It's pretty great. Some would say it's story isn't the best out of all the FFs, but it features a fully rehauled Job System from FFIII. It's gameplay can be one of the funnest out of all the series. I'd definitely give it a shot.
Four. Unlike the other FFs, your party remains static (no changing or alternating your party) except for one instance in the story. There are five playable characters in the game. However, do to the nature of the Job System and how nobody really specializes in any area at first, that's all the people you need.
Final Fantasy 5 rocks, you should really buy this game. I can't get enought of it. The battles are fun, the storyline is great, and the music is addictive.
Anything which has final fantasy in the title should be bought.
I think it has a fairly decent plot. The main character aint as interesting as some of the other leads of the other games but he does have a few shocks and twists along the way.