Martial Arts Styles

Re: Martial Arts

Many other weapons were associated with martial arts, some were unique...I only said about the more widely-used ones...
 
Re: Martial Arts

The hand gloves, do you mean Cestis? Also, The reason why I say it is a basic weapon, because it is considered a basic form when learned. When you learn the staff, it branches off into the wide range of the Butterfly Form of the Sword and other forms of the sword. Also, when you mean blades do you mean Sabers and such? Sword just widely ranges into other long bladed weapons. What I am trying to say is, that sword is a category not a weapon. Like if you ask someone, which Martial Arts do you take? Not do you take Kun-Fu and Martial arts? The person who asks that is completely clueless. Also, I know in the olden times or era, they used various weapons, but it started with Pitch Forks and farm tools before they became real weapons then people started learning techniques for them and the staff was of the most basic since they do not require much or no money and can be made within a minutes. Also, Just like learning to do math, you must know the basic forms of it, such as + - / *. They are all basic things to remember correct? But later on you will learn how to use them in various ways, even using numbers to make pictures, such as in Physics. Same as the staff, there are more than on weapon that is basic to learn to go on to another weaponary, Sword is more of an intermediate weaponary, if you are going to take a weapons class most of them require you to have some prerequisite of some sort and being able to be flexible enough.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Each weapon requires different skills to use it (including staffs)...you just can't compare it and say the similiarity in usage makes a certain weapon a basic one...

I'm not an expert about martial arts but from my experience I know that commonly used weapons in different forms of martial arts include : Swords, staffs, and nunchakus...and each one of the weapons requires different skills even if someone is learning just the basics of the weapon's usage, that can't be substituted...

That's because there are too many points that can completely change the weapon's required skills, here are the most important ones : Dimensions, weight distribution, blade, weak spots (This isn't too important if you're going to switch to a weapon of the same category)...all these general examples differ widely between any weapons (sword and staff if you want) for any usage (Martial arts or duels)...

Also you can't really tell how the most basic weapons were since they originated from different places at different times...even most of the weapons don't have a standard clear form of developement because of this...

From what you know some used their farm tools...but somewhere else, swords and other blades (by which I meant different types and forms of swords, knives, daggers etc...) were remodeled even at earlier times...For example pitchforks are very late designs (for farming or military use in general) compared to many other weapons like those I already mentionned...in short not all weapons originated from farm tools -or any other tools- at all...

In summary I agree that anyone should learn the basics of the weapon s/he is using, but you should doublecheck your source about weapons origins as well as accepting that learning a weapon's basics can makes you ready to use a similiar one in a completely different category...(if you meant swords and staffs in a specific way, then there's still a big difference between them)...
 
Re: Martial Arts

I know where you are getting to, I am saying that Staff is a basic weapon, as to the 3 segmented staff. And such >.> You're practically agreeing argueing with me >.>.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Kiera said:
I know where you are getting to, I am saying that Staff is a basic weapon, as to the 3 segmented staff. And such >.> You're practically agreeing argueing with me >.>.


...but at least he is co-operatingly agreeing arguing w/you. :D

Its all one's perception of 'basic'...kinda like Clinton's infamous "...can you describe: sex?" LOL!

I view staves/nunchaku (sp?)and swords all as basic (entry level) weapons. Depending on one's preferrance. ie: someone preferring close-quarter combat would use the Sai while another person, favoring distance melee would want a bo.

I would think a spear or javelin would be the next knotch up...followed by a weighted trident or something...you get my point.

...so I'm a noob :p
 
Re: Martial Arts

I would like some food now xD, I am hungry lol. Anyways, So, I am wondering has anyone ever picked on or got picked on before? Sorry for asking xD
 
Re: Martial Arts

lol, you being bullied or doing the bullying?
 
Re: Martial Arts

I get picked on a lot. I've always been an alone kid, I sit by myself, keep quiet in classes, I'm an alone person, and being that way always ends up in being picked on. I don't care much though, as i am used to it.
 
Re: Martial Arts

not that you should be annoyed by it, shows you are more mature than they are, that is wrong what they do to you. It is good you are able to keep your temper and such.
 
Re: Martial Arts

I was constantly picked on in H.S. Man, those times were tough! A word of advice: FIGHT BACK!!! You may get clobbered, but the cost of not standing up for yourself is worse...trust me.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Staircase said:
I get picked on a lot. I've always been an alone kid, I sit by myself, keep quiet in classes, I'm an alone person, and being that way always ends up in being picked on. I don't care much though, as i am used to it.

Stair's words are my words too (unfortunatly), except that I had a true friend that I could count on in my class. Oh boy, was I mistakened >_>
 
Re: Martial Arts

Oo, I never really got picked on but, I do know some people who have, I usually just talk it over to them, and the people who are messing with them for some odd apparent reason <.< Didn't come to school for a few weeks XD, not because of the Asian connection <.< I have. Naa jk lol.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Well... most of the people (almost everyone) respect me, but sometimes they pick on my friends, and that's when I can't stay still, watching. I'm a quiet guy, with an important role in my friend-group, and my actions are always the most unexpected.
 
Last edited:
Re: Martial Arts

I have always been respected also, just not all of my friends as well and when they do get picked on , I am not the one to stick with the winning group, I don't care if the person I am helping is a "dork or w.e" If the people do not like me for who I stand up for then they should not be my friend in the first place, I should be able to choose my friends without anyone saying "Do not be his/her friend or I wont be yours"
Good thing that was years ago.
 
Re: Martial Arts

xD thank you. Also, I cannot wait to go exercise after work today xD.
 
Re: Martial Arts

Update: I recently had my first Hapkido class this past Monday! Wow! I didn't think I would learn so much my first day. This is going to be awesome... 3 years to black belt -> or so they say. I'm going to try my best to get there sooner though.
 
Re: Martial Arts

reasoniamalive said:
Update: I recently had my first Hapkido class this past Monday! Wow! I didn't think I would learn so much my first day. This is going to be awesome... 3 years to black belt -> or so they say. I'm going to try my best to get there sooner though.
We can't mess with you now!

You'll beat us up. =P

Tony Jaa makes me interested in martial arts. He does his own stunts. o_O

Imagine Jackie Chan, only twice as better, and he does all of his stunts. =D
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top