Cutting

Slider said:
lol, yeah u wanna talk bout depression? i don know either of my parents until know, or any of my true family members of course
That means your depression should be greater than mine because?
Doesn't matter anyway, If that family member did happen to come back then he certainly wouldn't be welcome in my life anymore, I'd tell him to get out myself.
 
Last edited:
I'm not talking about anyone here in the forum, but...

Does anyone else think that lots of people like to say "My depression is greater than yours!"?

It's like if it is a good thing. o.O
 
Luis said:
By the other hand, I've gotta say that comparing problems isn't a good idea. I mean, how big a problem is depends not only on the problem, but also on the person.
 
Doctor F I suggest stoping your self-mutilation because it'll lower your self-esteem and quite possibly leave scars. I'm speaking from own personal experiance. Haven't done any self cutting in a long time though.
 
In my personal experience cutting is a mental help because if you are in pain emotionally ect. it is a pain you can control it makes you feel like its something you can control in a world that you cant. No it is not a long term solution and it is dangerous but it is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LAUGH ABOUT OR MAKE FUN OF. And that is what i saw happening and it really pissed me off. I understand where Faust is comming from and if one of your personal friends came to you and said what she did if you treated them the same way you did her i would not be suprised if it got worse.
 
Maybe it was the use of the term 'retarded'? Not that I'm picking a fight here, I'm just saying that it could be taken that way. I took the term as if it were coming from someone who merely didn't understand.
 
Last edited:
Well noone called him retarded.. they said the act of self mutilation is retarded, but that's not the same thing. It's easy to say that I guess, but I'd think that people doing this are too depressed to care or realize. Also, shoving it in their faces, couldn't that possible make things worse actually?
 
Last edited:
ThroneofDravaris said:
Not entirely true. Cutting causes endorphins to be released in the brain which can result in brief bouts of euphoria, temporarily relieving mental anguish.
From a long term prospective though no, I doubt cutting is going to make someone feel better.
I'm going where he posts, just to bold the intellectual that he is. =O

And Kat, not to make you mad, but get a grip.

Life can't be so bad that you find satisfaction by cutting yourself to make the pain go away. For a LITTLE WHILE, at that. It's completely stupid. Everyone gets depressed, moody, and have those times where they just wish they could die. Solving the depression for the moment and not long-term isn't a good thing to do.

(INSERT ADAM AND ANDREW LYRICS HERE)

Sorry, I had to do it. <.<; ^.^;;

Anyway, yeah. If you don't have the mental ability to fully deal with the problem now, and not pleasuring your mentality pleasures for the moment, then were's the self-esteem you get from cutting yourself? It just makes you feel good about yourself because of the stimulation it gives you from the time you do it.

It doesn't feel that way a few hours later. Your cuts scab over, and EVERYONE notices. Then you feel the urge to do it over and over, and you're mentally ashamed of yourself that you can't stop. Of course, you CAN stop, it just feels to good to at the time of need.

I say lay off it. There's a lot of ways to relieve stress and depression besides physically cutting yourself, and doing a hell of a lot of damage to everything about you. Go get a squeeze doll! Punch something! Kill an animal! Okay, maybe not that last one. I don't care WHAT you do. As long as you feel happy afterwards, and it didn't include self-mutilation, it's the way to go.

In other words, this wraps up what most other people said. XD
 
There're lots of people with problems... all kind of problems. And sometimes you can't see further 'cuz the problem is in front of you, that's why I'd suggest again: ask for help when you need it! It may be hard to do it... but then it'll help you much more in the long term!

Now Jake... what was that about killing animals? O_o
XD
 
ShadowHeart said:
but I'd think that people doing this are too depressed to care or realize. Also, shoving it in their faces, couldn't that possible make things worse actually?

I think you just answered that question yourself there:

if most people who're cutting are too depressed to care or realize, would they realize the reactions other people'd give to them? But in any case, anyone could hardly call self-mutilation healthy, mentally or physically, like ThroneOfDravaris said: mentally it aids them, but those are then just brief moments of daily relief.

Then again, shoving it in their faces, well, if things do get too drastic, they need to get a drastic wake-up-call, facing them with what they're doing to themselves.
 
