What draws you to final fantasy and rpgs in general?

Gackt Camui said:
What? It cost you to play the game?? I am really confused now.

What Reason means is that, new, you would buy a game like FF12 for 50 bucks, tops, right? Well, you get 15 times MORE fun and entertainment out of an RPG (assuming that it would take you 50 hours to beat it--it took me WAY longer, because I wanted to get the most out of the game. =} ) A normal film, on the other hand, which can cost 20 bucks or more, provides far less entertainment--only 2 or 3 hours to enjoy it (not counting DVD special features and whatnot.)

But getting directly to the point, when Reason says that per hour of the game it only costs .25 (cents), HE means just how much that you get out of it by what you paid for the game. But you're not really paying for it as you play, silly. XD

Argh, rambling sure is fun. :D

Which now brings me to something on a similar notion; I have noticed that in a lot of RPG's today, they like to drag ON cutscenes a lot of the time. It feels as if I AM watching a movie sometimes, rather than actually playing the game. And then there comes a long droll point where you're going through the game without ANY storyline, or cutscenes whatsoever. And I have to say, it does get boring and tedious doing nothing but going through places and leveling up, without anything else interesting happening with the characters until you get to a certain point (which takes a very long time to get to.)

I know, I KNOW that in some older games there WAS a more perfect balance of cutscenes and gameplay, and even a cross between the two (where you get to do something during a cutscene, like move around.) Whatever happened to that balance? Or is this all just me? @_@

*another edit* I'm a guy = 3
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't 'ya mean reasoniamalive?

But I understand his logic, and you certainly get your fills worth when you pay. o_O
 
Hydra said:
Don't 'ya mean reasoniamalive?

But I understand his logic, and you certainly get your fills worth when you pay. o_O

....*edits, then bangs head on the wall several times*

Yeah. Yep. Better than a 2 hour long movie, I say...I think that overall, games are better than movies, length-wise (and often story-wise, too. >^ )
 
Oh yeah okay now I get what you are saying lol. Wow...that went right over my head some how lol.
I like looking at all the unique costumes to that the characters have. They make great cosplay if you have the time :P
 
Even if you don't have time to cosplay (which sadly - I do not) sometimes their costumes can be RLY awesome, I agree.

Yes, What the good Doctor said was correct about paying $50 (or more) and playing the heck outta the game means you actually pay less and less [per hour] than you would if you watched (went to/bought) a movie....unless you buy Waterworld and watch it over and over again (like I do.) = 333
 
Loz...if only he was a real man. I would already have him for myself! *cough* lol
I like the music and all but don't you kind of think that it can get a little corny from time to time?
 
Depends on the music/game/situation. The Dun-dun-un-dun -duh duuuuun...normal battle music in X can get annoying because that's the only non-boss battle music they play. =( But I could never tire from hearing the 'To Zanarkand' song. <3
 
lol Yeah. Boss music can get annoying especially when you hear it over and over again because you can't seem to beat em. lol
 
In a lot of final fantasy games and rpgs there is a common story where some evil force or empire has enslaved the world and the worlds citizens bury their heads in the sands to the situation, not daring to do anything about it for fear of persecution or death.

Out of nowhere a small group of people against the odds go on a quest to stop the evil and put a stop to it and come out on top. Now that is a brill storyline or what!
 
I think rpg's are awesome because you get to equip your character with everything from armor, to weapons, to magic and get to control aspects of the game. You have free reign to go almost anywhere you want and you can see your characters grow stronger and better. Getting a level up is one of the best feelings ever
 
For me its like an adventure that takes u to a different world. Like picking up a book but its like alive in ur televion and u control the destiny of the characters.Im an aspiring writer so anything that involves reading im there.I love hearing.., listening to and of corse writing stories of many kinds. im not very picky.A good friend once told me '"In the world every book has an ENDING------But in life every ENDING is a new BEGINING............" and i stick to that belief. i thinks its always healthy to learn lessons from others through their stories. so yep that about sums it up 4 me. :D
'
 
Ah...it's been a while since I last looked at the topic.

I always look for a great musical score in an RPG. A soundtrack can easily play out every event, every emotion and feeling coming from a character...just so many things can come out of a song that speak to you with indiscribable words. Although, it's very rare that an RPG's music is even on a competent level--it takes something really amazing to impress me. And, even though not always, most music from the FF games never ceases to make an impression on me every time I listen to a song. =]
 
"What draws you to final fantasy and rpgs in general? "

That is one of the most interesting (to me, that is) questions I've heard in a long while. I'll answer in two parts:

What draws you to final fantasy...

The very high quality and intuitve user friendly aspects of the games. (Although, after FFX and after Sakaguchi san left Square, that quality did decrease).

and rpgs in general?

Well with the battles and exploring towns/dugeons etc and interacting with many NPCs and buying, selling, etc, I feel there is a depth to RPGs that other games don't always match. Sometimes RPG stories are VERY immersive. It seems many (NOT ALL) non RPGs are not as good at this. (Immersive stroies, that is).
 
Final Fantasy VII has driven me to RPGs and to Final Fantasy series. It's really that easy.
 
i must admit that before i played my first final fantasy which was ff7 i had only ever played two other rpg's. I found these other 2 games stepping stones to final fantasy 7.

I really loved final fantasy 7 so much that it drew me into thinking to myself "that one was good lets play em all"

I'm glad i did play them all
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top