The Learn Japanese Thread =O

rofl xD I've been searching some things in Wikipedia and... Would my name, Rúben, be this:

ルベン ?




And how do we say "I'm sorry" and "Good luck"?
 
o_O ZEROMUS YOU ARE AMAZING! Would you be willing to help teach others, including myself?

Well, I wouldn't mind trying to help you all, but remember I'm a student too, so I wouldn't be able to answer everything. :p

ルベン

Yep, that's a perfect transliteration of 'Ruben' (which is another example of a foreign name fitting perfectly into Japanese- Ru be n).

"I'm sorry" would be 'gomen nasai' if you were being polite, if you were being casual you could just say 'gomen'. Saying 'warui' (bad) is equivalent to saying 'my bad'.

For good luck...'ganbatte' works as an interjection. For nouns, 'kou un' is 'good luck', and 'aku un' is 'bad luck'.

Kou'un - 好運【こううん】

Aku'un - 悪運【あくうん】

Ganbatte! - がんばって!
 
Hai, remember to make us learn the alphabet! If you really want to speak fluently, you need to read as well.

Also, Watashi is only used from males in a formal setting, otherwise just use "boku", and if you're using the particle wa (or ha, if it's in the middle of a word) then and you're speaking about yourself, don't even bother saying "watashi wa" or "boku wa"

*nodnod*

For a good site, go Here. it's got both alphabets, a good description of verbs, particles and other things xD

*teaching myself japanese*

Also, want to sound like a huge creeper? Then use these:

watashi wa anata ga doko ni sunde iru ka shitte iru-- I know where you live.

and

Watashi wa kanojo wo ie ni okuru. -- I'm taking her home. There ya go <3
 
Watashi isn't limited to male usage...females use it too. :p

The particle 'wa' is written as は, but always romanized as 'wa', yes.

We should try to set up some sort of lessons for learning kana and kanji.
 
Last edited:
Thank you Zeromus ^^

By the way, my name is Gonçalo
In katakana i didn't find some characters but

ゴ ン カ ヲ
Go N Ka Wo

Well I've tried my best :p
 
Last edited:
I guess I'll take over then xD

Because I can't make sure you're learning the alphabet, I won't type in it. But I recommend learning it anyway because. Yeah.

Let's start with... Basic vocabulary then, eh?

(My lessons are coming from the website I posted at the top of the page, so Copyright goes to them <3 )

We already know watashi and boku, so I'm skipping them.

anata --> You
Kanojo --> She/her
Kare--> Him/he
Kore --> This (i.e. Nani kore?: What's this?)
koko--> here
kore--> this (object)
koko--> here
kono--> this (ex. this pen)
sore--> that (object)
soko--> there
sono--> that (ex. that pen)
hito--> person
inu--> dog
neko--> cat
ie--> house
arigatou--> Thank you. (normal)
arigatou gozaimasu--> Thank you. (formal)
douitashimashite--> You're welcome. (normal)
ohayou--> Good morning.
ohayou gozaimau-->Good morning (formal)
konnichi wa--> Hello
konban wa--> Good evening.
sayonara--> Goodbye. (normal)
Hai--> Yes
iie--> No (pronounced like "Ya")
e--> Yeah (pronounce like a soft i sound (as in it))
 
Regarding iie, it's actually pronounced 'iie' (like 'ee-ay'). There's a less formal form, iya, which is pronounced 'ee-ya'. They both mean the same basic thing (no).

Thank you Zeromus ^^

By the way, my name is Gonçalo
In katakana i didn't find some characters but

ゴ ン カ ヲ
Go N Ka Wo

Well I've tried my best

ゴ ン カ ロ
That'd be Go n ka ro, but good job on your transliteration. :) It can be tricky properly transliterating something into katakana, even though it seems simple most of the time.

As usual, Wikipedia has got you covered.

Maybe I can make some sort of lesson on verbs in the near future...
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top