ffXII real time? WTF?!

Zeromus_X

Summoner
Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
2,931
Age
98
Location
Core of the Moon (Phoenix, AZ)
RPG Name
Neo Zeromus_X
(yes, yet another new thread today ;) )

anyway, i just read in game informer that ff XII is gonna have a real time battle system. i, for one, am dissappointed. id think that a real time battle system would be better for a game like the musashi series , for instance, but not for ff. neverthe less, i guess this wont stop millions of fans from buying it, im just really dissapointed. this is why, in my opinion, ffX was the last real, good final fantasy made.

thoughts? (also, where does this thread go? i put it in other video games, as to not overshadow other busy threads.)
 
I don't see a problem with it. There are RPG series that have handled real-time battles really well. The Grandia series and the Star Ocean series especially come to mind for me (since I have played them). Have you played any of these games? To be honest with you, the Star Ocean games are the RPGs where I've had by far the most fun fighting, spending time leveling up or getting money. Easily.

I don't understand why you would judge it before you've tried it. The FF series really could use something new for once.
 
You fight in real-time. Instead of having all characters standing on one side and the enemies on the other just watching each other and you only get to act whenever a time bar is full, all characters and enemies move around freely on the battlefield, all moving and attacking at the same time.. much more like a real battle than just going through a menu selecting what to do. Hence, real-time battles.
 
i dont have a problem with other(rpg) games, i meant, that i just dont like the idea of an ff game being real time.(especially one with a number.) i know theyre trying to try new things, but id just think itd really be better like a classic game. still, its going to be a popular game, since it is a final fantasy :p . but, i have played a few very fun real time rpgs. (like musashi and KH) , but im just an old school gamer :) i guess im just more comfortable with the classics...but dont get me wrong! i dont have anything against real time rpgs, im just surprised that theyd make the new ff like that...thats just me though.=)

also, i read in the magazine, the writer predicts that after ff XII, fans will be divided by the classic gamers and the people willing to accept changes. do you think this will happen? :confused: it seems like something to think about...

re star ocean: my friends talk about this game all the time. ill see if i can find the games on that list...
 
Last edited:
Well I still say you should give it a chance and play it before you judge it so harshly :)
 
Well, I'm in favor of it, as I like both the classic and real-time styles. Also, I don't think that the gamers will be split after FFXII. The fans of the FF series should show more loyalty than that.
 
It would be boring if all FF's where exactly the same for traditions sake, I think it's nice their experimenting with different battle styles, the FFXII battles are a lot like the kind you see on MMORPG's (and you can set the battle system to wait mode you do realise?) :)
1up.com recently provided the world with a nice and detailed account of the English demo that will be coming out, packagded with the new Dragon Quest for it's American release.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145629&did=1
 
I would prefer to battle the usual way.....party on a side.....that way GFs,party magics& items don't miss......
 
I am not a fan of realtime. That wont stop me from playing a game which is realtime though. I am stuck in my ways when I say that rpgs should be turn based.

I took me a while to get into crystal chronicles but it won me over eventually.
 
Final Fantasy XII is an amazing game. I wouldn't go as far as calling it the best, but its up there. I think it was a huge success for the people who stuck with it... A lot of kids in my school hated it and only played the first 5 minutes.. Never even gave it a chance to develop. :(
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top