact that it took us so long to get over Malice and Magus's deaths but we got over Syne's in a matter of seconds.))
 
Well, it was a bit rushed...but I guess if you move the story along manually, that's bound to happen.

My Kirby? Doing something other than comic relief? Now that I gotta see. :P
 
[[Right. Back into things...}]

You could see the door from miles down the corridor. Glowing runes adorned every square inch of it. Thick black chains and locks held the place of any type of guards. The construction was incredibly overdone and intimidating. There was no slot or barred viewpoint to provide food or a chance to view the prisoners.

Inside, there was a repetitive clinking noise. Seated on one bed was Belial, flipping cards into a hat. On the other, Osirus glared, furious.

Belial ignored him. Osirus finally walked over and knelt, grabbing Belial's wrists.

"Fine." he sighed. "You win. I promise not to attempt to merge two worlds in a quest to crossbreed cats with rabbits again."

Belial stared at Osirus for a good ten minutes. "Do you know why you shouldn't?"

Osirus groaned and went to the corner, rocking back and forth. "The only demon I know who obeys rules."

Finallly, he went back over and pinned Belial down. "BECAUSE IF I DESTROY EVERYTHING THEN THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT TO PLAY WITH!!!" he shrieked at the top of his lungs. "CAN WE JUST GO NOW???"

Belial smiled. "Next time, I'm leaving you behind. You understand?" He mussed Osirus' hair. "Now, lets get going."

The door's protective runes glared at the demonic pair. Belial skipped over and knocked on the portal twice. "Its almost a shame to have to do this..."

He slammed his open hand into the middle of the obstruction. Void energies rippled from the center of his strike, annihlating the magic and door alike. Osirus stepped around his companion. "Now, is there a shortcut back to whereever your friends went?"

Belial dragged his fingernail down the wall. A thin black line remained. "After you, sweetheart." He bowed. Osirus kicked Belial in the stomach, and tore the fabric of spatial realitivity. They looked at the result, Belial slapping Osirus on the back of the head as soon as he turned to look. They saw everything through the eyes of their chosen supplicant. "Perfect. I love Templars."

Belial reached inside. "Ladies and gentleman, please step this way."

----------------------
Ashur grabbed his face and screamed. Everything suddenly pitched forward. When he landed, his back split open. From the universal wound climbed Belial and Osirus. "Damn, thought we'd never find a use for him." Osirus said, looking around.

"Next time, remember how powerful the beings you're dealing with REALLY are." Belial kicked Ashur in the side. "In the meanwhile, you owe some favors to friends of mine. Have fun."

Belial waved. Ashur was pulled in on himself in a fit of screaming as he was torn from the world. "It might have been mean, don't you think?" Belial asked Osirus.

"Nah. He knew the risks when he made the deals." Osirus shrugged. "Hey Titania."
 
Sacryan shook his head, he felt something in the air that reminded him of Chaos, but nothing around here smelled of it. He put one more stone in place and then went over to greet the newcomers. “Hail Brother, and his followers!” He said to Glenn who immediately stepped back.

“What brotherhood do you speak of that binds us?” Glenn said looking at the tall man before him.

“The brotherhood of Knights, Templars, and the servants of the emperor of course is who I speak of!” Sacryan said cheerfully

“Well I may be a knight but I have no idea what you are talking about and these people are not my followers. Who are you anyways? You look like a man but I have never seen a man with metal coming out of his head, or a man who can lift a stone the size of me.” Glenn said looking at the wires coming out of the side of Sacryan’s head.

“I am Sacryan, most people call me Ryan though. I do not think this is the same world I come from, because I do not smell the stink of Chaos.” Ryan saluted while saying this and went on to scratch his head. “Where am I exactly?”

“That’s a long story. Perhaps Titania would be best to tell this.” Glenn turned to her and nodded.

“This is Palis. A world once destroyed by a demon and we are al here because the world drew us here to save it from having that happen again.” Titania said and then went off to play with the children in the town.

“I see.” Ryan said “So I am here to help kill some demon, yet I do not feel the presence of Chaos. All the same I must help, a demon alive is a demon that must be destroyed!” Ryan bowed. “I shall lend a hand in whatever task you need me to do.”
 
((We’re in a town? Gawd, I’m so lost!))

Titania walked slowly along the snowy pathways, her arms wrapped around herself as she shivered in the cold, northern air. Nichi, Magus, Malice, Syne. Was anyone she knew when she had come to Palis still around? Belial perhaps... though she wasn't quite sure. Besides, it wasn't as if they were best of friends.
With little else to do, she stared at the shoes on her feet which had long since worn through. Silently, she thought to herself, remembering her time in Adinem and the strange circumstances that led to the slippers on her feet.

Pulling her out of her daydream, a small ball of string hit her in the leg. She stared at the poor object, her eyes following its direction to a group of children. Without a word, she bent, taking the ball and approaching the group.

“Is this yours?” she asked, holding it out to one of them.

The little boy flinched, moving slightly backward as if afraid “Are you…are you a ghost, madame?” he asked in a shy voice.

She shook her head.

“You don’t look like any of us.”

“I’m not from here.” She said, quietly “Beyond these mountains there’s lots of people who don’t look like any of you.”

The little boy nodded, staring at the hills and then at his string ball.

Titania smiled, placing the small object in his hand.

“What’s your name?” she asked,

“Noah.” The little boy answered.

There was a silence as Titania thought, “Is this a common name here?” she asked after a while “Are there many children with your name.”

The boy nodded, sticking out his chest proudly “It’s the same name as a great warrior from this town!”

“A king!” another child shouted

“A hero!”

Titania laughed a little –the first time she’d genuinely smiled in a long time “Hm…he is the hero of this town, then? I suppose he was born here.”

The children nodded.

“I’d love to hear the legend…perhaps you could tell me.”

“I could tell it backwards in my sleep!” cried a little boy, running up to her and tugging on her dress “Come, I will act it out for you!”

She smiled and laughed, picking up the child out of instinct “You will wait for my friend? I think he would very much like to hear the story to.”

