Lost

Yggdrasill

Cruxis Angel
Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
280
Age
34
Location
Fox Rivers
Occupation
Silent Assassin, yeah, I'm right behind you.....that's how good I am.
RPG Name
Mithos
I've been thinking of making a thread about LOST for ages, I just forgot. ;_;
So who else here watches Lost? I think it's a brillant but really confusing program.

Basically, it's about 42(?) people who crash-land on an island with no reason actually explaining why (well, until the end of Season 2), usually you'd think "great, another survival program..." but this isn't any ordinary island, there are many strange things going on; there's a "monster" on the island, (which is in the shape of a massive pile of black-smoke) castaways on the island who are called "The others" and many un-solved mysteries which many people are still trying to solve even though it's been going on for 3 Season's!

So here is a thread to discuss the great TV season: Lost. Have fun discussing it. ;)
 
Remember when some people thought the monster was a bear? XD

I stopped watching Lost after they promised new episodes, and left us empty-handed. So many times. o.O

I plan to watch it when the new season rears its head though. =D
 
I'll post everything known about the monster: ;)

-The Black Smoke is only part of the monster.
-The "name" of the monster is Cerberus, remember the map on the back of the blast room door that Locke saw? Someone translated it and one of the sentences said "Failure to execute entering the numbers will result in the malfunction of the CERBERUS system."
-The monster is rumoured to be a mythological creature called a Shaggoth.
-It's not nano-bots despite the ticking sound we hear when it's around.
-It takes different forms, Eko and many other islands saw "Black-smoke", Kate saw a black horse and Locke said he saw something beautiful.
-The monster was Invisible but the dynamite Kate threw down the hole which it was in damaged it's "stealth" function.

That's all that's known about the monster so far. =P
 
Last edited:
I wonder what it really is?

I doubt they'll tell us in the third season, but possibly by the end of it, we can guess ourselves. =D
 
I thought it wasn't a monster. Russo said it was an alarm system for the island not a monster. Didn't locke get dragged almost under the ground by it. And it was something mechanical.

I love that show the only thing which annoys me about it is it keeps you wanting more of it without really answering anything making compulsive viewing.
 
I like this show,

i hate it how people say its "going too slow" and one critic said in the first 2 seasons all weve found out is that "their stuck on an island with a monster"
thats bull ;cen every episode teaches you things, while it may be slightly slow at times, its alright for me....

new season just about to be aired in Australia YAY
 
She said the "monster" was a security system, not a machine, meaning it could be there to maybe protect the island? Or to stop anyone going too far in-land?
The "monster" doesn't seem to harm anyone unless they go too far in-land. (Like when Locke, Kate and Jack were transporting the dynamite.)
If it were to be machine then it wouldn't have been able to take form of Eko's brother to try and deceive him, and later; kill him.
Btw, here is the picture of the Translated "Blast-door Map" that I mentioned earlier:

http://obsessed.potterworldonline.com/lost217/images/map01.jpg

One thing to note on it is: "Caduceas station believed to have been abandoned due to AH/MDG incident of 1985 or possible catastrophic malfunction of the Cerberus system"- The "Monster" maybe?
Here is a little animation showing the monster as well:
smoke1_208.gif

(Look above the engine to see it swoop down)
 
Last edited:
Wasn't that the screen that locke saw when he injured his leg? (the map)

I wonder what the monster really is then if it can do all these things like change form?
 
dappa said:
Wasn't that the screen that locke saw when he injured his leg? (the map)
Yeah, that's the map enlarged and translated.
dappa said:
I wonder what the monster really is then if it can do all these things like change form?
I've found something someone discovered: (Quote from Wikipedia)

# The "chattering" sound heard when the Monster is moving through the forest is identical to the sound made by Locke's printing calculator at the Box company
# The mechanical chain noise heard while Locke is being dragged through the jungle by his left foot ("Exodus: Part 2") is the same heard during Locke's vision in "Further Instructions" (when he's trying to reach the top of the escalator).
# The next line in the script after Rose says she is from the Bronx is "sounds like monkeys". This may refer to sounds heard at the Bronx Zoo, like Howler Monkeys.
# When the "arm" of the Monster is flailing around Eko in the episode "The Cost of Living", the viewer can clearly hear a mechanical sound. The sound is similar to that of gears turning, and is audible the entire time the monster's "arm" is operational.


