I need your ideas.

Tifa. While it's true the number ove reason of a forum shouldn't be just to gain members, you have to remember that it needs members to survive. If everyone becomes inactive and only 3 members are posting, it's pretty much dead.
 
ThroneofDravaris said:
Not necessarily. Removing the spam forum might encourage members to post in the other sections. Indeed, if activity there is what you say it is (I doubt it's 90% but I haven't counted. I can't bring myself to spend my time in there) then perhaps it would be a good idea to encourage people to stop posting their and instead focus their attention on a few of the other forums. The only difference between a general thread and a spam thread is one requires you to put some actual thought into what you post. If people really have so much trouble doing this, then perhaps this IRC chat room being discussed is exactly what they are looking for.
I don't think that should be done...

If there wasn't another option, then the spamtastic should be locked, and then, after some time, opened or deleted, depending on the results.
 
darkshadow2247 said:
Tifa. While it's true the number ove reason of a forum shouldn't be just to gain members, you have to remember that it needs members to survive. If everyone becomes inactive and only 3 members are posting, it's pretty much dead.

Oh no I am not saying everyone will leave *laughs* I undersand a forum needs members to servive, don't get me wrong on that. More members would be nice, it's just to me, this is how the whole thing is comming off. Or rather how it seems. I hope I am wrong about that though. I am sure that's not the meaning behind this at all, but I am just saying from my point of view and dealing with things similar to this on many other forums, it is how it appears.

I personaly would like to keep the spam section. It's just that I think we all need a little section to goof off once and a while. I mean I have no problem with a normal conversation, however once and a while a little humor is needed. I am sure we all like to have fun and joke, and that is what the perpouse of the spam section it. To provide a place to be off topic and goof off.
 
I don't know. It may be how it is with some other people. I can't answer for them, but that's not what I was hinting at. I know that forums are held together by tightly-knit communities. It's important to keep that while attracting new members at the same time.
 
Thinking to to myself earlier today It comes down to this

If you dont like spam you dont have to visit spamtastic.

Myself I dont post very often in it due to I cant be bothered to read the posts

I would be interested in a realtime chatroom to goof off with other members though.

Heres another Idea. I have noticed that there are alot of threads on all the final fantasy forums asking for help wouldn't it be cool if they were moved/merged with the Final fantasy game information forum.

I know this would be a headache for the mods/admins to pull off but I think it would benefit the site overall if someone needed help on something and didn't have to trawl the whole site to see if anyone has posted on their particular subject they need help on.
 
Last edited:
The chat room idea seems great. Most of the time all we do is chat anyway. So why not have a place where we can do that.
 
Tifa, no-one is angry or upset because of what you are bringing up. In fact, that is the sort of thing I really do want to hear.

The general idea isn't so much to grow the member count, though outsiders finding enough of interest in the forum to want to join, and stay, is certainly a goal. It is more to revive the forum for the members we have, and entice some of our older members to return/post more. Many have left because of what they see as a downturn in the quality of the forum overall.

What we all seem to have thrashed out so far that the majority is in agreement with is..

Upgrade of the forum and RPG: That is going to happen. Can't give a timeframe though because it depends on when Shaggy has the time to do it.

Introduce an IRC: Again, this will happen.

Delete Spamtastic: No, it won't happen.

New forum areas for other games and member activities: Yes, will happen.

Ban on IM/leet/internet speak in any area outside Spamtastic: Yes, will happen.

Something else that will happen is a revamp of the forum overall. Nothing will be deleted, but some forums may be renamed, moved to different catagories ect. The aim will be to make different areas of the forum easier to navigate. I have noticed music/TV/movies threads are still being posted in Off Topic instead of That Entertainment where they should be probably because it is under another catgory and hard to find. Names and discriptions will be made clearer on all forums as well.

None of this will start until after the forum is upgraded.
 
Another suggestion if its possible make it where when your sending a pm you can use an insert use adress out of your friends list like when you send an email just an idea.
 
;) I like that idea Blackstar...like a carbon copy (CC) system...send to multiple friends with one PM...that would be cool! *givesthumbsup*

Edit: PHEW!!! I've been busy. I merged several duplicate threads under both 'General Discussion' and 'FFVII' section.' I'll continue to do this as long as Ark doesn't have a problem.

Most notably was this thread: http://www.ffnet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2584 It seemed to appear in several different ways/styles under the VII section.



Do you all feel ok with this???
 
Last edited:
I'm fine with it reason. The forum does need a clean up badly, so if you're willing to take the job on, go for it.
 
