Global Warming

I'm going up to Chicago for the weekend as a school field trip!!! My parents told me that about 20 years ago in Cincinnati were I live it used to get down to 10-20 degrees normally. Now if it were to get that cold our school would close even if there wasn't any ice or snow. 30 degrees is as cold as it gets now and thats not to often.
 
I heard an interesting theory on the radio a week ago.

Ten thousand years ago there was a surge of global warming (earth's temperature increased 20 degrees in 50 years) caused by the loss of the earth's magnetic field. This happens when the magnetic poles reverse, the field dissipates and then reforms but while this is happening all of the sun's rays beat the earth that are usually blocked by the magnetic field. It eventually becomes stronger until it peaks and then weakens in it's cycle.

He went on to say the affects it would have on all of our electrontic devices and such. It's a good theory IMO.
 
I'm telling you Spiff that if Earth's magnetic feild goes away Electronics not working will be the least of Earths problems. Solar winds and UV light will fry the Earth. Unless any living plant or animal can adapt to these new amounts of radiation, that are normally blocked, in 50 years nothing will survive. Maybe deep sea creatures, some bacterias, and those of us lucky enoff to get into fall out shelters would survive. Thankfully, It takes several millions of years for the Earth's core (what creates the magnetic feild) to completely flip over switching North and South. So half off that is when the magnetic feild will dispurse. I think we're safe. :rolleyes: :D
 
Global warming is natural. we are just speeding it up, dont worry if we piss off the earth we will sut go back into an ice age.
 
Lets not hurt the planet.. I can hear the planet's screams! It's as if it's saying "I'm suffering".. ;)
 
ShadowHeart said:
Lets not hurt the planet.. I can hear the planet's screams! It's as if it's saying "I'm suffering".. ;)



...ironically - it's not that far from the truth. -_-;

Has anyone seen the documentary by BBC called 'The Planet'? Now, I'm not advertising for them or anything, but this program definitely opened my eyes to a LOT of what I believe 'Industrialised' economies are very slow to catch onto. EXACTLY HOW VALUABLE OUR PLANET IS.

For example...in the US there was several news storying a short while ago about a large population of bees simply dying-off...and no one knew why. What would the price tag look like if all the bees in the world simply perished. MOST of the pollenation of flowering plants is done by these insects - entire harvests would be lost unless mankind took the initiative and stepped in...and that's just ONE species.

Or kelp...the most abundant mass of life on the planet roams the oceans surface. One oil tanker capsizes and the solution for all that oil is to 'dilute' it...yet the kelp eat photoplankton that absorb the oil. Other fish/sea creatures feed on the kelp and you know what....by the time it gets to say......a swordfish - there's a million times the concentration of the amount of oil that was in the water that fish swam in in it's system....based off of what it ate while it matured.

Global economics, overpopulation, under-/incorrect conservation, deforrestation, perhaps...but I would venture to say INCLUDING global warming are all linked and the common bond is man. I feel a strong responsiblility to protect and nurture the world that we are all apart of. My definition of 'success' used to be very Hollywood-driven. But now I realize that success doesn't mean owning a $50,000 car, living in one or two $1/2 Million dollar homes, having a lot of friends or even having a good job. My definition of success means being able to provide for myself (one day hopefully a family) and 'providing' means nourishing meals, shelter and clean water to drink.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we all need to go to the desert, dig a well and live as monks the rest of our lives...I'm not going to do that anyway. But I'm suggesting we all rethink and mastermind to maintain and even BUILD-UP the world and stop letting society tell us what success means and where to find happiness. ;han
 
....yeah, and 'survival of the fittest' only goes so far.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to afford my own home in Michigan...or live & work at the camp I've been visiting this past month. I'm still exploring my options, but I don't want to live in the city any longer. I really loathed coming back yesterday. I didn't want to leave the wilderness. = (
 
Yeah, weather in Chillicothe, Ohio is extreme, extremely hot, hardly any rain, droughts everywhere, then BOOM flooding in the northern part, it's insane. the ice caps are melting, causing mass fresh water to leak in the salty oceans, reducing the conveyor which un-oxygenates the water, creating a canfield where hydrogen sulfide bacteria will occur, then it will release poison into the atmosphere, killing plants and boiling the earth pretty much.
 
Maybe we should invent an entire new vehicle. Or we could all just ride bikes, or use motorcycles...SOMETHING that isn't as harmful to our planet as those big gas-guzzlers.

But the main problem with cars is the fuel...we need to find a new fuel source as quickly as possible--we can't live off of underground oil forever. We're going to run out eventually, even if it takes another hundred years or so for it to run out.

Maybe we could just go back to horses and carts. It may end up that way--you never know.
 
Maybe we should invent an entire new vehicle. Or we could all just ride bikes, or use motorcycles...SOMETHING that isn't as harmful to our planet as those big gas-guzzlers.

But the main problem with cars is the fuel...we need to find a new fuel source as quickly as possible--we can't live off of underground oil forever. We're going to run out eventually, even if it takes another hundred years or so for it to run out.

Maybe we could just go back to horses and carts. It may end up that way--you never know.

Not that I'm an expert about the subject, but I recall reading diverse news every few days about new ways to reduce fuel consumption and/or alternating it. Examples ranged from hybrid motors (part electirc/ part fuel dependant), organic fuel (refined from plantations), and I recall japan manufacturing a completely solar depending prototype vehicle which can go a maximum of 8 hours without sunlight.

Additionally, I believe that Africa's energy resources will suffice the world for much more than 100 years (more likely a millennium) seeing that so many countries -such as Somalia- are literally floating over undiscovered oil.

But yes, somehow I share the same belief that before the world will end mankind will -forcefully- go back in time.
 
I am in partial agreement with the Somalia...other contries w/undiscovered oil...but still - with all the polution that comes out of gasoline-powered vehicles, it means a LOT more to the environment that we stop using these types soon. Not only will we deplete the suppy/ozone, but the destruction that may result from the wars to supply our economies will be HELL. 'We need oil - your country has it - WE'RE gonna take it.' O__O

I kinda like the Chevy Volt concept car - but (essentially) its still dependent on fossil fuels (last I checked it takes coal to power generators and make electricity, right?!) Oh well....Solar might be the way to go. Unless we can figure out a garbage/sh*t powered engine. =3
 
I think it caused by solar events like the sun heating up since the temperature of the sun is not constant and also caused by humans.

I also notice a lot of `green` products are being advertised these days, so global warming can be a way for more people to buy more green products.
 
Lol.

We're too addicted to oil.

The only way we're going to stop using it the way we do is for it to be gone.

And by the time that happens, the Ozone layer will be ripped a new one. xD

I'd like to see solar-powered cars.

Which some people use, but aren't mass produced, I don't think.

Edit:

I have the answer.

Horses and buggys.

=D
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top