Martial Arts Styles

Re: Martial Arts

lol
I did know Capoeira comes from Brazil, and that it was practiced by slaves too.
However I didn't know the rest XD
Good to know it :)
 
Re: Martial Arts

=P no prob. if you have any Questions just ask me ^^;. I will try my best of knowledge to answer.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Kiera...if one was truely a beginner, what MA would you suggest going into. I really...REALLY need the self-discipline associated w/the MAs.

I do have an edge though. I can already do a standing 540 cause I was an aggressive inliner back in da day - mostly street, but some vert.
 
Re: Martial Arts

That is good you do know about Verting and 540, just hope its a clean one. Anyways, I started out with Kenpo. I also did Tai chi as one of my first but you really have to be dedicated on that. Try to take the anime styles (Kung-Fu). Maybe you might like anything but Karate <.< I dislike that style so much.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Hapkido is a nice style, anything besdies Karate xD, and no not "Kah Rah Tee" Its Kah Rah Teh
Anyways, That style hold 173 Pressure points I beleive, out of the 700, I know 538 Pressure points, 3/4 of them are Accupuncture points, no I am not a massager, or anything like that, do not even think about it. -_-
 
Re: Martial Arts

Kiera said:
No I am not a massager, or anything like that, do not even think about it. -_-


... :rolleyes:

DANG!! :p

Oh well. Thanks for the imput (again.)

There is a place down the block from my house that's been there for like...25 years or something. I've been thinking about it, just haven't been committed enough to walk in and say "Yeah, I'm the new guy...can you kick my @$$ please...I'm tired of being a whad of cookie dough." :D :)
 
Re: Martial Arts

Well to tell you the truth before I went to any classes my mom/dad/brothers taught me.
Mother: Hapkido , Judo , Jujutsu , Tai Chi Yang/Quan
Father: Tai Chi Yang/Quan , Wushu
Brothers: Tai Chi Yang/Quan , Wushu

Well my first day in class, guess the teacher wanted me to spar with the other students, so we started point sparring, and first it was these kids I was the 4th or 5th to go, I went up against a young boy, (Just to let you know I was little myself), I beat him, 3 points to his 0. Then It was another person's turn, then later the teacher put me up against a old person, around his 40's, He has been taking the class for a while. I beat him -_-, I could not beleive how slow he was. Either I was fast or he was slow, either one, I won -_-. We never came back to the school, since I told my parents they took me to another one.
 
Re: Martial Arts

I took karate until i was a brown belt and then quit. I didn't learn a SINGLE thing the whole time. Most of it was defensive and a lot of it would phail if used on the streets. I've always wanted to learn a more aggressive type of karate though, it seem like a lot of fun. What are some types of more offensive Martial arts that can be found here in America?
 
Re: Martial Arts

The thing is, most of the things learned in America isn't good lol, even break dancing, I mean most of them aren't good because they don't know the difference between locking and popping. They don't know how to break to the beat. The really good onces are everywhere else aside from America, like Asia or UK.
The thing is,when you learn a style, most people cannot apply that in the streets, I mean they might look nice and such and people might not want to mess with you when they see it first hand but never in combat. The thing is no matter how high you are in rank, it doesn't matter if you can't apply it. That is why I choose martial arts that do not require belts but hard work and training.
 
Re: Martial Arts

I see. So what would you reccomend to somebody living in america, who wants to learn an "applyable" martial arts? Or is their basicaly no hope.
 
Re: Martial Arts

lol, there is hope xD. Try to take something that interest you, I do not know what everyone would like, all Martial Arts, start out basic just some require a more advance field such as weaponary, but you are aiming for the basic art, so just try anything that doesn't have to deal with weaponary until later, the staff is the basic weapon ^^b
 
Re: Martial Arts

I've always been a fan of martial arts and all that good stuff, but their isn't much around me except places aimed at children. Hopefully when i can move out (1 more year... ^^) I'll be a little closer to a martial arts place.

Thanks a lot for the tips. =)
 
Re: Martial Arts

Intresting links...but I don't think that the staff is necessarily the basic weapon...
 
Last edited:
Re: Martial Arts

Boxing is more of a conditioning sport, and Judo, if you take that, they usually add Jujutsu into it also, since they are similiar in many ways. When I took it, it was fun ^^, I liked it a lot. Also, I did not say it was the only basic weapon, the staff are one of the easiest forms to learn for anyone. What other basic weapons can you think of?
 
Re: Martial Arts

Generally this the first time I hear about combat basic weapons for martial arts...unless it meant hand to hand weapons and excluding advanced weapons...
In any case, here are some weapons that are more commonly associated with martial arts...

For example: swords, blades, nunchakus etc...

As for weapons that have been used since a long time and are also basic weapons varying and mostly are close range combat weapons, for example other than those mentionned here are some of these weapons: Whips, Gloves/claws, maces etc...
 
Last edited:
Re: Martial Arts

I thought that only boxing and fencing used weapons :S (gloves and 3 different sword types, respectively).

I'm not gonna talk about bows, because there are plenty with those, so I exclude them from my above sentence :p
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top