Just wanted to add that I only ever did a little bit of cutting. I suppose self-mutilation could be used to make yourself feel better, as mentioned in someone's earlier post (feeling to lazy to see who said it.) I mean it seems plausible seeing as how people can do so many other things that can help them emotionally.
 
Reading all of these responses has told me one thing; self-mutilation can leave physical scars, and emotional scars that you may live with for the rest of your life.

I've already known this, and I know it IS retarded, and it IS a stupid and unreasonable thing to do when you're upset, but at the time when I first started, I felt as if I COULDN'T talk to anyone about my feelings and problems, that no one would listen or really understand, so I just took it out on myself.

I cut yesterday...and bled more badly than I had before. The pain, I realized, wasn't pleasant anymore; it was like hell, burning so much i had to clutch myself to dampen it. But the mixed feelings of physical and emotional pain are hard to deal with, and I was just so afraid, so very afraid...

And I sicken myself now, for at this very moment, i still want to cut. I want to do it again. I'm just disgusted with myself, after going through all of that pain in one night, that I want to go through with it AGAIN.

When people talk about depression, this sort of act is usually associated with it. So I wonder; why the f'ing hell can't I see that I can deal with my depression some other way? Why can't I take out my violent mood-swings on something else besides myself? (Not other people, of course.) Why can't I just constantly keep myself busy with something else? Why don't I go talk to an adult, a counselor or a shrink?

These are all obvious solutions, and yet I don't bother with any of them. And, stupid as I am, I have no idea why.

People cut themselves for a number of reasons, but none of them are as obvious as the solutions presented for solving the problem. I believe that anyone who dos it has a certain reason that cannot be explained in full, even if it IS an obvious one (which contradicts what I just said, but, oh well.)

And cutting DOES give you a sense of control...it is like a freedom that never existed before that you now have, a freedom to control the amount of pain that you have. But I know that it does not fix your thoughts entirely; when the pain finally fades, your original focus on why you're depressed in the first place comes creeping back into your mind.

Some don't know why they are depressed, or why they are really doing it; their minds are just lost, and have no clear direction. Something triggered the urge to injure yourself, and you don't know what it was.

I'm not in that sort of situation, though; I just have pent-up feelings, about the people around me, my future, and everything else that affects/will affect my life, and I'm just so scared of it all. Godammit, I need to f***ing get a grip, and grow the hell up.

I realize everything, and I still want to cut. I'm so f***ing sick of myself, so disgusted with the way I'm acting...And I'm also disgusted that I turned this post into a "oh it's all about f'ing me" rant. God, all I was supposed to do was add another opinion on everyone else's opinions, because this topic is about the act of cutting ITSELF, not f'ing me.

I'm going to shut up now....
 
You know, Faust, I really think you should try getting help. I'm someone who knows about depression and all that first hand, so I'm not speaking out of some type of ignorance. And it is just advice (but good advice I think, of course). If you're worried about the money factor, it's not really a problem. I always thought it was and it was probably the main reason I suffered so long. Just so long as you go to a facility in your county, you should be able to get something under grant. You might just have a problem talking, I can understand that. It is hard. I just pray everything turns out all right for you.
 
Doctor Faust said:
Reading all of these responses has told me one thing; self-mutilation can leave physical scars, and emotional scars that you may live with for the rest of your life.

I've already known this, and I know it IS retarded, and it IS a stupid and unreasonable thing to do when you're upset, but at the time when I first started, I felt as if I COULDN'T talk to anyone about my feelings and problems, that no one would listen or really understand, so I just took it out on myself.

I cut yesterday...and bled more badly than I had before. The pain, I realized, wasn't pleasant anymore; it was like hell, burning so much i had to clutch myself to dampen it. But the mixed feelings of physical and emotional pain are hard to deal with, and I was just so afraid, so very afraid...

And I sicken myself now, for at this very moment, i still want to cut. I want to do it again. I'm just disgusted with myself, after going through all of that pain in one night, that I want to go through with it AGAIN.

When people talk about depression, this sort of act is usually associated with it. So I wonder; why the f'ing hell can't I see that I can deal with my depression some other way? Why can't I take out my violent mood-swings on something else besides myself? (Not other people, of course.) Why can't I just constantly keep myself busy with something else? Why don't I go talk to an adult, a counselor or a shrink?

