Comic/videogames based movies

Luis

·· Fresón rebelde ··
Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
1,539
RPG Name
Deathhunter
Reading the thread about the new Marvel movies that Tiny Bronco posted, it just came to my mind something that I always think and ask the people about it: Am I the only one person who is so much dissapointed with the comic based movies? Or with the videogames based ones??
I'll put some examples:

I've always thought that X-Men movies coulh have been way cooler. I mean, I think the portrayal is very important in this kind of movies. And I find Sabretooth's portrayal really bad... I didn't like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine either... Not to say that I'd have kept the original customes for everyone. Magneto also seems to me not more that an old guy in da movie... while it seems to be much more powerful in the comics. I also disliked that it they didn't fight a single sentinel (kay, in the third one and virtually...) and Gambit didn't appear there either!! :o :o :o And I'd love to see a good fight between Wolverine and Sabretooth, not that ****.
And they'd have chosen a cuter girl for the role of Rogue XD

Spiderman... The first movie is like, meh. XD But there in the 2nd one, one thing that offended me... Spiderman takes his mask out in the tram. And he doesn't care about it. Great. And then what? He takes high efforts to hide his identity, which sometimes gets himself in trouble (with Mary Jane, for example XD). But no, in the movie is like: 'You know what? I'm so 1337 that I can take my mask out if I want to.' ;ang That's not 1337 Mr.Director, 1337 would be a faithfull representation of the comic!!!

After this I only decided to see The Punisher and Fantastic Four, which I found both were quite good. There're few others, such as Hellboy, which I liked a lot.

And what about videogames based movies? Most of them are really bad. Well, definitely Alone in the Dark is the worst movie ever. Resident Evil is really bad too. I won't type anything about the Street Fighter movie(feat. Jean Claude Van Damm), 'cuz they're at the same level Alone in the Dark is. Not to mention Final Fantasy: the Spirits within, which is not only based in any of the games, but also is a very bad movie.

I need to ear something...
DANG! I feel much better now. XD
See ya later!
 
A good point you've drawn to my attention Luis is that movies that appear are before its video game/comic is MUCH better than the vice-versa. Probably coz of the limitations of the real world

As for some movies, yeh i was disapointed by spiderman 2 (especially the obvious mistakes), and I agree that X-men could have been made even COOLER than its comics but it didn't turn out THAT bad, i think it missed out alot in the fights especially exploiting more the mutants abilities, and tnx for the rogue tip coz i feel disapointed when they switched actors coz it makes u feel less connected to the movie (Ex: Sonya + Raiden + Jax + Scorpion + many others in MK1 & MK2), the exact opposite is Fantastic 4 which i didn't expect THAT much creativity in the fights while i wasn't impressed with the rest which made it mediocre in my view

And no one would imagine my shock and sadness when i found out that The spirits within got nothing to do with ANY of the FF series much less even any of their branches!!! And most of the movie was too dark to see and everyone dies in it which didn't help making it any better!
 
Last edited:
Yesh... X-Men could have been way better. I like Slider's viewpoint: It wasn't THAT bad XD Well-put! How about DareDevil??? The way they did his 'hearing' power is pretty sweet, but that didn't make up for the movie in general. I HAVE TO DISAGREE w/Luis as far as Resident Evil goes. I think that that series is definitely 1337! X P

...especially with Extinction set to release on my birthday ---> it's going down!
 
DareDevil was mediocre IMO. Yes, the 'hearing' power was cool, but that's about it..

I did like the Spiderman movies (yes, both, but more the 1st), and I like the first 2 X-Men movies too (haven't seen the 3rd yet), am I the only one who like them? lol. Then again, I have hardly ever read any X-Men cartoons (maybe like 1 magazine), but I did use to read and watch a lot of Spiderman as a kid. I tend to like movies even if they don't hold 100% true to their books/cartoons/games more than most ppl, I'm usually not so fanatic that "everything has to be 100% correct or the movie is crap". Sometimes I feel like people take that a bit too far..

Fantastic 4 was not bad, much better than my expectations (which were low).

As for game-based movies.. Resident Evil wasn't a top movie, but I still didn't find it that bad and the 1st movie is probably my favourite among all game-based movies. The 2nd movie was a slight disappointment though.
 
I did like how they showed DareDevils hear/seeing thing in the movie, but beside that it wasn't to swell. X-Men was pathetic compared to what could have been done with it.
The Punisher movie was just a lot of viloence.
Basically I agree with Luis.
 
Video game based ones=Fail.

Comic ones=Not so fail.

Directors don't bother reading millions of comic books to make a perfect movie. XD Nor do they play games to find every nook and cranny, to make a perfect movie.
 
ShadowHeart said:
DareDevil was mediocre IMO. Yes, the 'hearing' power was cool, but that's about it..