The boy nodded and pointed at Glenn in the distance “Is that him?”

Titania nodded, and began to walk toward her friend, carrying the child though she was still weary.

“Glenn…” she called as she came nearer “I think this boy has a story to tell you.”
 
When the Templar quoted imperial doctrine about destroying demons, Osirus fell over laughing. Belial didn't.

"He... he said..." Osirus howled. "Oh the nine hells, I could kick Khorne's skull in..."

Belial went over and knelt next to where Osirus was rolling. WHen Osirus got close enough, Belial brought his fist down hard enough to dent the earth around him. Osirus kept laughing. "Damn it, Osirus, rule number 8. No revealing information that would destroy the foundation of a major religion." he hissed.

Osirus dusted himself off, rubbing his chest where Belial hit him. "Is there anything the rules don't cover?" he walked over to the Templar. "Nice to meet you. I am Osirus, the Sixth. My little friend there with the seven pointed star is Belial the Seventh. Trust, I'm sure we can find something for you to hit."

Belial sighed. He noticed how much he sighed or felt frustrated when Osirus was around. Back when the rules were created, Osirus had understood. He'd helped write them, for Kharn's sake. There needed to be rules, and order, or there was no reason to exist. Even a creature of rebellion needed the authority to rebel against. Osirus had simply taken it upon himself to turn on the rules at some point, and be all the rebel the universe needed.

Out of all the demons, Osirus was probably the least harmful, in that manner. You could always expect his next move.

Belial instead walked over to Titania. "What'd I miss, kiddo?" he smiled wickedly. "I was attempting to teach Osirus a lesson. I think it failed."

----------
[[Right. So, I've been doing a lot of online forum games but I'm still comfortable with the set of rules I was last on... I'll start moving yall once I get back into the swing of stuff.]]
 
((No post this time but I thought I'd just let you know that I won't be around for the next month!

See you in July ^_^))
 
((Oh no, people. Don't count on Dark FFnut to reconcile your little plot inconsistencies. Glenn's got nothing to do with the return of Belial and Osirus, because I'm going to pretend he's out of earshot.

Now the fact that they're talking to Titania directly... not my problem. Titania's not my character. :p))

***********************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Snowy Village

The little boy stood in front of Glenn, arms crossed. "I'm going to act out the story of the hero Noah, but you gotta pay real close attention, 'kay?"

Glenn merely nodded.

The boy raised his arms and began.

"One day, seven hunerd years ago, the great hero Noah decided to beat up the scary demon king. He had two friends who helped him too - the prist... praystus... uh... Llideah, and the knight lady Ishia. Noah went into the demon king's nephew's castle and stole a big crystal that would open the doors to the real demon king's castle..."

A voice began whispering in Glenn's head. Wrong there. It wasn't Hector who had the key. It was Valmarus.

"...so when the three of them got to the top of the castle, the big scary demon said-"

*****************************************************************
Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, Kani's Castle

"So you fools have actually arrived?" Kani's voice thundered. "Noah, didn't you say that you wouldn't let me and Llideah kill each other while you were still around?"

Noah glared at the demon. "That's why I'm here. I refuse to let you and she slaughter one another. As for this one," he gestured to the unconscious Ishia, "she was going to lead an army to help Llideah here. I just had to knock her out to prevent that."

Llideah looked horrified. "Noah!"

Noah shot Llideah a dirty look. “You brought her and her knights just to help you stop Kani. Obviously our last little ‘conversation’ didn’t get through your skull, girl.”

Kani laughed maniacally. “Delicious! The two of you turned on one another! And now to destroy the both of you!” A dark ball of energy shot forth, directly at Noah’s head.

Noah raised his blade faster than the eye could follow, deflecting the dark energy. “No,” he whispered hoarsely. Kani grimaced.

***********************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, Snowy Village

The flashback ended, but Glenn had a feeling of something missing – as if there was more to the past than he’d witnessed, but couldn’t sense it yet.

The child Noah was still going on with the “official” version of the story. “So the three of em faced the big demon king down together, and Noah said ‘I will stay with my friends until the end!’ and-“

Glenn turned away, leaving the kid to shout after him, “Wait! I didn’t tell you how they finally beat the demon!” Although the knight was curious to hear that version, he was more curious to find out what he couldn’t flashback to - and the true story of the final battle.

((And here ends my post. You people can sort out Sacryan and Belial and all of that stuff before I post again.

And no more flashbackin’ until the final battle! I’ve got an idea for it that’ll probably confuse a lot of you, and even the resolution of the past (and therefore Kani’s fate after the Great War) should be a little surprising. Have fun, people.))
 
((Wow wth...I made a really really 5 page long post yesterday and now it's not here.))
 
((Kinda like my other post that I mentioned where Kirby was useful?

Get used to it, there's a reason I left this place last year.))
 
((*sigh* I’ll try again, but that post seriously took me a good couple of hours. This is going to just be a really cruddy re-creation, but whatever…it was an important post cause it gave this story a kick in the ass going.

Parenthesis=ooc btw))


The snow fell dizzily in the gray night sky, turning and tumbling in the whistling wind. Glenn, Kirby, Belial and the others sat by the inn’s hearth (having stopped there for a few hours rest). In silence, they ate their meager suppers- which seemed like a feast after nearly three weeks of nothing but bread and dried meat. This quiet seemed infectious, for the crackling of the fire was enough conversation.

Titania gently poured a basin of warm water onto her feet, vainly trying to scrub the dirt off of her callused toes. She toned out the sounds of the women who chattered around her, and merely focused on her task- mechanical in her absence of thought.

“It’s funny that you should come on the Ides of Winter.” said one woman, pulling Titania out of her silence.

“The...Ides of…” the mage tried to repeat but trailed off, a sharp memory flickering in her mind.

“The Ides of Winter.” Another woman interrupted “It is the day of the year when the moon is at its highest point in the sky. We process to the temple of the goddess and bring candles to represent the stars in the sky.”

