I need your ideas.

Arkacia

Paladin
Member
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
805
Age
62
Location
Australia
Website
cresmoon.com
Occupation
Cat Wrangler
RPG Name
Sasami
As you've all no doubt seen, the forum is losing activity. We all need to put our thinking caps on and try to brainstorm some ideas to get things here interesting again to bring the old people back, and new ones in through the door.

Some things I've thought up, or seen posted in the admin/mod secret area are..

New forum areas for other games besides FF.

Getting rid of the Spamtastic forum, and replacing it with an IRC instead. You can all chat to each other on that in real time. That will keep the forum for proper discussion subjects that encourage people to post.

Updating the forum, and finding a new, and hopefully better, version of the RPG.

So, let me know what you all can come up with. All ideas are welcome, don't think something you think up won't be accepted. There is no such thing as a stupid idea :).
 
;ang

... :o

I disagree. Just because a forum is larger doesn't mean they are more or less successful than FFNet. We are a success. Hands-down. The only time you fail is when you don't get back up. We haven't even really 'fallen-down' either. So what if a few people leave - we'll go on because we have great members and staff, we care about the forum and FF WILL NVR DIE! Muahahahaaa.... ;arf
 
well...
we could update and advertise the forum,lol.
but Arkacia's idea sounds kinda fun =D
and a new PRG as she mentioned that should help a little too.
these aren't the only ideas i have lemme think some more then i'll post some more.
8D
 
If the activity (or lack there of) here wasn't considered a problem we wouldn't be posting in a thread about increasing activity on the forum.

Really, merging with another forum is the most practical way to fix this problem. Replacing the spam forum with IRC is nice for the members who already post on the forum but it's not going to pull more people in or lure any people back. The vast majority of forums have such features now days. Updating the RPG isn't really going to increase activity on the actual forums. Sure, you get 'gil' or 'exp' for posting or whatever but that sort of thing only ever breeds nonsensical spam posts, something this forum has more then enough of already.

The only way to get more members is to give people something they can't get on any other forum. EoFF has a large userbase, many of them (although not nearly enough) capable of creating genuinely interesting discussion topics. FFShrine has rather lax rules, leading to a casual (if particularly hostile) environment in addition to being packed to the brim with music downloads. Advent Children Forums has a URL name that by default will provide it with a lot of hits. What does FFNET have to keep people here? Well, not a lot: thus the lack of activity.

At the end of the day, the best way to attract more active members is to, well, have more active members. Obviously, this is a catch 22 situation, but merging with another forum is a way out of this and the only solution that I can be bothered to think of.
 
If FFNet does not have such things (as in other Forums) to attract members, it will have to find one. If there are STILL members in here, that's for some reason. So, there's no need for a merger.
You don't have to bother thinking of this either, I don't think you may contribute with positive feedback.
 
I think, if anything, we'd merge as a last resort, when the forum is REALLY dying. I.E., most of our major members and staff leave. Even then, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I completely agree with Ark also, but I suggest we keep Spamtastic, as well as get an IRC chat. For a lot of reasons, really. The most easily seen one in time. The IRC will get pretty boring if there's no one to talk to on it, and hey, not everyone's on at the same time.

The more variety forum categories we have, the easier it'll be to be noticed. 'Cause, y'know, ANYTHING can get in Google. So, the more we....well, basically advertise and give variety to our forum, the easier information will be transferred to Google. So when anyone searches a specific subject, we'll be one of the first links/hits on the page.

A improved RPG hack would be good. =D I don't see a lot of people using it anymore. I do from time to time, but it's terribly boring, due to no new monsters to fight, since it takes a lot to level up enough to unlock them. That's why I made the thread in the Feedback and Suggestions forum.

So, yeah. I just agree with everything. :D
 
Luis said:
If there are STILL members in here, that's for some reason. So, there's no need for a merger.
People stay on forums where they are familiar with the other members. Familiarity isn't going to help you recruit people.
Luis said:
You don't have to bother thinking of this either, I don't think you may contribute with positive feedback.
What exactly was 'negative' about my suggestion? It is, at the very least, guaranteed to get host of new members.
 
