Basically, you nominate any character from any FF game that you want - it can be a monster, summon, villain, or character. There aren't many big limitations...
For example, under villain you can nominate creatures that were only bad guys for a short time/you never even really fought, it doesn't have to be the main villain of that game.
As such, you can nominate any character that did something notable in the game, like Cid in FF9, it doesn't have to be a playable character - but things like Generic Guards don't count.
The summons have to have been usable in at least one game though, so for you FF9 players Alexander IS nominatable, but Griever from FF8 is not, and Cactuar and Tonberry from FF8 fall under monsters anyway.
Speaking of monsters, it has to be something well-known. Many bosses will work as long as they actually did something, not like Snow from FF7. And no monster that makes me have to think for more than half a second to remember what it was - I'm not taking Geezard or Funguar from FF8, Rage Bomber from 7, or... goddamit, see, I can't remember a single one from any other game! See what I mean?
I'll also take stuff from Tactics if anyone wants to nominate them (highly doubtful, but you never know) but for the most part I'll take anything. Once again, I won't take obscure stuff or useless crud, but I will take most things.
So, to sum it all up, just as long as people will know what you're talking about, it's basically in. No obscure things. Stick to things that people will know (I'll also write a little thing in each poll matchup, so if you're confused you'll be able to figure it out). Start PMing me with your nominations!
There will be a new matchup every day of the month of May. It's a single-elimination tournament with 32 characters, so by the end of the month we'll be done. Have fun, guys.