These are all obvious solutions, and yet I don't bother with any of them. And, stupid as I am, I have no idea why.

People cut themselves for a number of reasons, but none of them are as obvious as the solutions presented for solving the problem. I believe that anyone who dos it has a certain reason that cannot be explained in full, even if it IS an obvious one (which contradicts what I just said, but, oh well.)

And cutting DOES give you a sense of control...it is like a freedom that never existed before that you now have, a freedom to control the amount of pain that you have. But I know that it does not fix your thoughts entirely; when the pain finally fades, your original focus on why you're depressed in the first place comes creeping back into your mind.

Some don't know why they are depressed, or why they are really doing it; their minds are just lost, and have no clear direction. Something triggered the urge to injure yourself, and you don't know what it was.

I'm not in that sort of situation, though; I just have pent-up feelings, about the people around me, my future, and everything else that affects/will affect my life, and I'm just so scared of it all. Godammit, I need to f***ing get a grip, and grow the hell up.

I realize everything, and I still want to cut. I'm so f***ing sick of myself, so disgusted with the way I'm acting...And I'm also disgusted that I turned this post into a "oh it's all about f'ing me" rant. God, all I was supposed to do was add another opinion on everyone else's opinions, because this topic is about the act of cutting ITSELF, not f'ing me.

I'm going to shut up now....
When I read the bolded part, I realized that you're in a pretty deep hole.

You probably feel like that even though you CAN seek therapy, you'll probably just get the urges anyway, right? It's not exactly a comfortable topic to discuss, is it? Even if it's not, you NEED to braven up.

But, you're right, you don't need to draw attention to yourself. So if you ever need anyone to talk to about anything, PM any one of us who is up for it.

So, anyway...

I have tried cutting myself before. But, y'know, I'm just a huggable care bear, so I never brought myself to go that deep. I got scared by the fact I was actually depressed enough to try it. Didn't really have that sarcastic, self-control mood I normally have. Depends on the problem, really. ^^
 
^ Well, I'm happy that you've never done it, Hydra. Don't ever try.

I read over my last post, and I realized that I said a lot of stupid things.

1: These are all obvious solutions, and yet I don't bother with any of them. And, stupid as I am, I have no idea why.

Correction; I have talked to my closest friends about it, and they all told me to stop, and since thursday I have been able to refrain from doing it. But if I can, I HAVE decided to seek out some other help, most likely a counselor at school.

2: And cutting DOES give you a sense of control...it is like a freedom that never existed before that you now have, a freedom to control the amount of pain that you have. But I know that it does not fix your thoughts entirely; when the pain finally fades, your original focus on why you're depressed in the first place comes creeping back into your mind.

Correction; You can't really control the amount of pain you have to the extent that you aren't feeling it anymore--by the time that happens, you'd already be dead. And I noticed that, while I'm doing it, I still end up thinking about what makes me do it. But That's just me.

3: (In the beginning of my last post;) self-mutilation can leave physical scars, and emotional scars that you may live with for the rest of your life.

Correction; Maybe not for the rest of your whole entire life. After all, you can live a pretty damn long time, and you may eventually just be having too good of a time to worry about it anymore. But, it's still a good, washed-up and used-too-many-times moral for this situation.

I wasn't thinking rationally (or in a more sophisticated manner, like I normally do,) and I got carried away...

But do know this, people; for those of you who have self-mutilated, never do it again, and for those of you who haven't, don't even try.

I could also easily say the same for alcohol, smoking, etc., but i won't try to be the boss of any of you over those things (I have had my share of having some times of underaged drinking. @_@ ) I'm just worried for all of you, now...I don't want anyone to have to suffer through any kind of pain, even though it is always inevitable...

Thanks, and please, continue, if you may. I won't rant on here anymore...(promise this time!)
 
Its fine Faust sometimes talking is just what you need to do and to everyone I argued with what do you say we just move on and forget we ever fought i dont really want to hold any bad feelings on this board.
 
Zerlina said:
Sounds like someone needs a girlfriend

Do you?? :eek:
XD lolz

Glad to know you see the things more clear now...

It's not a good way to avoid problems, as well as drugs or alcohol aren't either.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top