Oh, sure familiarity helps! =D
No hostile environment means it's a good environment, thus a place to recomend to friends. It's not difficult to fit in here...
About that feedback, I didn't mean to offend you actually! XD
You don't seem to care much about the Forum (about the members either, indeed)... thus I thought about no positive feedback.

But I keep thinking that it is not a good idea. It is like, if all the 'minor' Forums merged with a larger one, because they're not so big. Merging with another Forum is like... giving up the actual one.

And I'm not giving up. ^^
 
Luis said:
Oh, sure familiarity helps! =D
No hostile environment means it's a good environment, thus a place to recomend to friends. It's not difficult to fit in here...
About that feedback, I didn't mean to offend you actually! XD
You don't seem to care much about the Forum (about the members either, indeed)... thus I thought about no positive feedback.

But I keep thinking that it is not a good idea. It is like, if all the 'minor' Forums merged with a larger one, because they're not so big. Merging with another Forum is like... giving up the actual one.

And I'm not giving up. ^^
Im agreeing with Luis on this one :D (Braveheart baby!!!)
But in seriousness adding an im section and keeping the spam would be a good idea i agree with hydra and revamping the RPG could not hurt at all. I also agree with you that maby we should add some more specific sections for some different games other than FF.
 
Luis said:
Oh, sure familiarity helps! =D
No hostile environment means it's a good environment, thus a place to recomend to friends. It's not difficult to fit in here...
People don't see that sort of thing when they look at forums though. What they do see is a site with few active members and not a lot of discussion topics.

Luis said:
About that feedback, I didn't mean to offend you actually! XD
You don't seem to care much about the Forum (about the members either, indeed)... thus I thought about no positive feedback.
I was not insulted. It's true that I have never really developed any real fondness for this forum, however that isn't to say that my suggestions to improve it are thought up arbitrarily, nor with counter-production in mind.
Luis said:
But I keep thinking that it is not a good idea. It is like, if all the 'minor' Forums merged with a larger one, because they're not so big. Merging with another Forum is like... giving up the actual one.

And I'm not giving up. ^^
It wouldn't be a whole lot different then this forum taking on a variety of new members and staff.

If you are keen not merging with another forum then an alternative (although perhaps not as effective) solution would be to make a front site. Most of the more popular forums have detailed information on most of the Final Fantasy games such as walkthroughs and character data. Often, people originally visit these sites for FF information, then eventually begin to explore the forums later. Since FFNET does not have frontsite it is eliminating this potentially lucrative demographic.
 
It feels so good to be quoted so many times... XD

But again, you didn't say anything I didn't know in your replies.
The fact that there're many other bigger forums does not mean that this one is going to die soon. There were already big forums last summer, when Hydra, Kat and many other members joined the Forum.

Luis said:
And I'm not giving up. ^^

Anyone else has more ideas? :)
 
Luis said:
The fact that there're many other bigger forums does not mean that this one is going to die soon.
I don't expect this forum to die soon at all. More likely then not, this forum would continue along with the handful of members that still come here for as long as Shaggy is willing to maintain its existence. If I thought this forum was a complete lost cause I wouldn't suggest anything. No one would ever be willing to merge with a forum that has absolutely nothing to offer.

And I realize that members are still joining this forum and actually staying, however this doesn't seem to be at a rate higher then people seem to be leaving or becoming only partially active.
 
All forums face a down time or slow period as some like to call it. This is the summer season in the Northern Hemisphere. This is usually where most of the inactivity of the entire year will come into play. People hit the beach, are out for longer hours, and just aren't at computers as much. If you're worried about the down time, don't. It's summer. It's a trend that happens in ALL forums.

Anyways, one thing I've noticed about most successful forums is that they have a main site attatched to it. This forum is a lone standing one, which means it has a forum only. When you go to places like gorrilla mask, they have a main site with lots of content. Then they have a forum behind it. The same goes with Photobucket.

This is not to say that a lone standing forum can't succeed, because it can. I've seen it happen. But what I suggest is a gimmick of some sort. This is a Final Fantasy forum, so I know content can be limited though.
 
Place to post your fanfics, because mine don't fit in the post amount, um oh and an rpg section for people like me who rpg online! >.> god knows I need MY kinda rpgs. Maybe a section were we can talk about things WITH PICTURES!
 
