Racism as a factor in Katrina aftermath

If they took what they needed for survival, then I wouldn't have a problem because their goverenment wasn't much help. Stealing plasma tv's? You don't even have electricity. :rolleyes:

I would either have stronger levies built, or raise the city above water level (which won't happen).
 
Sorry about my double post, I forgot I can also edit it :p
About the topic, I think I said almost all I had to. A town near mine was moved to a safer area after a flood we suffered..but I also must say this town is a really small one. In the case of New Orleans, I think it will probably be rebuilt in the same place.
 
I don't understand, if any of y'all don't have a religion, then what's your basis on life and what prevents you from doing wrong things?
2nd: I don't understand why citizens refuse to leave the city, is it because they want to catch disease and die from all of the sewage? They must not be educated or right in the head, there are 10,000 people doing this, I'm an American with a dream.
 
Did you seriously not know that there are people out in the world who are not religious? You seriously need to open your eyes if that's true. In any case, just because you don't believe in a god or any other higher being, doesn't mean you don't have morals and ethics.

And the second thing.. some people refuse to leave the city right now because they are afraid of losing whatever they have left to looters. Before the storm hit, some people didn't leave because they couldn't afford to or they were simply unable to (old, sick people for example). After the storm hit, you couldn't leave the city even if you wanted to, until the evacuation really got under way, and I guess some criminal elements remained to take advantage of whatever was left :/
 
Shadowheart is right. People don't need religion in order to know how to behave or what to expect of life. I think religion is an alternative to people who may be afraid of feeling alone or who need some other supports in life. I was grown in a religious education, but I think it's really good to be able to choose when you grow up and start thinking by yourself. :) And about this:
Andrew Scaves said:
I don't understand, if any of y'all don't have a religion, then what's your basis on life and what prevents you from doing wrong things?
People basis on life is their education. And religion is (or may be) only a part of this education. Lots of people don't need(neither do I) religion in order to know if they're doing wrong thing. This is ethics. And I don't like a religion telling me whether my actions are good or not. I think I already can do it by myself. Anyway, it's really hard to distinguish what is well-done or what's wrong for so many people.
But again, the basis for that is in the education, and I think education has nothing to do with religion(it's my point of view). Being honest, I'll tell you that people who think their beliefs are the true ones and do not accept neither respect other people's beliefs, make me sick. :mad:
And I could keep typing about it, but I don't want to bore you neither to waste time. I hope this may guide you to the light...oops, I meant to understand other ways of thinking are as good as yours! :p
 
Andrew Scaves said:
I don't understand, if any of y'all don't have a religion, then what's your basis on life and what prevents you from doing wrong things?
2nd: I don't understand why citizens refuse to leave the city, is it because they want to catch disease and die from all of the sewage? They must not be educated or right in the head, there are 10,000 people doing this, I'm an American with a dream.
Andrew, you need to get a little more info on the NO deal before you go screaming about these people being idoits. Like Shadow said, that is the reason. Get a clue of what is going on in the world before you say anything about it. ;)
 
Well I can understand why Shaggy thought that Andrew Scaves. "Not right in the head" and "idiot" do mean pretty much the same thing ;):).
 
Anyway, Reports are that the water will be gone by the end of the month. I keep hearing that people want indictments, but it seems a bit stupid to take people away from the relief effort to just put them in jail. They should at least wait until the job is done.

I thought I'd share this... They are .... so black.
 
What is that supposed to mean?(the link) and to comment on racism, id think that humans had gotten over that by now. i mean, its the 21st century, we need to get over this ignorance...maybe someday... :(
 
Zero, I don't think it will ever end. There are just to many racist people in the world today. There will always be differences in the world, racism, belief, anything. Its sad but there is nothing that anyone can do to change it, well not in the near future.
 
Zeromus_X said:
What is that supposed to mean?(the link) (

I don't know what it's supposed to mean, but I thought it was too funny that he said that on live TV.
 
The whole issue is just showing us how many problems there are in the world. While some stupid idiots are stealing, killing, and whatever, everyone else is suffering. Personally, I think the laws should be much stricter. You get to stay in a cell with free food for a year or two? What kind of lame punishment is that? Rubbish. Also, what Lyde Lyde and Andrew said about the population thingy, it does have a ring of logistics to it. It's sort of like," If you don't know what's pain, then you don't know what's joy. Without anything to compare what you have with, you don't appreciate it." Of course, I would have preferred for less people to have died, but the lesson was for the Americans (and everyone else) to be more prepared. There are too many problems in this world, and the people who can afford to help all to much aren't helping enough, and the people who can't afford to help at all are helping to much.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top