Where have you gone, FFVIII?

limit breaker

Onion Knight
Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
5
Does anyone even care anymore?

Do people still hate this game?

Is the storyline REALLY that bad?
I personally think VIII is better than VII, and I'm in the minority with that, but I don't care.

Hey, there's always Zell.
 
Now, you see, I always saw Zell as a negative aspect of this game.

No, it's a great game and everything, but it doesn't really stick out when you think "Final Fantasy" anymore. This game didn't have a great villain, or, honestly, a very good story. A lot of people dislike the Junction system, usually because they don't understand it. I didn't like Junctioning too much because it seems stupid that placing your most powerful spells to boost your stats means that by using these powerful spells your stats'll go down.

I wasn't joking when I said I didn't like Zell - most of the characters in this game were boring, without enough development to make me care about them (Squall especially - I wouldn't have cared if he died any more than I would have cared if a brick wall that served no purpose was knocked down). The whole orphanage thing was also very contrived and there was no reason for the writers to even have come up with that.

The music is decent, but once again, nothing really stands out like the Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre or One-Winged Angel did. The characters were all too serious and there wasn't enough light-hearted humor to go around (Funniest part in the whole game was the chicken-wuss dialogue near the beginning. That wasn't even really funny, either).

I guess the game didn't really have that "classic" feel to it the other games do. Ah well. There's still the other FF games to keep us interested.
 
Well i personally like this game. As FFnut pointed out,

"it seems stupid that placing your most powerful spells to boost your stats means that by using these powerful spells your stats'll go down."

It would have been better if they used mp instead of magic as being used up.
My second point is that there was a big unbalancing between the characters and the GFs. The GFs were alot more stronger than the characters and THAT made me mad.

I also hated the weapon remodelling thing. It would have been better if weapons were for sale.

As from that, I liked the characters and story line (yes, I like Zell aswel :|). It wasn't such a bad game after all. :b
 
To me it's better than FF9, FF10, FF5, and FFonline. I really think it's one of the better ones.
 
KeN4628 said:
My second point is that there was a big unbalancing between the characters and the GFs. The GFs were alot more stronger than the characters and THAT made me mad.

Actually, I have to disagree. Maybe it's true in the very beginning of the game, but in the end, the single best (and by far most fun) battle tactic in FFVIII is Meltdown + Aura + Limit Breaks.
 
Well that's true. But that goes against my first point. Using magic makes you weaker (although it doesn't really matter to use your magic against Ultimecia).

Another thing I hated was the Junction Ability. I hated that you can only junction 3 abilities and Item was one of them. What I junction is Gf, draw and item (and Recover with who has Leviathan). That is another thing which I hate.
 
KeN4628 said:
Well that's true. But that goes against my first point. Using magic makes you weaker (although it doesn't really matter to use your magic against Ultimecia).

Yeah, but I don't ever use attack magic (well except Meltdown, but I don't use that for the damage..) in FFVIII anyway.. it's utterly useless IMO, you're a lot better off just using limit breaks (and avoiding every single random battle except when gaining AP or leveling with the stat boost abilities, but that's besides the point :p)

KeN4628 said:
Another thing I hated was the Junction Ability. I hated that you can only junction 3 abilities and Item was one of them. What I junction is Gf, draw and item (and Recover with who has Leviathan). That is another thing which I hate.

Yeah, it's true it's annoying that you are so limited in the number of command abilities you can equip.. but it's not like I ever use any command ability besides the standard Magic, Draw, Item and GF, never even tried most of the special ones lol. And GFs are useless as I stated earlier, so my natural choice is Magic (for support and healing only), Draw and Item :)
 
the storyline was really really messed up and the characters were annoying or boring except Zell i like Zell but the only thing i like about the game was how easy it was for me. I went into school one day with a grin on my face because i got lionheart on disc one and my friends mouths dropped that was the most fun part :D
 
limit breaker said:
Ya know...I just thought the game was really fun. That's all.
Yeah I really like it heck, I found it in the corner of my room just
collecting dust so I just popped it in and started playing yesterday. Yeah on my "Favorite Final Fantasy Game"list it's number 1, I really liked the main character so he's number 1 on my"Favorite Main Final Fantasy Game Character" list lol, but you still can't beat Sephiroth as best villain.
1.Final Fantasy VIII
2.Final Fantasy VII
3.Final Fantasy X

1.Squall
2.Cloud
3.Tidus
 
Last edited:
Originally Posted by FFnut
Kefka. Enough said.