“It’s quite beautiful at night…” added a smaller girl “I’ve only just returned from there. With all of the lanterns, it’s hard to tell when heaven ends and when Palis begins.”

Titania closed her eyes, imagining the sight- where heaven ends and Palis begins she thought to herself, running the phrase in her head. There was something there. Some sort of clue.

“Perhaps I will offer a candle to the goddess.” She finally said, refilling her basin with water “Tell me- who is it that watches over this town.”

“Ah,” an older woman sighed “That is the goddess Ishtara- lady of the moon.”

Ishtara- Ishtar! Then this…

“Tell me- at the temple…is there a priestess?” she asked, trying to hold back her excitement.

“Not since many hundreds of years ago. They say that to hold the position now is to be cursed. Besides, one must possess The Eye of the Moon in order to be a priestess of Ishtar.”

“No one has been found who possesses the power?” Titania muttered

“No,” answered one woman “There is only ever one who is gifted with The Eye at a time.”

“You know this for sure?”

“According to town legend, my lady,” Answered a much younger girl “Ishtara had several children, around the same time as the god Domaesdaeg. The King of Heaven –Aeternitas- forced Domaesdaeg to give up his only son to Palis and so pay for a debt incurred to the mortals. Angered and unable to cope, Domaesdaeg tricked Ishtara –Aeternitas’ wife- into letting one of their own children fall from heaven. This child –this daughter- possessed an eye like the immortals, but was doomed to die. Unable to let her child leave her, Ishtara made her a priestess of the same temple in this town. Whenever she dies, she is found born again and brought to the temple…”

“…where she should spend the rest of her life…” Titania mumbled.

“It is true. She must touch mortal soil for as short a time as possible. After she is taken to the temple she should never be brought out into the world again.”

“Why is that?” Titania asked, sounding a little bit angry beneath her simple question

“It is believed that because Ishtara’s daughter was a child of both worlds, she could bridge the gap between Heaven and Palis. By keeping her off of mortal soil, they were bringing her closer to her mother, and therefore bringing themselves closer. They believed that if she could find a pure enough incarnation, she could bring the people to the Celestial Palace.”

The women continued explaining, but Titania could not hear them. She felt the blood rush through her body, and her heart beat quicker. Suddenly, it hit her- what her dreams had been trying to tell her the whole time.

“Where is the temple!?” she finally exclaimed, cutting off any conversation that might have been going on.

There was silence for a moment but then finally one woman spoke up “…it is in the eastern mountain…but you should not go there at this time of night. The snow is heavy and the wind is strong.”

“I do not fear such things,” she muttered in reply, getting up with such haste that she nearly forgot her shoes.

She rushed through the inn, slamming the door behind her with such fury that it clapped like thunder.

“Glenn! Belial! Osirus!” she cried, bursting into their room “Come quickly! We only have until midnight tonight to find Kani!”

She ran back out without waiting for them, running heedless into the cold of the mountain without so much as a cloak. Cold and snow rushing past her reddened cheeks, she hurried up the steep slopes and darkened trees, persevering even though the storm blew hard against her. There was something –some determination- that had possessed her, and made her nearly mad with focus.

Finally, though, she slowed to a stop, looking up at the tall trees, and around at the thinning forests. The others, having taken a few moments to get ready, finally caught up with her and stared with questioning (and slightly annoyed) glances.

“Ishtara!” she cried out, staring up at heaven and letting her arms open toward the sky “Ishtara aeterna! Ishtara aeterna! Damia glia! Luminous caeliestié! Harrenus lia shildé ete gasien lia vos!”

Glenn stood still, listening to her voice echo in the snowy night. He knew this language, though he had never heard it spoken- somewhere it was flowing in his blood…in his soul…and the sound of it brought to life an unreachable memory. Eternal Ishtar, brilliant lady, light of heaven! Hear your children and guide us to you. It was an old prayer- one that had not been uttered for many years passed, and indeed would not exist after that night.

Suddenly, the world was silent and even the whistling of the wind seemed to stop.

“I am your child!” Titania cried in their common tongue “One of two who have fallen from heaven! Show me the way to your temple, that I may find the other and bring him to his deserved fate!”

The ground seemed to tremor slightly, and in the sky there was a bright flash of lightning. The snow swirled off the ground, forming –in fury- a long stormy tunnel up the mountain. Without a word to the others, Titania ran on, following the heavenly guide with as much speed as her cold feet could muster.

Finally, it came into sight –a tall silhouette against a sky of gray snow. Here, the storm seemed calmer, and indeed it was as the girl promised –like the melting of heaven and Palis. This was Ishtara’s temple- this was the place where two worlds would meet.

Titania stopped, taking in the sight with breathless wonder. This place was beautiful- beautiful and horrifying, with a history of confinement and loneliness among its elegant stones. She swallowed hard, and –gathering courage- she ran down a small slope, and then up the steps toward the temple.

“The world was warmer then…” she laughed to herself as she came inside, her cold feet echoing on the stony ground as she circled herself, looking up at the carved ceiling.

The place was held up by marble pillars as thick as the trunks of ancient trees, and the ground was made up of blue and gold tiles forming a picture of heaven. Along both sides of the temple were two gutters that sloped downward toward the entrance, sending any negative energy away from the altar at the front. Ivy grew, and in places, the ceiling had cracked open- above the canopy was a large, round hole, bordered with pure gold and lapis lazuli. Titania ran forward, up the steps to the altar, but then suddenly she stopped.

There it was- that horrible water. That impassible pool that had made her miserable for so many lifetimes (if indeed the legend was true). She stared at it, unable to move- how had she gone over it before? …Gadriel…

She turned back, facing Glenn and the others who stood at the other end of the temple “Does this look familiar to you, Noah? Have you been here before? This is where you rid yourself of me- remember? Where you dismissed me as the dirt beneath your feet! Ha, perhaps you don’t remember, because it looked much different…but that is because I have not opened the way yet! You say you will have nothing to do with me, yet now you cannot advance without me! Well hear this –oh knight who holds himself higher than all of us imperfect mortals- your future depends on the one you have ridiculed!”

