You asked...this is your only warning:
Love is a choice...you don't always FEEL like loving a friend or a family member. Sometimes we get emotions mixed up with love. There is a reason behind that and other causes of confusion due to "love." This is what I mean...
1) Phileo - brotherly love. "I love him like family."
2) Eros - from Greek (where we get the English word for Erotic) This is one-sided, intimate or sexual "love."
3) Agape - unconditional love (also known as 'true' love.) This is the type of love "He" has for us (as Hydra illuded to above.)
You can gather why everyone is confused as to what love is when we have been subject to different "types" of love. In other words, there were once different words to describe what someone meant by the way in which they loved up - either as friends, erotically, or unconditionally - which have been lost into a neverending pit that is now called only "love."
"I love my dog." "I love my house." I love you." "I love you too..." [kinda] I used to get so perturbed at life when it gave me lemons, but this simple truth helped me to understand what love - in all it's forms - means and is. I believe love is a choice. God doesn't have to love us - but, for some reason He chooses to offer His love - although we sometimes don't even acknowledge Him. "Rain falls on the just and the unjust."
- 1st John 4:8 "Whoever does not love [agape] does not know God, because God is love [agape]." NIV
I also agree with Zeromus_X when he wrote that love cannot exist w/o hate. At least in this fallen world. Like Yin and Yang, light and dark, hot and cold...I would not know the latter existed w/o having experienced the first.