I really like the front page idea, and we have looked at that in the past. Both Shaggy and I however haven't done anything about actually doing it, obviously, but it is high time we did.

Yes, now I think it is time to get more on offer for visitors including walkthroughs, information ect. Make this more than just a mediocre chat forum. That will help attract new members, and give current members something substantial to add to the site.

Keep the new forum rearrangement/addition ideas coming. New games being catered to is something I think we not only could add, but should. Especially with new games constantly being released and becoming populour.
 
It wouldn't bother me if spam tastic disappeared cause I think most of the threads suck, but I like that idea of a chatroom.

I think the mods and administrators should be more tougher on these nonsensical posts I have been seeing lately. That may make it more pleasant for people to read if they dont have to read rubbish.
 
dappa said:
I think the mods and administrators should be more tougher on these nonsensical posts I have been seeing lately. That may make it more pleasant for people to read if they dont have to read rubbish.

Amen to that.

That's honestly why I took a short hiatus from here. There was a lot of immature
"LOL HAI"
"HAI WAT U DOIN?"
"I B ON FFNET"
"LEIK ZOMG ME 2!!!1!!"
like posting on here. I just thought when the member grew up a tad, I'd be back.

I'm not saying that as in this forum needs me, because it'll be the same whether I'm here or gone. But that puts off a lot of members.
 
Liek...no wai! RLY?! zOMGosh! XD!

Totally. I got totally frustrated (and no offence meant here) with all the k/j-pop threads, pics, and 'zOMG no way! Gackt!!! *dies*' posts littering our fair forum.

Then the 'anti-Asian' revolution started....<_< yeah - that was not cool at all.

I think that the Spamtastic section is great - I've told the mods and admins that I get my 15 mins. of laughter/day there. Sometimes silliness isn't bad at all...but I believe there is a responsibility that all of us as members have to keep insensitive, nonsensical posts out of ANY part of the forum....Use common sense when posting something on the forum.

This is a huge reason why my post count has gone wai down. I just won't comment on certain threads/discussions because it's flat-out ridiculous conversation. This will only get worse - I fear - with a chat option. Yes, this forum has some awesome members who keep it alive and make it fun; it also has the bottom 20% that aren't so fun (and you'll have that anywhere.) 80/20 rule.

Lastly: a few thoughts... I like the chat option overall - good way for us oldies to hang out and not blitz the spam section. I like the idea of a 'front page' with more options. Ie: Tabs for - Chat, forum, Walkthroughs, Pics, Members, More info about FFnet, Join, What's new, etc. It will look and BE more up-to-date. Lastly - I hope we never merge. We don't have to and WON'T if the trend continues...one last thought. Square hasn't put out a 'great' FF that's not online-based for a while. I think that once they do the FF forums will be more-alive again. I'm not sure what all we can put together for 'advertising' like Hydra spake...but it sounds good to me.

~Fin~
 
darkshadow2247 said:
All forums face a down time or slow period as some like to call it. This is the summer season in the Northern Hemisphere. This is usually where most of the inactivity of the entire year will come into play. People hit the beach, are out for longer hours, and just aren't at computers as much. If you're worried about the down time, don't. It's summer. It's a trend that happens in ALL forums.

Anyways, one thing I've noticed about most successful forums is that they have a main site attatched to it. This forum is a lone standing one, which means it has a forum only. When you go to places like gorrilla mask, they have a main site with lots of content. Then they have a forum behind it. The same goes with Photobucket.

This is not to say that a lone standing forum can't succeed, because it can. I've seen it happen. But what I suggest is a gimmick of some sort. This is a Final Fantasy forum, so I know content can be limited though.

*Nods head, totally agreeing*

Content shouldn't just be confined to Final Fantasy, though; it should expand to anything Square Enix. At least, that's what I think.

Extended game sections would be a good idea...I don't think that anything in Spam should be changed, though....I don't think that a live chat there would make much of a difference. It might even be more of an annoyance to some people, believe it or not.

I've always wondered, though; what's the difference between Forum Games and the spam section? maybe those two should be merged together. I don't see the point in keeping them separate.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top