Martial Arts Styles

Kiera

Princess of Capoeira
Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
177
Age
44
Location
FL
Occupation
BVC
RPG Name
Kyra
Martial Arts

Does anyone in this forum do any form of martial arts? I am currently taking:

Tai Chi Quan/Yang
Capoiera

I have learned many others in my life, but they are not important right now lol.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Well I don't , but when I get out of school I will try and take it up.
 
Re: Martial Arts

I've done some Tai Chi too, and I always wanted to learn Capoeira! XD
But Capoeira isn't a Martial Art!! Is it??
 
Re: Martial Arts

umm yes it is. If you read the history on it, you'll know. Capoeira was a slave martial arts, the slaves in brazil danced so the masters wont know that they are performing martial arts, they would have knives on the bottom of their shoes and when they did one of the moves it would cut and kill their masters,because the master would think they are dancing for them. Capoeira is a very family like martial arts and also a graceful one.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Have never tried a martial art, never ever. I know that it is good training but I'm going to stick with athletics :)
 
Re: Martial Arts

Well which type of athletics? Sports wise? Because some martial arts have been turned into a sport by breaking it up. Such as free running and tricking. I do tricking at the moment and I think all of them are athletic XD.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Oh, this school year for the 1st time I've heard the term "free running".

For those who haven't heard it yet, it's a sport that consists in you going around running and jumping and doing tricks and stuff.

Isn't it right Kiera?
 
Re: Martial Arts

Yes you are correct but the main aspect of it is that its not just "stuff" its buildings, they give you a course in any given city and you must run through it and who can get through the course the fastest and cleanest will win. There are also one where you must do tricks on it, like the aerials (which are super easy for girls to do but not men since we have a better lower center of gravity than you men lol) anyways, yes you are right. You sohuld start tricking also, that is what I do with my brother when I come home from work. Here are the basic tricking moves:

540 Kick
Butterfly Kick
Aerial
Fron/Back Flip or Tuck
Double Leg

once you learn those you are a beginner ^^ yay.
 
Re: Martial Arts

naa you just need prerequisites of each move.

540 is an advance form of a tornado kick which the tornado kick lands with the non jumping leg (the tucking one) but the 540 lands with the same leg you kick off of.

Aerial - You need to know how to do a cartwheel before attempting this, its a cartwheel without hands

double leg - just a side flip with legs sticking up in the air

butterfly kick - horizontal in the air and kick both legs out

the flips you all know ^^.

Its not so hard for me since I am a girl, our grav. are better than yours ^^.
 
Re: Martial Arts

no , then it wont be a side flip, it'll be a monkey flip, in which the prerequisite for a monkey flip jumping and dragging your legs, I forgot the term of it though. Here is one of the combos that I love to do:

Inside Crescent Kick -> Hook Kick -> 540 Kick -> Monkey Flip -> Cheat Gainer -> Flash Kick and then stop with a round off into a back flip then end with a front flip after you land.

The gainer is a running forward back flip but the cheat gainer is a diagonal back flip. Flash kick is a kick with a backflip together.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Kiera said:
Well which type of athletics? Sports wise? Because some martial arts have been turned into a sport by breaking it up. Such as free running and tricking. I do tricking at the moment and I think all of them are athletic XD.
I suppose Track and field is the right term for it ;) I do longjump and sprint and those kind of things.

You seem pretty good at that, never really tried it myself so. And if I do jump around it is over stuck or things like that, or jump up stairs with as few jump as possible. Never trained to do spins and stuff like that so would problably have a hard time doing spinns with kicks. I can however at least do a 540 spin when just jumping straigth up and almost a backflip. But the backflips are usually on a mattress cause I do not feel confident enough to do it without it yet :)
 
Re: Martial Arts

lol, I don't mind where I do my back flips, its not hard to do one, I can do 2 back flips in the air at once if I start with a round off but If I just stand still I can do 1 1/2 lol. Well a 540 spin is easy lol, now add the kick andhope you don't shatter your shins because of it. T-T it happened when I first learned it lol. Anyways, You might be stiff on torquing that's all, I can do 3 full spins vertically in the air.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Like I said, it is not something that I do alot so I am naturally not very good at it... :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Martial Arts

Well I don't beleive there is a natural at anything, its if you condition for it, I mean the nerdiest kid in your school or college that you may attend can become one of the leading athletes if he is dedicated enough. All he has to do is learn the techniques and condition.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Kiera said:
umm yes it is. If you read the history on it, you'll know. Capoeira was a slave martial arts, the slaves in brazil danced so the masters wont know that they are performing martial arts, they would have knives on the bottom of their shoes and when they did one of the moves it would cut and kill their masters,because the master would think they are dancing for them. Capoeira is a very family like martial arts and also a graceful one.

I knew the story, but the part of the knives! lol
It still does not seem to me a Martial Art, but hey! I'm not into it, so...... (and I don't wanna search about it, or at least right now!! XD )
Once again, I'd love to learn XD
 
Re: Martial Arts

how do you define Martial Arts?
 
Re: Martial Arts

LOL I guess I can't XD
But if you want I can explain you the factors to be considered when expanding a business XD XD lol
Well, I though all Martial Arts came from the East (Asia and so) Kung- fu, Haikido, Taekwondo, Karate, Jujitsu, Kendo... and so on. (sorry for any spelling mistake when naming them XD )
So, correct me if I'm wrong. :)
 
Re: Martial Arts

You are correct and wrong at the same time xD. Anyway's, Most Martial Arts branched off of Wushu which was China's orginal Martial Arts. All of Asia use to be China until they started breaking up into groups of which you see today. Even Japan. Anyways, Not all Martial Arts are from Asia. Capoeira for example is a Brazilian MA. Martial Arts are not made only for defence but for discipline in the user. Its to define how much the family knows in the old days. Capoeira is a Martial Arts because it was made to rebel and used for self defence. We see MA as a sport nowadays. Even Ninjutsu was made by farmers and mostly every other MA. They were mostly all made from either slaves or farmers, trying to escape the political order. Ninjutsu, which most might be interested in was formed because the Shogun, the only people who had command over the Samurais, were either destroying or killing the people's land or people, not all though. The samurai was one of the most high ranked people in Japan, not everyone in Japan liked that so they escaped into the mountains to train and what you see today as the Hayabusa of Ninjutsu. Just to let everyone know, Ninjas barely kill, they only kill when needed, so those movies and such you see most of the time, aren't really accurate. Ninjas were more of spies than anything else, they only killed if they were caught.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top