Having a "Side Project" Forum

Catalyst

Black Mage
Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
281
Age
38
Location
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Website
www.myspace.com
RPG Name
Catalyst
For the past 2 - 3 years, I've been involved with forums that I've both made, and been a part of. Right now I have a forum for BIG. Right now it's not active because we don't have any titles (yet) released.

What I was thinking overall - not just myself, but any site, was having an "extra" side project. Kind of like how Sega has Team Sonic (correct me if I'm wrong), but they're still related. In this case, lets say there's forum "x" based on a specific project / subject, like ffnet for instance. Now lets say ffnet dies completely, but some dedicated members are still posting. Now lets say Shaggy wanted to keep busy with both ffnet and another forum / site. So he creates forum "y" based on a generalized topic, such as games. So ffnet isn't running well, but then forum "y" becomes active. While forum "x" is still in a stale state, people will (hopefully) come to it, and maybe Shaggy would create a redirect so people can visit and see what's up with forum "x".

What are your thoughts? It was just an idea that I was thinking about for my forum right now.
 
So, in other words, make two fourms, have one die out, and let the other become overpopulated. Then distribute them out so they're even. Right? =O
 
Errr not really. I wouldn't want either to die out. I'd like at least one to be busy, and keep updating the one that's the "main focus". But hopefully people will still check the other one for updates to see if the game(s) progress(es) are going well. Kind of like (hopefully) have people dedicated. Hmmm what's a good example...

You decide to start making a game. You create a forum. During the progress of the game, that forum is slow, but you want people to stick around, so you create another forum. They (hopefully) join that forum. Meanwhile, (hopefully) people still check in to the other one. The game is going well, so they go back to that other one, and maybe both. :)
 
So, you create a forum, and it almost dies out. That makes you create another one, that's really popular.

By that time, you either redirect them to the old one, so both are alive and well, or have that one alive one, and still have the old one unchanged? I'm not too sure where you're coming from. XD
 
Okay I'll use my stuff as an example.

My site, Broken Image Games is a company-in-development. We have a forum, and we are currently developing a game at this time. The forum is very slow right now, and all the activity is in the hidden area.

While that forum is very slow, I'd like people to still stick around and check things out. So I'd like to create ANOTHER forum for people to talk about things, and every once in a while pop back into the other one and see if there's updates. So while progress on the game is happening, members are still in the other forum too. So eventually and hopefully, both forums are active.
 
Which is what I'm saying. XD Only minus the company part. =D
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top