She turned back once more, and closed her eyes, walking into the pool until her feet rested on a golden mosaic ring- the only one on the floor. She faced upward once more, looking at the hole in the ceiling which the moon filled perfectly- only on this day of the year.

“Ishtara!” she cried once more, as lightning struck and the storm grew stronger “Ovenié lia caeliestié! Ovenié tov lia shildé! Ishtara Aeterna!”

The ground shook with a heavy tremor, and the storm rose to a climax, the lightning growing strong in the snow sky.

“Ishtara Aeterna!”

There was a loud clap of thunder and suddenly everything became light. This was only for a time, however, for in a moment the world fell into shadow.

*​

“…where am I?”

“The border between worlds.”

“…where are my friends?”

“They’ve already arrived in the other realm…you will see them soon. Come… come with me…I will lead you to the place you’ve been looking for.”

“Who are you?”

“…Caritas.”


((Well that’s not the whole thing, but my sister’s kicking me off. Don’t touch my charrie I’ll continue with her in a bit. However continue with your characters…you’re now in Kani’s realm ^^))
 
(Sorry i cant post right now, i have limited time on the computer on vacation. I'll try to post once i return.)
 
************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

Glenn, Kirby, Belial, Osirus, and Sacryan materialized in a pitch-black chamber with unseeable walls.

Kirby quickly reached for his sketch pad...

...only to find that it was gone.

His gasp was audible enough for all to hear it. Belial summoned a handful of flames to find the source of the noise.

Incredibly, the flames illuminated a mural on the far wall.

The mural depicted the lower body of demon on the bottom. However, as one followed the mural further up, it showed the demon splitting into three upper bodies - all humanoid.

Belial and Glenn let out simultaneous gasps, and Osirus burst out laughing. "Are you serious? You mean to tell me that Kani literally split into those three little brats?"

The three humanoid torsos depicted were those of Syne, Nichi, and Brian.

Suddenly the rest of the mural came into focus. In the far background there were four imposing demonic figures. One of the four figures was on the ground in the fetal position - the other three stood, focused on the gigantic Kani figure.

Near the foreground of the mural as well were four other figures. Two wore similar dark cloaks, one inscribed with a "V" and the other inscribed with a "G." There were holes in the mural where their chest were, some sort of dark liquid flowing out of them.

The other two figures were a man with a great sword and a cloak covering his face, and a female wearing white, ethereal robes.

Glenn instinctively knew every figure in this mural, and shuddered when he realized what the liquid flowing from the chests of Variel and Gadriel was.

Sacryan stepped forward, scooped a bit of the liquid onto his finger, and tasted it. "Coppery... metallic, almost. As if it were..." his eyes went wide with fear. Kirby turned green, Glenn lowered his head, and the demons exchanged glances.

Looking at the ground, Glenn noticed something... too odd to be a mere coincidence.

Beneath the four figures in the forcround were four oddly-shaped slots.

In front of Llideah was a small, round, deep hole.

In front of Noah was a wider, flat hole.

And in front of the other two... were a scythe and a pair of daggers, shoved into the slots.

Glenn felt what he had to do.

Do it do it now put the sword in then have the girl put her flute in do it now open the door come on it will be fast just put it in then come meet me at the rooftop just like you did before come on Noah you know how it ends and this time you can go on to the afterlife and that Ishia will not stop me from my goal just put the sword in Glenn then you can get some rest and not have to be this hero anymore just do it DO IT NOW!

The voice in Glenn's mind rose to such a crescendo that he could do nothing but plunge his sword into the slot in front of Noah to quell it. As that happened, he realized something else.

"He's been waiting for us..." Glenn's voice was emphatic and eerie.

"Who... how do you know?" whispered Sacryan, totally oblivious to what Glenn knew.

"Kain... Kain hath not been dead the last time." Glenn gestured to the prone demon in the background. "This mural beith not about seven hundred years ago. It is about now. And he knows that we're here. He knows we hath seen the past. He knows this mural would touch we who know the past. But Kain's death giveth it away. Kani wants us here, for whatever reason. So in coming here to kill him..." Glenn's voice dropped to a dead whisper, so that the others had to strain to hear him. "...we may have played right into his hands all along."

((I'm gonna be gone until Tuesday, but remember people, I have dibs on the final battle. I'm going to blow your minds with the final battle if I do it the way I envision it.

There's a lot of stuff we mentioned previously that we never really quite expanded upon that I've been thinking about so I plan on capitalizing on such things. Just keep the final battle open for me (both past and present) so I can do this right. Other than that, have fun.))
 
Last edited:
((Ok, but you can’t do the whole thing alone. That’s not fair! ^^. Just let me know what I’m not allowed to do

This is more a continuation of my last post as I was stopped))

“Caritas?” an image flickered in her head, as the familiarity of the name struck her.

“You don’t remember me?” he asked, and she shook her head “I fought with you on the plains of Gracia…nearly a year ago today.”

Titania stared at him, hardly able to discern his appearance in the darkness. She rose to her feet, observing his face only to realize that all but his eyes were wrapped in blue cloth.

“I fought with you? I’m sorry it was that battle you had to witness…I’ve improved since then.”

“I know.” He answered, steadily “Come, I will take you to the realm that you so desire to see.”

The mage nodded, following him into the darkness. While she could hardly see, she knew that they walked in water for she could feel it against her feet. The ground was slimy and every so often she thought she could feel the ghastly bones of long-dead creatures tapping at her skin.

“Where are we?” she finally asked, watching the man’s cloak turn in the shadows.

“I told you already. This is the border between worlds.”

“But I don’t understand.”

“This place,” he began “is what lies between Palis and the Celestial Kingdom- the realm of the gods. It is where all worlds meet and where all must pass after death.”

“It seems a bleak existence.” Titania muttered, her speech jumping as she caught sight of a ghastly face flicker for a moment in the shadows “Is this what afterlife we’ve all been anticipating?”