Yeah I think thats one of the problems...spam. Its ridiculous and I am not saying that I was not part of the making of it because I was...but most of the other people that were on here were here to talk about FF and we kinda traveled away from that and started talking about other things like our personal lives which is great and all but it belongs somewhere else...
I think mainly what we need is people like mods and junk to actually do their job. When you see somethig that makes no sense what so ever to the topic, get rid of it. Or tell the people that are posting to knock it off. Just "general" members can only do so much. I know for awhile the FF discussion was getting out of hand. One reason why I left. Nothing was ever done about those sections until it was blown way over board. The cleaning up the forum sounds like a good idea though. That one big thing it does need.
Sorry if I might have repeated everything somebody else might of said. I don't have the time to read every page word for word. Good luck with the cleaning.
 
I agree and I am glade we can all come to an understanding and things we like/want. I know we have admins, and mods, but if you guys ever need help I would be more than whilling as I am sure a lot of members who are here often are. Don't forget to ask your members who are hear a lot for help okay. XD

Also another thing I think would help this fourm A LOT, would be a new look. Diffrent layout. I know with my forums and other forums I take care of, we change the layout about every month to help give the forum a fresh feel. An atractive layout will help atract members, trush me. And again I would be more than whilling to help make that happen.

Love all
Tifa
 
Same here. Atleast we are all agreeing on something huh? lol. Its...refreshing if I might say so myself. :) Same here. Tifa and I can get the job done if you ever need a break! lol. Wow we sound like a super hero team huh Tifa?
A new layout sounds awesome too! Instead of the same old same old give the people something new to look at. I think you should guys should go springy or something you know. For the whole weather outside. Something that attracts the eye thats all. LIKE BLUE! Or shades of yellow and pink? Instead if the same dank black, grey and white theme going on.
 
EmpressCrystal said:
The chat room idea seems great. Most of the time all we do is chat anyway. So why not have a place where we can do that.

Exactly, most of the forum's threads here have long become chat-boxes.

IRC, *thumbs up*
 
Gackt Camui said:
Yeah I think thats one of the problems...spam. Its ridiculous and I am not saying that I was not part of the making of it because I was...but most of the other people that were on here were here to talk about FF and we kinda traveled away from that and started talking about other things like our personal lives which is great and all but it belongs somewhere else...
I think mainly what we need is people like mods and junk to actually do their job. When you see somethig that makes no sense what so ever to the topic, get rid of it. Or tell the people that are posting to knock it off. Just "general" members can only do so much. I know for awhile the FF discussion was getting out of hand. One reason why I left. Nothing was ever done about those sections until it was blown way over board. The cleaning up the forum sounds like a good idea though. That one big thing it does need.
Sorry if I might have repeated everything somebody else might of said. I don't have the time to read every page word for word. Good luck with the cleaning.

You do have a point with the moderating (sorry guys, but it is true). That isn't all their fault of course, as Shaggy and I haven't been around much to either manage moderation or ensure it is being carried out effectivly. As you all may have noticed however, I'm back, so the mods can expect whips to start cracking if they start slacking ;whi :p.

There is also the fact that members are all defacto mods. You all have the ability to report posts you find that break the rules. Please, don't be afraid of doing just that. The staff can't be everywhere and/or find everything, so every bit of help is appreciated :).
 
^^ Wich is too very helpful. I think a few more mods would still be helpful. You know pick members you know you can rely on, who are on often. Maybe just one or two. Sometimes, a few extra never hurts.

Anyhow, again I am still pulling for a new look. I am sure Hydra could pull something off, what with his 1337 *sorry for that please let it go for now, but it is true *laughs** sig making skills, and I could always help. Kelley *Gackt* would know what I do about how a forum looks. I change mine all the time XD but again all ideas. I do like the idea of a chat, however I would still like the spam section to stay for a little entertainment. It doesn't hurt once and a while to be funny. O_O just make sure the IRC we can send files! That would be nice! *Doesitalreadyalongwithbittorrents* >.>
 
The forum will probably be different after the upgrade as this skin probably won't work with the new version of vb3. Stay tuned for that, as the final decision on the look is up to Shaggy, as skins ect are handled at the server level on this software.

We do have 5 supermods, and I feel that is enough for a forum of this size. If FFnet grows, we can look at adding more later on. A large bloated mod staff isn't healthy for a forum either, so a balance needs to maintained.
 
Tifa-chan said:
...but most of the other people that were on here were here to talk about FF and we kinda traveled away from that and started talking about other things like our personal lives which is great and all but it belongs somewhere else...

I'm sorry that I'm not that interested anymore in Final Fantasy games, then. P:
 
I'm not trying to make myself look like a god or better than everyone else, nor am I just seeking admin status for personal gain - I have experience in building up forums from the technical standpoint. I'd be glad to dedicate what [little] time I have left with the forum overhaul if you need an extra hand. All these ideas that are thrown around will take some time - the new sections, clean up, possibly an IRC channel - and I'm willing to help out as needed. I leave on the 25th though.

And I think all members that have some experience with the logistics of a forum should step up to offer a hand - that's if the admin would like extra help.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top