The Learn Japanese Thread =O

*nodnod* Now... particles <3

This is a bit complicated, so please remember to study this part HARD. This and verbs Dx;;

Japanese grammar is quite simple and straight forward but very different from English grammar so most English speakers find it rather confusing. For instance, the verb always comes at the end. The best thing you can do when learning Japanese grammar is to learn it from the bottom up and not compare it to English grammar.

Japanese grammar uses what we will refer to as particles to mark the various parts of the sentence. The main particles are: (These particles will be described in more detail below)


は wa
(as mentioned in lesson 1, the Hiragana "ha" is pronounced "wa" when it immediately follows the subject) subject marker
が ga topic marker
を wo
(pronounced "o") direct object marker
に ni direction/time marker, indirect object marker
へ e
(as mentioned in lesson 1, the Hiragana "he" is pronounced "e" when it immediately follows a place or direction) direction marker

The particles "wa" ( は ) and "ga" ( が ) : The particle "wa" marks the subject of the sentence and the particle "ga" marks the topic of the sentence. In the example, "I know where you live" (watashi wa anata ga doko ni sunde iru ka shitte iru), "I" would be the subject while "you" would be the topic.

Not all sentences have both a subject and topic and, in many cases, the subject is implied in Japanese (for example, the "I" (watashi wa) would be left out of this sentence because it is implied that since I am talking I am the one that knows where you live). Many Japanese books and teachers teach that "wa" and "ga" are the same thing and it doesn't matter which you use when. This is not the case but I wouldn't worry too much about keeping them straight at first.

The particle "wo" ( を ) : The particle "wo" (or "o") marks the direct object of the sentence. In the example, "I'm going to take her home" (watashi wa kanojo wo ie ni okuru), "her" would be the direct object.

The particle "ni" ( に ) : The particle "ni" can be used to mark the direction, time, or the indirect object of a sentence.

An example of a direction marker can be seen in the previous example "I'm going to take her home" (watashi wa kanojo wo ie ni okuru). In this case, the "ni" acts like a "to" - "I'm going to take her 'to' home". The particle "e" ( へ ) can be used in this as well but usually implies more of a general direction as opposed to a specific places.

The particle "ni" is also used to mark time in a sentence. For example, "I'm leaving at 3 o'clock" (watashi wa sanji ni hanareru).

The final use for the particle "ni" is that of indirect object marker. In the example, "I was taken home by him" (watashi wa kare ni ie made okurareta), "him" is the indirect object.

(lesson Copyright freejapaneselessons.com <3)
 
Question - How is it possible to write "Ganbatte" in hiragana?

I can't find any characters that can match the "atte" part
 
i think what we need is a mIRC chat room, just for learning japanese, anyone agree? mabey ffnet.net will put a java based chat room with abilities to start new chat rooms.
 
Possibly. You would have to bring that up to somebody with the power. But I totally think thats a good idea.
 
Obviously but she can repeat something in Japanese to make sure you guys have it down or something instead of saying that.

BAKA!!! <-------Japanese lol
 
Yeah, baka means idiot. Now are some Kanji. I've got a ton of them. So be prepared! xD

KANJI ROMAJI ENGLISH
愛 ai Love
鈴 suzu Bell
私 watashi I (female)
僕 boku I (male)
彼 kare he
彼女 kanojo she
人 hito person
犬 inu dog
猫 neko cat
家 ie house
食 べ る taberu to eat
い る iru to exist (animate) to be somewhere
見 る miru to see
話す hanasu to speak
会 う au to meet
勝 つ katsu to win
売 る uru to sell
遊 ぶ asobu to play
飲 む nomu to drink
死 ぬ shinu to die
歩 く aruku to walk
泳 ぐ oyogu to swim
消 す kesu to erase, turn off
行 く iku to go
出る deru to go out
入る hairu to go into
赤 い Akai Red
車 Kuruma Car
黄 色 い kiiroi (dv) yellow
青 い aoi (dv) blue
黒 い kuroi (dv) black
白 い shiroi (dv) white
面 白 い omoshiroi (dv) interesting, funny
暑 い atsui (dv) hot
寒 い samui (dv) cold
大 き い ookii (dv) big
小 さ い chiisai (dv) small
自 然 shizen (dn) nature
綺 麗 kirei (dn) pretty, clean
失 礼 shitsurei (dn) rude
静 か shizuka (dn) quiet
特 別 tokubetsu (dn) special
元 気 genki (dn) in good spirits
変 hen (dn) weird, strange
上 手 jouzu (dn) skillful
親 切 shinsetsu (dn) kind
素 敵 suteki (dn) "cool", good looking
一 ichi one
二 ni two
三 san three
四 shi (yon >10) four
五 go five
六 roku six
七 、 shichi (nana >10) seven
八 hachi eight
九 kyuu nine
十 juu ten
百 hyaku hundred
二時四十五分 nijiyonjuugofun 2:45
分 fun minute
時 ji o’clock, time, etc
月 gatsu, tsuki, otsuki Moon, Monday (+number=month)
日 youbi Sun, day (Sunday)
火 Hi; ka fire (latter is Tuesday)
水 mizu; sui water (latter is Wednesday)
木 ki; moku Tree (latter is for Thursday)
金 kane; kin gold (latter is for Friday))
土 tsuchi; Do dirt (latter is for Saturday)
国 kuni, koku country
号 Go Number

寝 る neru to sleep
着 る kiru to wear, put on
出 来 る dekiru can do
覚 え る oboeru to remember
来 る kuru to come
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top