I did like the Spiderman movies (yes, both, but more the 1st), and I like the first 2 X-Men movies too (haven't seen the 3rd yet), am I the only one who like them? lol. Then again, I have hardly ever read any X-Men cartoons (maybe like 1 magazine), but I did use to read and watch a lot of Spiderman as a kid. I tend to like movies even if they don't hold 100% true to their books/cartoons/games more than most ppl, I'm usually not so fanatic that "everything has to be 100% correct or the movie is crap". Sometimes I feel like people take that a bit too far..

Fantastic 4 was not bad, much better than my expectations (which were low).

As for game-based movies.. Resident Evil wasn't a top movie, but I still didn't find it that bad and the 1st movie is probably my favourite among all game-based movies. The 2nd movie was a slight disappointment though.

It's not that it's fanatic or not... but I mean, I can't find it logical. If you're having problems with your girlfriend 'cuz you wanna keep ur identity secret, why do you take out your mask on a public transport??? Just that XD
But I think they should keep the story as faithful as possible. I think this factor in Spiderman was important enough for not being considerd.

reasoniamalive said:
Yesh... X-Men could have been way better. I like Slider's viewpoint: It wasn't THAT bad XD Well-put! How about DareDevil??? The way they did his 'hearing' power is pretty sweet, but that didn't make up for the movie in general. I HAVE TO DISAGREE w/Luis as far as Resident Evil goes. I think that that series is definitely 1337! X P

...especially with Extinction set to release on my birthday ---> it's going down!

XD
Well... it could have been way worse, as Alone in the Dark was.

Slider I can understand how you felt when you saw Final Fantasy The Spirits Within XD

I just love the way Hydra summed up the stuff with a:
Hydra said:
Video game based ones=Fail.

Comic ones=Not so fail.

Man, that's just 1337!! XD
 
I liked The Spirits Within. XD

Most people looked at it to be based off of Final Fantasy, and were disappointed. XD

I just looked at it as a movie. And it was pretty average.

<3'd the music though.

Video games do fail a lot more than comic ones do.

Why else are the comic ones in theaters? =D
 
Man, seriously? Have you checked out the artwork and other designs for the actual transformers? Geez, they're going to look like formal aliens (with mutation-like design), NOT THAT THAT'S A REALLY BAD THING, you know, 'cause dang, Transformers are not just robots, they're something in between, but the design for this movie nonetheless, is imo butt-butt-unappealing. =o
 
Avathar said:
Man, seriously? Have you checked out the artwork and other designs for the actual transformers? Geez, they're going to look like formal aliens (with mutation-like design), NOT THAT THAT'S A REALLY BAD THING, you know, 'cause dang, Transformers are not just robots, they're something in between, but the design for this movie nonetheless, is imo butt-butt-unappealing. =o
Dang, that just turned off whatever love I had for the movie. ;_;

Thanks! =D
 
XD. Ha, s'okay. XD

I figured it would suck, but dang, I barely know the movie, so we'll see. =D
 
No, Luis, you're not the only one dissapointed with those movies. I never found a movie I liked made after a book.
 
Because you have your own ideas of how things in a book should look when pictured (because you pictured it all as you read the book, just like everyone else). It's downright impossible to satisfy every fan with a book-based movie, I'd say if you satisfy even a single fan you've succeeded. If you go to watch a movie based on a book with the attitude that every detail in the movie has to be exactly like you pictured it when you read it (called interpretation, of which there is basically a separate one for every person in the world), you'll always be disappointed. I choose to not compare the movies to their originals so much (as most people seem to anyway), and I have found I continuously appreciate this kind of movie more than most of my friends. It's all about attitude.. Yes there are always some things that can't and shouldn't be changed when directly basing a movie off a book/cartoon, but IMO they don't have to hold 100.0000% true :p
 
Last edited:
That's why books are way better than book based movies, that's a universal truth! XD
But I still think they must hold things as faithfull as possible!! >.<

Oh, I forgot. The X-Men theme should have been the cartoons one =D
So kewl!! XD X-Men
 
Luis said:
That's why books are way better than book based movies, that's a universal truth! XD

Books are better than any movie, IMO XD

Luis said:
But I still think they must hold things as faithfull as possible!! >.<

Have you read The DaVinci Code?

Have you seen the movie?

omg... they basically wrote a new crappy ending!
 
LMAO!!
I finished reading another book (the best one I've ever read XD ), and the day after I started with The Da Vinci Code. It didn't like me so much the way it was written, and in one week and a half the movie was gonna be played in theaters. Thus, I decided to stop reading and just watch the movie XD Lots of people told me that it was faithful more or less, but that things happened very fast.
 
It is completely diferent! The ending was not like that, in the book.

And there were two of those cryptex things, one inside the other.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top