I've tried using RPG Maker before. It takes far too long to get anywhere with it, it's a nice little program, but I just don't have the patience to keep at it long enough to actually put a whole game together. =\
Maybe I'll try the new RPG Maker sometime soon... but I doubt I'd finish anything again.
The RPG Maker program has been available for download to PC for many years already, and it's not that big (~20 MB if I recall correctly). There are also newer version of it out for PC, the latest being RPG Maker 2003. I'm not sure on the legality of downloading and using them, but I'm sure it'd be a heck of a lot easier to work with them on your computer than on your PS - not only because you have a keyboard and a mouse, but also because you can download extra graphics (or make your own in a paint program) easily and use, and the same thing with the music. The only real downside to it is of course that you can only play the games on your computer (as far as I know), if you consider that a downside.
Just google on it and you should find info on the different versions. There are also other RPG making software for PC, and I know at least some of them are free to download and use as you please without having a bad conscience over it
I think RPG maker is legal to download. I found lots of reputable sites with it available in its various versions.
Have downloaded it (need it to play the freeware Final Fantasy Final Nova). Problem was I could'nt work out how to launch it as there was no exec file in either RPG maker or the FF game.
When I last checked up on this stuff, RPG Maker 2003 was illegal to download, but the earlier versions were okay to download and use as much as you want. But that may have changed, as it was a couple of months ago..
I downloaded the RPG Maker 2000, and it was ok. Didn't look at the later versions because the game I wanted it for needed the 2000 version, so you could very well be right about 2003 being illegal.
I've been working on a game in rpg maker too (FFnut and I are sorta doing a similar thing). I worked on it for a month or so, and now I'm drawing like mad to finish all the faces and charsets, then there's probably going to be a lot of coding cause I want to make a CMS. Oy...
Hey, I saw a guy who ripped the charsets straight from Chrono Trigger. Sixteen-bit graphics and everything. It runs on 2003 also. I have them if anyone wants them (although I only have Crono, Marle, Lucca, Frog, and Robo).
I've seen the charsets (and environment sets) from various game being downloadable for earlier versions of RPG Maker, I think Chrono Trigger was one of them, and FFVI.. but I'm not sure how good they were as I didn't look that closely at them
Charsets are easy- you just get a template and draw them in pain. Flat colours, shading, and you're done. It's the facesets and battle sprites that take forever.
And hey, if the 256 colour thing bugs you, download Ultimate Paint. It can trick RPG maker into thinking you're using 256 bmp when really you're using more colours.