Caritas laughed “No, no…perhaps if you’re one of the few like me who cannot leave. Otherwise, the afterlife is something wonderful. They say it is where all you hoped for is fulfilled.”

“It sounds too good to be true.” She mumbled “too impossible. Tell me, though- why is it that you must stay here? Do the gods deny you the pleasures of paradise?”

“Not the gods,” he answered, shaking his head “I choose to stay here.”

“Why?”

“I don’t feel like it’s time to leave yet. I’m waiting for something…I know if I were to go now I would never be happy.”

“How can you know something like that?”

He laughed slightly, pulling his cloak tight around himself “I know because I see with eyes unclouded by mortal perception. The past, the present the future…all of it is the same. It’s the difference between where we’re standing and three feet away. I only have to look and I know.”

“You make little sense. But perhaps that is because my eyes are not so blessed.”

“You could see too, but it is Palis that keeps you away from true knowledge. In the mortal realm you can only do so much, but if you tried perhaps you could see more.”

“Why should it matter? What good is a seer who can only see the past?”

“Without a past you could never have a future. The elements of life lie in what has already happened- to ignore history is to forsake your very self.”

“You speak profoundly.”

“Not so. I only speak the truth.”

Uneasily, she continued to follow, watching horrifying faces pass fluorescent in the looming darkness “Will they not harm me?” she finally questioned as a cloaked lady clawed at her clothing, only to drift away as if by current “Do they not desire my blood?”

“You are wise, priestess, but they desire eternity more than they desire speech. Were they to take your blood, perhaps they would be given the gift of expression, but they would also be losing their promised reward.”

“Tell me…what reward do you desire?”

At this he stopped and turned to face her, quiet for a moment as if a child struggling to grasp a forgotten concept.

“I…” he mumbled, closing his bright eyes for a moment and then squeezing his fists as if he could catch his own words “…I desire much more than I deserve.”

“You still haven’t told me what.”

“Peace, my lady.” He muttered, taking a step closer so he could speak in a hushed voice “Peace is more than any man who has killed deserves to have. I have the blood of many children on my hands and I should not be granted what I want, but still I hope for it and wait for it…in my vision of heaven I see…I see the sea.

I’ve always missed the sea…”

“I understand you, for too was born near the waves.” She laughed slightly “I still remember walking in the shallow water.”

“It was warm at night”

“And the ground…it was always so perfect…the tide made it so.”

“It’s funny the way that the water pushes everything to where it’s supposed to be. Every grain of sand, every rock…it forms a pattern –a sequence. Something that you can’t see, but that you know when you walk on it.”

“I sense you mean to say more than ‘the tide is beautiful”

He laughed “I mean to say that everything has a place, and everything happens for a reason,” he smiled beneath his dark wrappings “Just as the sea pushes everything to place, so fate does. We can’t see it from far away, but when we experience it, we know. Everything that happened should have happened…there was a reason for it…”

He stared her straight in the eyes and waited for a response; it seemed his words had been calculated- carefully planned beforehand. Was that something he had wanted to say for some time?
 
“…how far is it to Kani’s realm?” she asked, unable to respond to his comment.

Caritas sighed, raising his hand to reach for something but then changing his mind “I…it’s like I’ve said. Past, present, future. All times and places are the same. You know the way there, you just haven’t opened your eyes.”

“If I know the way then why are you here? Is it not to lead me?”

“I am here because I choose to be- not because I am being forced to take you somewhere.”

“What have I done to you that makes you want to be here?”

He laughed and turned away, continuing to walk even though he had said he would not lead “Tell me, when you look at me what do you see?” he asked.

She stared at him in the dark, trying hard to make out some kind of feature “I see…your cloak…I see that you’re taller than I and…and you move gracefully.” She answered.

“Then you are still looking with your mortal eyes. What you see is a body…something physical. When I look at you,” he turned “I see your soul, just as I see the soul of the water we walk in, and the people who we pass. Everything on Palis is like this, but when you’re alive you cannot see it. When you still breathe what you see is an illusion- it is only the state.”

“I don’t understand…speak simply and I will try to grasp what you say!”

“You haven’t changed at all,” he laughed, his voice echoing in the tunnel “everyone has a soul, right?”

She nodded.

“Everyone has a soul, and everyone has a body. Everything…every grain of sand, every insect is made up of the same thing- I will call it a soul. This soul is the reality- the true universe. The body –what we see when we’re alive- is an illusion. It is what hides the truth of everything. This place…this is the border of life because it is where the two elements mix most- where both forms are most visible.”

Titania nodded “I think I understand…” she said “The place I’m trying to find…Kani’s Realm- is it in the physical world? Or is it part of the true universe?”

“In truth they are the same.” Caritas corrected “You have always been living in the true universe- you just haven’t been able to see it.”

“Please, don’t confuse me more.” She protested.

“Alright…Kani’s Realm lies halfway between Palis and Heaven. Kani has been able to reach the Celestial Kingdom because he is only a demigod at the moment.”

”Then he means to reach the land of the gods?”

“He means to become a god.”

“What do you mean?”

“Ages ago, Kani absorbed the energy of his sister, Isea. This was simple for him, because she had once been a part of his own- her soul having been a part of his. This initial action was to end her pain- to make sure she would live on through him rather than to suffer and disappear through illness. His intention was good, but soon he could not resist the power that he had taken in. He wanted more.”

“But how…it’s impossible to absorb someone’s soul!”

“Not impossible. If one is connected to both the body and soul –as Kani was- it is as simple as breathing.”

“Body and soul…” Titania repeated “Then…by building his fortress between the two layers of the world he means to-”

“Yes, I’m afraid so. He’s using his position to absorb the life force from those who still roam on Palis. He plans to make himself a god by feeding off the souls of others.”

“Then why- why does he need us? Why is he luring us in?”

“He knows that you and Noah hold the keys to heaven. He is only part of it. Without you two he cannot advance any further.”