My opinion: Sephiroth is the best villain. Enough said about that.

But i do believe FFVIII's story line was good. i think the whole thing about FFVIII is that it was different, and thats what made it interesting compared to the others. I loved the music for this one. and yes i must admit the junction idea was a little awkward.
one other thing i didnt like was the way the enemies leveled up as the player did. i prefer FFVII's strategy.
 
(Quoted by ffnut)The whole orphanage thing was also very contrived and there was no reason for the writers to even have come up with that.
How dare you, you obviously do not have a sense of character background, you would rather have everyone a mystery. FF8 is spectacular in my mind, the best character no doubt is Quistis. I loved the storyline, the characters, everything about it.
 
My personal opinion on FFVIII...I would never really rate a Final Fantasy as horrid, but this one is at the bottom of my list of favorites. AS FFnut said, junctioning powerful spells to turn your character into a god and not being able to use them because your stats would go down is just...Pointless. I mean, the constant paranoia of using Ultima when it's junctioned to your strength is nerve breaking, so you make the wrong decision in battle and waste every elixer and hero medicene you have just to kill some random boss on disc 3-4. But then, you have the limit breaks...Kinda kills the point of magic (I'm not sure whether high strength would actually dictate how much Squall would do with his limit break. Why Squall? Cause he's the only one with a good limit break)
The remodeling weapons was stupid, plain and simple, I mean, if they KNOW how to make the weapons, why not get the material themselves and make it themselves so the could make more money instead of sending poor teenagers out to get butchered just for raw materials? Now I can unstand with rare stuff such as adamant. The characters where alright, I won't say anything other than that. All in all this wasn't so bad, but it was a let down.
 
Why Squall? Cause he's the only one with a good limit break

Oh yeah? I would like to see you dish out 400k-500k in ONE turn with Squall. Zell's Duel can do that, although it's pretty difficult. But getting it above 200k per turn is VERY easy, and even that beats Squall's Renzokuken _by far_ unless he unleashes Lion Heart (with which his max damage is ~280k), and you have to be pretty damn lucky to get him to use it at all. I killed Omega Weapon by doing 3 Duels and 3 Renzokuken (one which ended with Lion Heart). Zell did about 750k damage in those 3 Duels in total, Squall did about half of that in his 3 Renzokuken.. and I'm not even that good with Duel. The "trick" is to only use the 2 simplest moves repeatedly, Booya and Heel Drop I think.
 
Last edited:
Shadowheart said:
unless he unleashes Lion Heart (with which his max damage is ~280k)

It actually reaches 280k? I only see it hitting about 240k myself.

Renzokuken (Max 7? hits) = 69993 = ~70k
Lionheart Finisher = 17 hits = 169983 = ~170k

Renzokuken + Lionheart = 239976 = ~240k, right?
 
Oh right. I just thought the max was 8 hits, and that Lion Heart was 20 hits (poor counting on my part I guess, and I haven't checked any FAQs for the real number so I just assumed it was 20).
 
limit breaker said:
Does anyone even care anymore?

Do people still hate this game?

Is the storyline REALLY that bad?
I personally think VIII is better than VII, and I'm in the minority with that, but I don't care.

Hey, there's always Zell.

We'll actually ff7 is way better since they're Cid is the sweetest!!!!!
And Yuffie would make you have the biggest laugh(even Cid...)
And Zell is sometimes funny but 1 against 2, no way!
And let me get to Selphie, she's like a pain in the butt sometimes....and funny sometimes also!

P.S.:Seifer told me to say this to all of you, CHICKHEN - WUSS!!!
 
well well well......I haven't played any FF series except FF8.....so I can't make any comparison....

I also agree that the function system is terrible......you always have to make decision between using/functioning magic~choosing those commants & abilities....all kinds of thing~

But I do think that the storyline & the characters are okay......

I stand for Squall & Riona forever~ ha ha~~
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top