This gives the idea that the monster sounds/looks like something which happened in the targeted person's past. Maybe it's part Machine and part Biological?
 
Last edited:
Lost has always fascinated me. I've been watching the episodes as they come to DVD as I'm always busy Wednesday nights with homegroup.

I didn't realize that it was the monster that blew up that airplane engine! How intriguing! Does this mean that it was the cause of the plane wreck to begin with? O_o I remember [the Scottish guy...Raymond???] saying that he thought it was his fault that the plane crashed because he did not press the button in time. Sucks for everyone!

If the monster is indeed taking on different forms, how come several people can witness it at once? Do they all see the same thing? And that black horse of Kate's..., that wasn't scary! :p Yesh, very confusing story indeed!

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention that Sawyer also saw the horse, right?

Me no unda stan.

;a04
 
The monster seems to target one survivor, kills thems, and moves onto another. (It killed Eko and his last words were "You're Next.")
Someone also had a clip, (I'll look for it) of the monster going inside Locke just before he woke up after the crash. (this could hint that the monster gave Locke his power to walk again)

EDIT: I've just noticed on the Blast-door map it says: "Kev-4? Or possible location of zoological research facility." maybe this is why the others have cages near where they stay? Maybe it's why there's polar-bears on the island?

reasoniamalive said:
If the monster is indeed taking on different forms, how come several people can witness it at once?
The Black-smoke always seems to retreat before two people can see it at the same time in it's true form(The Black-smoke form), like when Eko was looking the water and saw the reflection of the Black-smoke (and he heard the chattering sound); it retreated when Locke, Desmond and the others came shouting Eko's name.
 
Last edited:
dappa said:
Eko dies? I have seen the first two series. Does this happen on the third series?
Yeah, it's in the 3rd series.
Funny thing is; when it picked him up and started smacking him against loads of trees you could clearly hear a crane cranking. Maybe it is a machine afterall.

The question is:
How can a machine change it's size? (when it's going through the jungle it's really small but when it confronts someone it's massive) Take different forms? (Jack's dead dad, Yemi, the black horse and Dave.) Roar like it's an actual creature? (when it sees someone it always roars.)
Thing is; it sounds like a machine, even it's noise when it's flying through the jungle sounds like a machine. (The ticking sound)
 
Last edited:
It's definitely part machine.
It gives off so many sounds which hint at it being a machine.

-The Crane's sound
-The Ticking
-Air Pressure being released
-Cranking
-Gears turning
-Chattering
-Screeching of the metal
-The clicking sound. (Which has now been stated that this only happens when it's looking at the memories of one for the survivors.)

Hmm, wonder it really is, the producers of LOST better give us the answer soon. =P
 
Last edited:
I think the Monster will be one of those mysteries which will never be explained, the survivors have absolutely no idea what it even is yet and it's not like the others are going to tell them what it is, they may not have ever even seen it.
The producers will have to explain what it is by making the survivors finally figure out what it is, if it is a creature and not a machine; that may never happen.

Personally, I now think it's a machine, the noises it makes and the shape it's arm turned into when it grabbed Eko show some proof that it's part machine. I really want to know what the numbers "4,8,15,16, 23 and 42" mean though, and what the hieroglyphics on the hatch timer mean as well.
 
Last edited:
Yggdrasill said:
I think the Monster will be one of those mysteries which will never be explained, the survivors have absolutely no idea what it even is yet and it's not like the others are going to tell them what it is, they may not have ever even seen it.
The producers will have to explain what it is by making the survivors finally figure out what it is, if it is a creature and not a machine; that may never happen.

Personally, I now think it's a machine, the noises it makes and the shape it's arm turned into when it grabbed Eko show some proof that it's part machine. I really want to know what the numbers "4,8,15,16, 23 and 42" mean though, and what the hieroglyphics on the hatch timer mean as well.
I gathered a little info about the numbers. =P
 
Hydra said:
I gathered a little info about the numbers. =P
Could you share it please. =P
The numbers are what I trying to figure out at the moment.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top