“Noah? But I thought…”

“The fate stone- or the soul of the fate stone. The thing that you lost in a duel with Kani.” He said, reminding her of the scene she had seen aboard the Highwind- the fight that had occurred before she spoke with Variel for the first time in this life “It was split into two, and the half that Kani received was given to Noah- his most trusted friend. The soul still lingers with the knight even now, and it is a key to heaven.”

“Then why does he need me?”

“As Ishtar’s child you are the one who will find the lock which these keys can turn.”

“Then he does need us…” she muttered “And we’re walking straight to him.”

“There’s no other way.”

Titania turned to Caritas with quiet eyes “Do we have any chance? Any chance of destroying him?”

“You do.”

“And what about…what about surviving?”

“…” Caritas was silent for a moment, trying to answer her the best he could “…the past has a habit of repeating itself.” He finally muttered.

She lowered her gaze, staring at the ground to mask her reaction “How long do I have?”

“Two sunsets at most, and then you will find your end.”

“…you would think I’d be glad to die. I’ve hoped for death for nearly a month now, yet as it stares me in the face I can’t help but feel fear.”

“We all feel fear before we go. It is natural. Have courage and persevere, your only other option is to run.”

“I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t tempting.”

He smiled and lifted her chin “Just focus on the present. The past and the future are out of your control.”

She nodded “Your voice is assuring. Perhaps…perhaps I do remember you.”

A smile tore at his cold lips for a brief second, but he turned away, showing a pain in the action “Come, try to focus on the realm you are seeking. You’ve been there before, you need only to remember it.”

She took his hand, weaving her small fingers into his “You must help me. Come, lend me some of your power” His own skin seemed like ice against her white palms and he stared at it in curiousity when she did not withdraw.

Titania closed her eyes and thought, rifling through all of her dreams- all of the visions that had eaten away at her for nearly a year now. As the seasons changed, she saw her past melt into the rivers and fall yellow from the shivering trees. She saw Noah in the cherry blossoms of Adinem, and Variel in the fish that swam in the ocean. She saw Kani and Isea –the latter whom she had never met- and in a flash of lightning she saw Gadriel. She felt his grasp as he carried her across Ishtar’s pool, treading in the sacredness that had separated her from the rest of the world. When finally he stood firm on the other side he was no longer the prince of a distant kingdom, he was Malice.

Finally, she opened her eyes, and there before her rose the gates of Kani’s kingdom- as terrible as death. She turned to face Caritas and nearly withdrew behind him “This is where I must go? Will you not come with me?”

“My time in the realm of mortals is over. I could not return even if I wanted to.”

“Then you don’t want to?” she asked, and sounded disappointed “…you mean for me to leave you? “

“Indeed it must be so.” He answered, but drew her close, pressing his palm against her feeble stomach “I will pass to you all that is left of my life force- that you may have the power enough to defeat Kani. This spell that I give to you now will make great difference in the world. Use it wisely and know that it is my own power which I choose to give to you.”

She waited a moment as the spell passed from his hand to her own soul “You trust me with such a gift yet you claim to know me only from the battle of Gracia.”

“I did not say only”

“It is no use anyways, I know of you now. Tell me, Caritas will I ever see you again?”

He smiled though his face seemed sad “You will see me in due time.”

“Two sunsets.” She smiled slightly, tears gathered in her ethereal eyes “Two sunsets and then I will find you by the sea that we both miss.”

Kani’s realm began to circle around her, pulling her away though she wished to stand behind. His cloak billowing in the quiet wind, he watched her in the shadow, silent as she seemed to melt away.

“Thank you,” Titania whispered quietly, knowing he could hear her “Thank you, Malice.”

*​

“Glenn?”

The knight turned and saw his friend behind him, her focus spread across the disturbing mural on the wall. He said nothing as she moved slowly forward, kneeling before the daggers which were slotted into the ground. Quietly, she said a prayer to the Wind Goddess and withdrew the weapons, able to do so only because Malice's life force now flowed through her. Turning back to Glenn with a thousand silent words, she sheathed the objects and placed them the best she could in her sash. She nodded to him, falling to the back of the group without so much as a word.

“I suppose that means everyone is here…” The knight finally muttered, turning back to face the wall, his gaze falling on the old scythe “…everyone who should be here is here.”
 
Last edited:
All of this is so confusing....but I'll just have to keep up! Kirby thought to himself.

Looking around nervously, he examined his companions.

There was Glenn, the swordsman.

Titania, a priestess with strange powers...which kept getting stranger the more time went by.

There was of course, the lady warrior Syne, who was with them until recently...

And these two demons, which Kirby wasn't completely sure of, but they might as well be.

And they were all off to fight some sort of horrible person, who had seemed to do many horrible things, most of which didn't make complete sense to Kirby, though he had pieced bits and pieces together.

So...it seems everyone else has some part in this. But not me...I just wanted to find some inspiration to create more artwork!

Indeed, Kirby had been making sketches of all his companions. He seemed to have lost the sketch pad he had been using, but luckily he had also made other copies in another of his various sketchpads in his bag. Taking it out, he began looking at the drawings, as he walked with the rest of the crew down the seemingly endless tunnel.

Inside, he had made sketches of everyone he had made. They were still at good quality, even for sketches, of course, being as fast as he was, none of the rest of the party would know when he was drawing, as long as he wasn't in plain view.

There was a rough sketch of Glenn, the swordsman.

Another drawing of the warrior, Syne.

Another piece of the priestess, Titania.

Another of the two demons, Sacryan and Belial. Kirby didn't put his all into those, however...

He had also done a quick one of many surroundings they were in, the town they just passed through, the woods, and the snowy mountain. And also that mural they had inspected earlier, as it looked intriguing to him.

Putting the pad back away in his bag, he continued walking with the party.

Well, at least this whole trip wasn't boring, at least.



((I haven't really posted in awhile. Meh. It isn't like I do alot anyway. ^^; )
 
************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

As the group ascended the spiraling tunnel, Glenn could feel the "block" in his mind fading. He still couldn't quite ascertain what Noah was trying to tell him, but...

The tunnel opened up into a great empty room. In the center stood the demon that he'd seen in his dreams.

Kani smiled unpleasantly. "My generals need not be here... especially now, when they lead my army to annihilate your precious Palis!"

Glenn drew the Mastermune. The two demons grinned and cracked their knuckles. Sacryan squinted at Kani. Kirby grabbed his sketchpad. Titania unsheathed Malice's daggers.

"Fools! You'll still feel the wrath of Kani!"

A powerful dark wind began to blow around the room. Greater and greater, until the walls began to crack. Large breaches appeared around the room until the demon's wind tore off the tower above them.

Suddenly it was familiar - the top of the spire, where Kani battled the others before.

"NOW!" the demon thundered. "YOU! WILL! ALL! PERISH!" He lobbed a ball of darkness at the group, which Glenn deftly deflected.

"No."

*******************************************************************
Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, The Dark Spire

"No? What do you mean 'no,' Noah?" Kani's voice was sickening.

"You want Palis? You can take it. I care not. But you attacked me. I cannot abide by that."

"You BETRAYED me!"

"Because of her." Noah jerked his thumb at Llideah. "She turned me against you. Even now, Variel and Gadriel lie dead because of both your and her doing." He shook his head. "I should have seen it from the beginning. Even when you turned me against her... you are equally to blame for these crimes. You both deserve to rot in the deepest hells for eternity..."

************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

"...but you won't." Glenn dove at the demonic creature before them, weapon outstretched. Kani grabbed him and easily tossed him aside.

"Foolish knight, Glenn. You know deep down that Malice killed Magus. Why bother blaming me for his sins?"

"He... wouldn't have... if... not for your... general..."

"Kain? Yes, indeed. Kain did fail me, though, when Malice took him down. Unlike that nasty Gadriel, Malice had some battle skills. I did delight in destroying him as well. It was a pity to watch such a warrior go to waste, just like..."

*******************************************************************
Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, The Dark Spire

"...his father."

Llideah launched into her own rage at this, but Kani gripped her by the throat.

"Sweet sweet Llideah. Oh how I've longed to do this to you. You betrayed me far more than Noah there did. And you see his reward? He lies there, on the verge of death. Death is much too lenient for your crime. You know what must happen?" The monstrosity's claw extended.

Llideah looked Kani in the eye. "It matters not what you do to me."

"Why?" he hissed.

"Because, Kani, you've already killed me. I died when you killed him. You murdered me as well when you murdered..."

************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

"...Malice."

Lightning crashed as Kani sunk his claws into Titania's side. She cried in pain.

Sacryan rushed forward but was blasted backwards by Kani's energy. Belial and Osirus were rooted to the spot.

It fell to Kirby.

He grabbed a sketchpad and quickly drew a simple sword. It clattered to the groun and he grabbed it, slicing at the demon. A horrible shriek of pain issued from Kani as he dropped the girl. "You! It's impossible! You weren't sealed! You couldn't have been sealed! Gah! My arm! Look what you've..."

*******************************************************************
Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, The Dark Spire

"...done to me, woman!"

Ishia grinned as the dark blood flowed from the demon. She had regained consciousness as Kani was monologuing to Llideah. Ishia herself was thrown backwards, gripping the side of the tower as the evil winds blew below.

************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

Kirby and Sacryan both tumbled down into the abyss.

"You. We fly. Now."

"What? You've gone soft if you think I'm going down there to risk my neck for a couple of mortals."

"They weren't supposed to be here and you know it. That's not Kani who knocked them over. That's... something else. We're not supposed to be here either. You know what'll happen to us?"

"What happens happens and- GHAK!"

Belial grabbed Osirus by the throat and dragged him down, chasing the two falling figures below.

********************************************************************
Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, The Dark Spire

Noah had stood up by this point. Llideah was crawling away from the demon, who was still clasping his arm in agony.

"So... Kani... had enough?"

Kani glared maliciously at the knight. "Dearest Noah... it seems that both yourself and Llideah deserve death here. Continuing to put you in agony threatens my survival. So instead, I will simply..."

************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

"...kill you both now!"

Kani grabbed the back of Titania's cloak and leapt towards Glenn. He reached for the knight who raised his blade and sliced the demon a second time. Another unearthly howl escaped the demon's lips. He whirled around and hurled Titania off into the distance. He drew his own sword and began a duel with Glenn for the ages.

CLANG.

CLANG.

CLANG.

The duel raged on, neither one conceding a millimeter to the other. Lightning continued to crash about the battlefield.

"Remarkable, Glenn. You know that? You have almost the exact skill as Noah did seven hundred years ago. You know that he taught me everything I know about swordplay?" A quick thrust almost caught Glenn off guard, but he managed to catch it quickly. "Hm, indeed. You do show much promise, Glenn."

"Noah hath taught thee everything thou knowest..."

*******************************************************************
Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, The Dark Spire

"...but I didn't teach you everything I know." Suddenly Noah delivered a few lightning-fast thrusts and pierced Kani's guard. Numerous stab wounds appeared in the demon's gut, which caused him to topple.

"You... you would kill me then, Noah?"

"Llideah's already gone, I see no reason not to now."

Kani let out another sharp gasp, in an attempt to chuckle. "You think she's gone? Not with... with Gadriel's gift." He extended a clawed finger to the sky. "Look."

Noah followed Kani's finger to a white-clad figure in the sky borne of wings of electricity. "No... that can't be..."
 
************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

"...Titania?"

With Malice's wings of wind, Titania had flown back to the tower. The wings evaporated and she dove, sticking Malice's two daggers into Kani's skull, directly above his eyes. Another unearthly howl issued from Kani. "NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! THIS CAN'T HAPPEN!"

Titania slipped to the floor in front of Kani. "You've lost, Kani. Just like you did before. Now you'll die the same way!"

Kani glared at her. "You have no idea how I die, do you, girl? The one thing Llideah has kept from her host... the nature of my death... you see, girl... I..."

*******************************************************************
Palis, The Last Year Of The Great War, The Dark Spire

"...cannot die... by any means... you have..."

Llideah glared. "You killed me when you killed Gadriel, in spirit, if not in body. That's only because..." She took Gadriel's sword from Kani's head. "...the death of my body..." She turned the sword towards herself. "...is reserved for..."

She stabbed herself through, the blade protruding from her back.

"...the death of yours."

The binding of fate worked. As Llideah faded from life, as did Kani. As her vision faded, she could have sworn she heard Variel's voice.

"After our seven hundred year intermission, we'll act out this exquisite play once more, but this time the ending will change to the way it's meant to be."

Noah glanced at their respective bodies, flinching slightly. He noticed Ishia pull herself back up the ledge and rush over to Llideah's corpse. "Dead...?"

Noah's eyes were wide as Ishia blew a whistle. Almost instantly a demon appeared before her. "Yes, mistress...?"

"Spades, hide this corpse. I don't want anyone getting any ideas of bringing him back."

Spades nodded. "And where shall I hide it?"

"I don't care. Just somewhere it won't be found. I have some other business to take care of as well."

Spades grabbed Kani's body and vanished, but not before uttering a vulgar swearword. Ishia flinched and turned towards Noah.

"Yes?"

"My offer still stands, and now would be the greatest time for you to take it."

"Oh? I see no benefits from this offer, Ishia."

"Are you kidding me? Imagine the two warriors who defeated the demon lord Kani side by side announcing their undying love for one another and getting married. We'd be heroes! Royalty, even!"

"So you're using the death of one of my best friends as a springboard for your political career?" Noah grimaced.

"Try not to forget, Noah, my amies are on their way to this spire anyway. I can tell them that you killed the priestess under Kani's orders and have you executed for treason."

"But then you wouldn't be able to be royalty... not without being wedded to a king first. And you think I would become king?"

"For destroying Kani? Yes."

Noah heaved a sigh and looked Ishia in the eye. "Very well. I've spent the last few years being a mere tool for others to achieve their own gains... I suppose I will die the same way."

A week later Noah was crowned king of Palis and married Ishia, who became the queen of Palis. Not long after the palace of Gracia was constructed at the center of Palis decades later, Noah died of old age. Ishia, in her fear of mortality, had an enchantment placed such that as long as she was loved by her subjects, she would not perish from disease or natural causes. She lived for seven hundred years before being slain by Dacono at the battle of Gracia.

************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

Malice's dagger wasn't long enough to reach through Titania, so it left only a deep wound. Glenn quickly removed the dagger and pushed every last ounce of magic he had into the young woman to heal her.

Several moments passed.

Titania's eyes fluttered open.

Belial and Osirus finally returned with Kirby and Sacryan.

"It's over?"

A faint sobbing caught their attention. Glenn and Titania saw a man hunched over, crying, right where Kani's corpse was... only the demon's corpse had vanished.

"Thank you... thank you... thank you... I'm so sorry... I-I didn't mean..."

Glenn looked at the man. He seemed somewhat familiar, although Glenn couldn't place him.

Belial grabbed him and straightened him. "Nichi?"

The man shook his head, tears streaming down his face. "I... I may look like your friend Nichi, but I... I..."

"He's my twin brother," said Syne.

Titania whirled around. "Syne?"

Syne shook her head. "Nope, same problem though. I'm not Syne, and that guy isn't Nichi."

"Then who...?"

"My name is Isea. That is my brother Kani."

Glenn looked between the two. "Indeed... when Kani was evil, he had absorbed thee, correct?"

"Spot on, Glenn. See, remember how the demon Kani split into three souls? One was me, and I became Syne. One was him, and he became Nichi. And one was..."

"Me."

Everyone turned to the new voice. Brian hovered in the air, madness in his eyes. "Well well well! So you all cheated to beat me this time! You summoned the past to help you beat me in the present! I can see in your heads. I know your fears. Now watch those nightmares become real!"

*******************************************************************************
The Netherrealms, The Year Inifinity Minus One, The Darkness

"Did you feel that?" asked one of the women.

The man who looked the most like her nodded. "Let's go."

"But..." started one of the other men.

"Too bad. I don't care if you want to go or not. We have to help them."

************************************************
Palis, The Year 0 Aikia, The Dark Spire

Brian laughed as various past foes appeared about the area. Zera-Shaal, Phantasm, Dacono, Boiz, and Nidogg appeared, surrounding the group. Other demons began appearing as well. Brian floated above them all.

"Now the eight of you have lost. It's only a matter of time before-"

Things happened quickly. Light blasted away a group of demons. A scythe and pair of daggers carved a path through the demons to the group in the center. Lightning, light, sword, and shadow made the clearing a bit wider.

Brian gasped. "IMPOSSIBLE!"

Titania looked up. "M... Malice?"

Malice stood at the front of this new group, a huge smile on his face. Behind him stood Magus and a woman who looked very much like him. His sister? she wondered. And behind them stood...

"Guys?" whispered Kani.

Variel, Gadriel, Llideah, and Noah.

The five sealed souls were reunited.

"Seven, you mean," hissed Brian, reading Titania's mind. "Variel, Gadriel, Llideah, Noah, yes, but all three of the souls of Kani - Kani, Isea, and..." His face became gaunt and pale. His body stretched out and a dark cape covered his body, making him look like a half-dead demon. Two large black-feathered wings extended from his back, a mockery of an angel's. He bowed, grinning evilly. "I am Azrael."

The new seven members of the group all gasped, as if they knew the name.

"Azrael," he whispered, horrible glee on his face. "The Angel Of Death."

((Okay, this is how it is. Malice, Magus, Schala, Variel, Gadriel, Llideah, and Noah are all actually dead, as are all the old villains that Azrael brought back. Azrael brought down the barrier between life and death for this battle, so the good guys took advantage of it and came over with the old villains. After this battle all of the dead heroes have to go back to the deathside. None of these guys are bound anymore, so the past no longer applies to our present characters.

Have fun.))
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top